• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

kingslug

Its going to be interesting at places like Stowe where it hit super negative windchills. If the top lodge is not open your kind of screwed. Wonder how many people will pack up mid day after freezing all morning. And if they don't open the bottom lodge...parking lot will look like Mad Max.....

drjeff

Its going to be interesting at places like Stowe where it hit super negative windchills. If the top lodge is not open your kind of screwed. Wonder how many people will pack up mid day after freezing all morning. And if they don't open the bottom lodge...parking lot will look like Mad Max.....

My hunch is that after a few weekends of "trial and error" that the main plan that both the states and resorts have drawn up, will need to have an eraser taken to parts of it, and then morphed to some realities that actually play out.

And the odds that multiple videos of people freaking out that they're being denied access to some lodge and/or other warming facility this season are quite high for sure!

Slidebrook87

With distancing (which is already achieved when skiing), masks (which most of us had on even pre-COVID) and capacity restrictions and mask mandates in lodges, I predict that there will be a very low risk for transmission. Not to mention the gloves and goggles that we’ve been wearing for years can now function as PPE. Certain areas across New England have seen an influx in summer visitors yet due do mask and distancing mandates, have not seen a spike in cases. The only real risk for transmission is off mountain gatherings. As long as safety measures are in place I predict this season to be a very low risk environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhskier1969

Can anyone make sense how the Governor of NY decided the ski areas regulations for the upcoming season? 50% capacity in the lodges(which is great). But 25% capacity outdoors on busy days? Doesn't make sense. If it isn't a busy day will the capacity be 100%?
Ever state seems to be making the rules up as they go along without much thought.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 2.42.35 PM.jpg

mbedle

Can anyone make sense how the Governor of NY decided the ski areas regulations for the upcoming season? 50% capacity in the lodges(which is great). But 25% capacity outdoors on busy days? Doesn't make sense. If it isn't a busy day will the capacity be 100%?
Ever state seems to be making the rules up as they go along without much thought.

View attachment 27084

The news stations got it wrong, the state is requiring a 25% reduction in outdoor capacity. This is from the state website:

State guidance on the reopening of ski resorts includes the following precautions:

Masks required at all times, except when eating/drinking or skiing.
Social distancing between parties required at all times.
Restrict gondolas/lifts to members of the same party.
Limit ski lessons to no more than 10 people.
Thorough cleaning and disinfection of shared/rented equipment.
Shuttles, food & beverage, retail service must conform to State-issued guidance.
Reduce outdoor capacity on mountain by 25% during "peak" days or if multiple trails are closed due to unseasonable conditions.

slatham

The news stations got it wrong, the state is requiring a 25% reduction in outdoor capacity. This is from the state website:

State guidance on the reopening of ski resorts includes the following precautions:

Masks required at all times, except when eating/drinking or skiing.
Social distancing between parties required at all times.
Restrict gondolas/lifts to members of the same party.
Limit ski lessons to no more than 10 people.
Thorough cleaning and disinfection of shared/rented equipment.
Shuttles, food & beverage, retail service must conform to State-issued guidance.
Reduce outdoor capacity on mountain by 25% during "peak" days or if multiple trails are closed due to unseasonable conditions.

So peak days are 75%. So normal peak is 10,000 people, this year its 7,500. Personally I think the lodge capacity is the real constraining factor.

drjeff

So peak days are 75%. So normal peak is 10,000 people, this year its 7,500. Personally I think the lodge capacity is the real constraining factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if some lodges, especially one's known for folks who just sit in the lodge all day, eventually have "ticket checkers" at the entrance to the lodge to ensure that those inside of it are truly just there for a quick use situation, rather than a prolonged stay while others in their party are out on the slopes....

abc

I wouldn't be surprised if some lodges, especially one's known for folks who just sit in the lodge all day, eventually have "ticket checkers" at the entrance to the lodge to ensure that those inside of it are truly just there for a quick use situation, rather than a prolonged stay while others in their party are out on the slopes....
I don't know how much social pressure works.

With 50% capacity, there could very well be a long line outside. Will the "lodge Moms" still camp inside the lodge?

Also, how many people feels comfortable sitting indoors for several hours when they don't have to?

Hawk

A few days a year. Maybe 5. Zero is fine with me but once it gets below zero it is tough. Also I can not ski fast groomers or GS style once it gets real cold. I stick to woods and bumps and I am fine.

slatham

How often is it so cold that you can't stay outside all day or as long as you want?

For AZ'ers not often. But what about the general skiing public? Jill and Joe skier and their little kids, different story.....

drjeff

How often is it so cold that you can't stay outside all day or as long as you want?
The more into middle age I get, even with better clothing and other insulating/accessory heat generating items, the more the cold starts to get to me, and sooner in my ski day, than it used to.

My peripheral circulation isn't what it used to be, and even with a fully warm core, my fingers and toes eventually get cold in spite of all the warming items I use that let me stay out longer than I could without them...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

mikec142

For me...I could pretty much stay out all day. But my wife and teenage daughters need to warm up. Gonna be an interesting season, that's for sure.

Smellytele

My grill will get a lot more use this year. Probably mix it up with more than just burgers and dogs as well. Sausages w/ onion and pepper - chicken - steak. Maybe warm up some pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

My peripheral circulation isn't what it used to be, and even with a fully warm core, my fingers and toes eventually get cold in spite of all the warming items I use that let me stay out longer than I could without them...
That applies to me also. I don't really "get cold" in my core. But long before I "feel cold", my fingers and toes would freeze. :(

My fingers in particular, gets cold really easily. I wore mittens even in "normal" days. On cold days, I had to consciously move my fingers (make a fist, open hand, repeat). Or my fingers would lose feeling. When I take my mittens off, my fingers were terribly cold to the touch.

My toes too, got cold easily as well. There, there's not much I could do. Between getting decent control with my boots, and keeping my feet reasonably warm but without sweaty, my toes just got the short shift. Even on normal days, I could only do about 3 to 4 hours before my toes got so cold I had to warm them up indoors.

On really cold days, I could only ski an hour before my toes lose feeling. I dare not go much beyond that for fear of doing permanent damage to my extremities.

This coming season, with limited access to lodges in reduced capacity, and the heighten risk indoors, it may turn out to be mostly short days on the mountains for me. (that is not such a tragedy though, as I expect to do mostly day trips without overnight stay, the drive before and after skiing would be less tiring with a shorter day)

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
It really sounds like few people will be able to handle skiing this coming season.

I'm beginning to think that it will be an outstanding season with few crowds and excellent conditions if, as usual, the weather cooperates.

abc

It really sounds like few people will be able to handle skiing this coming season.

I'm beginning to think that it will be an outstanding season with few crowds and excellent conditions if, as usual, the weather cooperates.
With the capacity cap, it's going to be less crowded slope at the minimum. You may have even quieter slopes later in the day as many had quit.

For peak period, that is.

Slidebrook87

Just going out on a limb that it’s actually going to be a pretty busy season. Everybody has been cooped up for half a year at this point and a visit to the mountains in a safe manner is very appealing. Who knows, but that’s just my prediction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk