• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Keep in mind that Vermont requires a PCR test to break quarantine early. The rapid antigen test is not accepted. Because of a recent spike in demand, it takes about 5-7 days to get the PCR test results. So your best case scenario is a quarantine of 12 days if you begin your quarantine in Vermont.
I get my pcr test results back in less then 24hrs from labcorp

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Utah is not looking good. Will be the first time in 20 years I don't go there..we will see.

No but it does look to be slowing down. November 10-17th statewide ICU numbers went up 11 people from 185 to 196. November 3rd to 10th it shot up 33 people from 152 to 185. Positivity rate has stabilized on the "official" data which tracks rolling 7-day positivity so it's only up to November 10 now. Since then through my quick calculations the daily positivity rate has been down somewhat.

I think Utah is in a better spot than Colorado right now. Both states had roughly the same average daily number of cases a month ago, at 1,200 new cases a day. Utah's is up to 3,000 now, Colorado is approaching 5,000 new cases a day and hospitalizations jumped huuuuge yesterday.

jimk

There are about ten million people in the greater Wash-Balt metro area. The three most popular ski areas (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop, all owned by Vail) for day-tripping from these two cities are clustered about 90 minutes away in south-central PA. By Pennsylvania state order issued November 17, 2020, travelers entering Pennsylvania from other states must have a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entering the Commonwealth or quarantine for 14 days upon entry into Pennsylvania.
Don't know how long these restrictions will remain in place, but if they still apply when the resorts open in December for the season it will be a big-time impediment for the vast majority of their customer base.

Pez

I've been trying to get a PS5 with no luck. Probably should invest in a new pair of snowshoes too.

dblskifanatic

I get my pcr test results back in less then 24hrs from labcorp
We had a PCR test prior to going to Turk & Caicos and mine to 4 days which was fine since it had to be within 5 days prior to boarding the plane. It was a bit stressful. Friends that were meeting us there had their PCR test results in 2 days. So the results vary.

nhskier1969

There are about ten million people in the greater Wash-Balt metro area. The three most popular ski areas (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop, all owned by Vail) for day-tripping from these two cities are clustered about 90 minutes away in south-central PA. By Pennsylvania state order issued November 17, 2020, travelers entering Pennsylvania from other states must have a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entering the Commonwealth or quarantine for 14 days upon entry into Pennsylvania.
Don't know how long these restrictions will remain in place, but if they still apply when the resorts open in December for the season it will be a big-time impediment for the vast majority of their customer base.
Unless you are a protester, then you can do whatever you want.

dblskifanatic

So I have a question - How many here believe restaurants are responsible for recent covid spread? I ask this because we eat out often 3-4 times per week since they opened back up and in 4 different states and it seems that if restaurants were that risky my wife and I would have gotten it by now.

California is shutting down restaurants again, New Mexico has, Colorado is now at 25% capacity. Florida seems to be doing the opposite.

People we know locally that work in the industry are scared about their jobs and I think they could remain open as they were. I think politicians want to be seen as having an answer and make decisions that contradict. Football is being played at all levels, Airlines like Delta and American are packing their planes, Universities opened up, rioting is still happening, etc.

drjeff

So I have a question - How many here believe restaurants are responsible for recent covid spread? I ask this because we eat out often 3-4 times per week since they opened back up and in 4 different states and it seems that if restaurants were that risky my wife and I would have gotten it by now.

California is shutting down restaurants again, New Mexico has, Colorado is now at 25% capacity. Florida seems to be doing the opposite.

People we know locally that work in the industry are scared about their jobs and I think they could remain open as they were. I think politicians want to be seen as having an answer and make decisions that contradict. Football is being played at all levels, Airlines like Delta and American are packing their planes, Universities opened up, rioting is still happening, etc.

Unless you're talking a true, shoulder to shoulder for an extended time situation like in a true bar setting, the data in general just doesn't show that restaurants, when utilized in a socially distanced table spacing way, are the cause,

A good deal of what is causing the spike now is traced back to often at home gatherings, around Halloween, where mask use, social distancing, and often a few adult beverages, were involved.

If a full scientific, as opposed to a bit of reactionary paranoia, was taken with the approach to things, you'd likely see a much more normal day to day society with respect to most businesses, with a bit of mask use, social distancing and hand/face hygiene added in, And no major spreader events attributed to restaurants

Reactions: Los

fbrissette

Vermont's case load is starting to look pretty similar to their neighbouring states. Let people come, enforce mask mandates and social distanciation. With this, you can ski safely.

In Quebec currently, 75 percent of the cases either come from school or workplace, with the majority of the rest coming from (mostly illegal) indoor meetings. Odds are you'll catch this thing by spending hours INDOOR without masks and/or adequate social distanciation. Stopping out of state skiers is plain dumb. Shut down restaurants/bars, make sure they wear mask when grocery shopping, but let them come and ski.

nhskier1969

This is economic suicide. If they need to shut down business, they better wait until another PPP comes out. They shut down business without emmediate PPP money, over half of the buisnesses in the US will fail. By closing restaurants now, most single point restaurants won't make it until middle of January.

JimG.

Staff member

We have eaten out a few times at restaurants of people I know and trust. The only thing as sanitary as a well run restaurant is a well run doctor's office or hospital.

I totally agree with you about totally non-essential activities such as pro sports, flying or demonstrating. All the resources wasted on those things should be devoted to schools, universities and healthcare.

nhskier1969

Too bad we wasted the 3 trillion we already spent.
Agree, the problem with the first go around is there were alot of buisness that got it but didn't deserve it. IE Havard for 46 million. The next go around should be for companies that sales have gone down 50% or more. That would weed out the over half that got it last time. Like a said in a comment before, If local government shuts down local business before there is aid to these businesses most won't make it thru January.
You also can say the same thing about local ski areas. If they shut down the ski resort all the mom and pop resorts will go under. Leaving the Ikon and epic companies buying these resorts for pennies of the dollar. Do readers in this thread really think guys like Magic, Burke, Bolton Valley will make it thru this winter if half of the season is shut down?