• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Los

No need to get personal, and you’re mischaracterizing what I’m doing.
No need to get personal, and you’re mischaracterizing what I’m doing.
What you’re actually doing - virtuously decreeing from on high what constitutes “bad science” and then heroically doing what must be done to protect us simpletons from such “misinformation” - is just as bad (and childish and pathetic).

Los

I took this screen shot from a CNN article. I didn't realize that over 1.2 million Americans die from Heart disease and Cancer each year. This has been talked about a million times but what will actually be the death rate from only coronavirus. The numbers attached have to go down this year, So how many were from thier underlining condition before corona and what does the death certificate say.
And just what the hell are you implying?? Better be careful or the hall monitor will report you. I suggest you submit your comments to Edd for pre-screening. Here’s here to protect us, after all.

Edd

And just what the hell are you implying?? Better be careful or the hall monitor will report you. I suggest you submit your comments to Edd for pre-screening. Here’s here to protect us, after all.
Who’re you mad at?

EPB

I took this screen shot from a CNN article. I didn't realize that over 1.2 million Americans die from Heart disease and Cancer each year. This has been talked about a million times but what will actually be the death rate from only coronavirus. The numbers attached have to go down this year, So how many were from thier underlining condition before corona and what does the death certificate say.
For as much as some want to pontificate about their ability to "understand the science", we know that ~99.8% of people recover from COVID-19 including the elderly and immunocompromised. If you're neither, your odds improve significantly. Mitigation has always been about protecting the elderly and immunocompromised, but a big chunk of the country (the overwhelming majority of which is relatively low risk) is wrapped up in a frenzy because they think the science tells them so.

If one contracts COVID-19, they're probably going to be fine. This is what the data tell us. That said, one should still wear a mask when coming in contact with people indoors because the disease spreads like crazy. This is also what the data tell us. The tribal response to all this has been pathetic and embarrassing.

I'm really hoping vaccine distribution starts in meaningful numbers, soon. Being cooped up like this is unhealthy for everyone, and it shows up in the level of discourse here to faceplant's point.

drjeff

Exactly.

What many who are fixated on the "COVID-19 deaths" numbers may not grasp, is that annually in the US now, there are about 2.8 million deaths from all causes. That works out to an average, about 8800 deaths per day in the US.

If one wants to arbitrarily set March 15 as the start of the COVID deaths in the US, in the subsequent 8 months, there would of been about 1.8 million total deaths in the US, and from the CDC numbers, this year doesn't seem to be running much different than the normal for total deaths in the US.

Keeping perspective of what the data means, rather than just panicing over what the headline says, is an important thing. Wear a mask, practice proper hand and face hygiene, use social distancing, and take a deep breathe on occasion when reading the headlines that many organizations put out there

Puck it

I realize you’re asking rhetorically, but I’ll respond anyway, just for the fun of it.

Answer: anyone who tries to control what someone else says, does, or thinks. Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in the free and open exchange of ideas - even bad ones.
That makes no sense nowadays. It can only be one side. Don't you know that.

EPB

Who’re you mad at?
Full disclosure: you seem like a well intentioned guy and I don't feel this way about you. I even agree with the sentiment that the video isn't necessary here (but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - I'm no saint).

That said, I would have expected that before proclaiming you've asked posts so be censored, you considered that you ran the risk of coming off like thought police from 1984. Judging by your apparent surprise, I kinda doubt it.

Puck it

Keeping perspective of what the data means, rather than just panicing over what the headline says, is an important thing. Wear a mask, practice proper hand and face hygiene, use social distancing, and take a deep breathe on occasion when reading the headlines that many organizations put out there
So 6ft or 1m because, there are conflicting views on that number too.

Edd

Full disclosure: you seem like a well intentioned guy and I don't feel this way about you. I even agree with the sentiment that the video isn't necessary here (but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - I'm no saint).

That said, I would have expected that before proclaiming you've asked posts so be censored, you considered that you ran the risk of coming off like thought police from 1984. Judging by your apparent surprise, I kinda doubt it.
Wasn’t surprised, and “thought police” is dramatic. It’s not too much to ask that coo-coo COVID denier garbage not be in the forum. There are sooooo many places on the internet for that. Other posters here talking about the vibe going downhill are talking about crap like that.

Puck it

Wasn’t surprised, and “thought police” is dramatic. It’s not too much to ask that coo-coo COVID denier garbage not be in the forum. There are sooooo many places on the internet for that. Other posters here talking about the vibe going downhill are talking about crap like that.
I have been watching this thread and there are a lot of doom and gloom views in it. I have been pretty quiet but i am sick of seeing the one sided views and then if someone posts a view from another perspective it is attacked. It is all about the science until the science does not fit the narrative. This thing is infectious more than the flu but it is only slightly more deadly than the flu per a peer viewed paper in the WHO journal. Did you read the paper from the Danish journal about masks. The data showed no statistical difference, however the authors stated that is was not a bad idea to wear one. Paraphrasing of course. I could go on and on about how things are presented only side. There are so many news items that are grabbed from non-peer review papers that gets put out as fact. Science has always been about differing points of view that can be supported by data and then discussed. The media and all of them only want readers and viewers to go and keep them on both sides.

I could go on and on about things. Efficacy vs Effectiveness of Vaccines and the PCR test (aka golden test) is a lab test and not really a diagnostic test.

People are already telling posting on Cannon's Facebook that skiing will be a super spreader event and out of staters should stay. Just like they did to close NH resorts in the spring. If you don't want to go just stay home and stay cloistered. Let some of us have some fun in environment that has not been proven to spread anything.

EPB

It's really not. Your world view bends pretty far one way, and that guy bends pretty far the other. You asked for the perspective you disagree with to be censored. It's as cut and dry as it comes.

We're mostly adults of above average intellect here. It's a luxury sport board after all. I don't get why you think that people need or appreciate your filter. I'm sure some people with your world view like it, but that ties back to tribal rot... A simple "come on - this video doesn't need to be here" would have been plenty, but you proudly went the extra mile to call in the censors.

I remember this guy Grillled Steeze Sandwich, or something like that, getting banned for being a 9/11 conspiracy nut back in the day. Other than that, I can't think of anyone being asked to censor or ban people like I've seen since the pandemic set in. Frankly, I give people of all stripes the benefit of the doubt given how cooped up we all are. That said, the politics are gotten out of control, (and again, I'm no saint), but you have not been part of the solution (of course, along with the usual right leaning suspects, too).

Edd

It's really not. Your world view bends pretty far one way, and that guy bends pretty far the other. You asked for the perspective you disagree with to be censored. It's as cut and dry as it comes.

We're mostly adults of above average intellect here. It's a luxury sport board after all. I don't get why you think that people need or appreciate your filter. I'm sure some people with your world view like it, but that ties back to tribal rot... A simple "come on - this video doesn't need to be here" would have been plenty, but you proudly went the extra mile to call in the censors.

I remember this guy Grillled Steeze Sandwich, or something like that, getting banned for being a 9/11 conspiracy nut back in the day. Other than that, I can't think of anyone being asked to censor or ban people like I've seen since the pandemic set in. Frankly, I give people of all stripes the benefit of the doubt given how cooped up we all are. That said, the politics are gotten out of control, (and again, I'm no saint), but you have not been part of the solution (of course, along with the usual right leaning suspects, too).
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Puck it

I reported his report. LOL

Puck it

We’ll have to agree to disagree.
Yes that is the way things work in human nature befor that last 20 years or so. It has gotten so bad that if you have the same view than the person is offended and goes name calling from both sides. I had to this happen in our extended family and it is the reason that my family will be having turkey day in Franconia.

Los

I have zero problem with someone’s opinion being derided, if you think it’s worthy of derision. But to effectively call the police on that person to stop them from voicing their opinion at all is disgusting.

Edd

I have zero problem with someone’s opinion being derided, if you think it’s worthy of derision. But to effectively call the police on that person to stop them from voicing their opinion at all is disgusting.
You keep being personal. Getting into it with that guy is pointless. Mods aren’t the police and I’ve never reported a post in any forum. I also told him straight because I thought it was the forthright thing to do, which took about 5 seconds of consideration. Forums do get moderated for various reasons.

Nobody is restricting freedoms, certainly not me. That’s another overly-dramatic take.

cdskier

Did you read the paper from the Danish journal about masks. The data showed no statistical difference, however the authors stated that is was not a bad idea to wear one. Paraphrasing of course. I could go on and on about how things are presented only side.

That study is very specific and proves very little with all the numerous limitations of how the study was performed and what it was specifically intended to test.
  • Didn't actually test mask effectiveness itself
  • Was performed in a location where most people around you didn't wear masks (so mainly testing whether masks significantly protect the wearer)
  • Was performed during a time when covid numbers were relatively low (so risk was low to begin with)
  • Was performed while people were actively performing social distancing with many things still closed or on lockdown (again reducing risk to begin with)
  • Was designed specifically to test whether it reduced risk by 50% or more (therefore there could actually be benefits of smaller amounts, but the study wasn't large enough to adequately measure that)
  • Relied on self-reporting of people on whether they followed the instructions and wore the masks or wore them properly (so who knows if they did or not)
The problem is that people focus on studies like that to help their "case" that masks are pointless (which isn't at all what the study says). They take the results out of context and don't adequately understand it. And people taking things out of context and spreading inaccurate information is a big reason why we're where we are today. If people didn't try to constantly claim that "masks are useless", maybe we'd be in a much better situation than what we are. And the problem with the Internet in general is that it makes it incredibly easy for that inaccurate information to go viral and be shared with people who won't take the time to check into it any further on their own.