• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

BenedictGomez

That's kinda funny if it's true. I haven't paid an once of attention to the future regarding this virus. Just gotta take things day-by-day. It's another day with very low new cases. 7-day rolling average of new cases back to late June levels.

Has it going higher than even back in April.

COVID.png
[/url][/img]

NYDB

You're getting ahead of yourself...

Much of the country has been back to school the past two weeks...aren't we supposed to see an "explosion" in cases right about now? Daily new cases the past two days have been the lowest since mid-June. I'm not trying to be optimistic or snarky or a conspiracy theorist here...but I've yet to see any prediction with this virus come true. According to Bill Gate's model circa mid-April we were supposed to be done with Covid last month lol.

Yeah, I mean I (or anyone) really doesn't know. If covid ends up being a big nothingburger this fall/winter or there is a widely distributed and available vaccine I will jumping for joy. I guess all this fake news I read must be bringing me down.

I want to be flying to Snowbird and Jackson Hole this winter and hitting all the IKON VT I can eat in between my Magic Days. That would be sweet. But it just doesn't seem like we have put in the effort as a nation to make that a reality. The northeast is looking good, but many other regions are not.

Funky_Catskills

Yeah, I mean I (or anyone) really doesn't know. If covid ends up being a big nothingburger this fall/winter or there is a widely distributed and available vaccine I will jumping for joy. I guess all this fake news I read must be bringing me down..

I can't wait for the day when our news sources are trusted again and not blasted by people when the news is now what they want to hear...

drjeff

I can't wait for the day when our news sources are trusted again and not blasted by people when the news is now what they want to hear...

I sincerely hope that we can get back to the day when news sources, and the public's belief about news sources, is all about the who's, what's, where's, when's, why's and how's that it once was, verses what it is now.

Sadly, I am not so certain that can happen, as the group think (and react against those who subscribe to a different group think view) mentality, over individual critical thinking skills have certainly shifted towards the group think/react side of the pendulum

EPB

But it just doesn't seem like we have put in the effort as a nation to make that a reality. The northeast is looking good, but many other regions are not.

What do you mean by this? The northeast was hit hardest upfront and (hopefully) we are best positioned going forward because of how hard we got hit already. We also did a terrible job protecting the elderly which is a key driving force behind the off-the-charts death/million figures in the Northeast vs. the rest of the country (and really the rest of the world). Presumably you're well aware that the average age of a COVID-19 victim approximates the US life expectancy and that your governor refuses to release nursing home death data because it would make him look bad (if it would make him look good, we'd have it, of course). The response across the Hudson was no more effective.

Granted, we got inundated especially bad due to the amount of international travel coming in and out of the northeast that doesn't make it to middle America. Greater NYC is also the most densely populated place in the US. This put us at a decided disadvantage vis-a-vis Salt Lake City, for example. That said, I have a hard time understanding how you get to the conclusion that 'greater NYC=good and UT/WY=bad given' there is no evidence-based reason to feel this way, just emotionally-based ones.

cdskier

Would be nice if news sources actually just reported the news instead of trying to put some sort of spin on every single little thing.

EPB

Would be nice if news sources actually just reported the news instead of trying to put some sort of spin on every single little thing.
Agreed. Credibility has to be continually earned. I really hope it soon gets damaged to the point that a mea culpa is on the horizon.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

mister moose

One factor in news is the shift to profitability. Broadcast news used to be like weather, time, traffic, other public announcements. CNN 24 hour news channel was one of the changes that ushered in news as a revenue source. That has resulted in more competition, but what we got looks a lot more like tabloid than investigative reporting. Even weather, while not pushing an agenda like wet or dry or hot or cold, delivers any storm forecast with a YOU MUST WATCH ALL UPDATES urgency. It seems to be about the race for eyeballs, not accuracy.

Not only news has adopted tabloid entertainment, entertainment shows have now adopted "news". Late night shows, once consisting of TV star interviews, comedy monologues, and sketches, now almost universally start off with 15 minutes of "news" commentary. Shows like "The View" fill slots formerly occupied by soap operas. Morning news shows have expanded into marathons. Where as the message of an episode of Andy Griffith or Dick Van Dyke was mostly humor with a little relationship drama, now an hour of evening programming contains messages of societal agendas.

It's a different landscape.

zyk

You're getting ahead of yourself...

Much of the country has been back to school the past two weeks...aren't we supposed to see an "explosion" in cases right about now? Daily new cases the past two days have been the lowest since mid-June. I'm not trying to be optimistic or snarky or a conspiracy theorist here...but I've yet to see any prediction with this virus come true. According to Bill Gate's model circa mid-April we were supposed to be done with Covid last month lol.

SUNY Oneonta... Over 500 new cases since the students went back. School closed, businesses closed... Maybe it was just handled poorly and we won't see this elsewhere.

NYDB

What do you mean by this? The northeast was hit hardest upfront and (hopefully) we are best positioned going forward because of how hard we got hit already. We also did a terrible job protecting the elderly which is a key driving force behind the off-the-charts death/million figures in the Northeast vs. the rest of the country (and really the rest of the world). Presumably you're well aware that the average age of a COVID-19 victim approximates the US life expectancy and that your governor refuses to release nursing home death data because it would make him look bad (if it would make him look good, we'd have it, of course). The response across the Hudson was no more effective.

Granted, we got inundated especially bad due to the amount of international travel coming in and out of the northeast that doesn't make it to middle America. Greater NYC is also the most densely populated place in the US. This put us at a decided disadvantage vis-a-vis Salt Lake City, for example. That said, I have a hard time understanding how you get to the conclusion that 'greater NYC=good and UT/WY=bad given' there is no evidence-based reason to feel this way, just emotionally-based ones.

Active cases in the northeast right now are pretty low, even though NY and MA are on the uptick. Southeast, midwest, Texas, CA are pretty high. Look at the link from CDC active cases for past 7 days. NY is 27th highest. Here is active cases per 100,000 from another site. Both sites require you to select the correct tab (CDC - cases the last 7 days and arcgis active cases per 100,000 people)

I didn't say anything about UT/WY cases so I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

I will add that since active cases are relatively low in the northeast right now, I have noticed a bit a slacking with regard to social distancing and mask wearing. Kind of the opposite of what was happening in the spring. Hope it doesn't bite us in the fanny come ski season.

EPB

Active cases in the northeast right now are pretty low, even though NY and MA are on the uptick. Southeast, midwest, Texas, CA are pretty high. Look at the link from CDC active cases for past 7 days. NY is 27th highest. Here is active cases per 100,000 from another site. Both sites require you to select the correct tab (CDC - cases the last 7 days and arcgis active cases per 100,000 people)

I didn't say anything about UT/WY cases so I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

I will add that since active cases are relatively low in the northeast right now, I have noticed a bit a slacking with regard to social distancing and mask wearing. Kind of the opposite of what was happening in the spring. Hope it doesn't bite us in the fanny come ski season.

I see where you're coming from. As I understand, we're doing quite well in terms of active cases. Hopefully, we're now somewhat insulated given the extent to which the disease burned through the population in the spring/summer, but that's just my naive observation and nothing provable.

Regarding UT/WY, you mentioned wanting to fly to Snowbird and Jackson Hole. It provoked me to look into how they have fared, and the numbers are startling. UT ranks 49th in deaths/capita (among states and DC) in the US and WY ranks 44th. That's good for 3rd best and 8th best, respectively. NJ, NY, MA, CT rank 1-4 in that order in deaths/capita with RI is 6th, per statista https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state. If any of those states were their own country, they would rank dead last in death/million in the entire world https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/ (note: state numbers are per 100,000 and country numbers are by 1,000,000, so they need to be adjusted by a factor of 10).

All this said, I think I misinterpreted what you said regarding people "putting in the effort as a nation". I assumed you meant that non northeast states are doing something wrong, but it seems you mean general complacency. I have also noticed this in Morristown, NJ, of all places. Hopefully we're through the worst given we experienced arguably the worst first wave in the world (due to factors that were and weren't our fault), but we'll see... Good luck getting up to your place in VT, though. Hopefully the worst is behind us.

Last edited:

kbroderick

The idea that the news has ever been spin-free is a myth. Take the editorials out of the equation, and you still have editorial discretion as to what facts you report (and who you quote as "experts" responding to the facts as reported).

With that said, I haven't had cable in years, and it wasn't until a couple of times recently where either my parents or the in-laws had their choice of 24-hour "news" networks on that I realized how bad those things are. The actual nightly news is less spun but the segments seem targeted to the attention span of a fruit fly; the entertainment / editorial / dumpster fire content on the 24-hour channels makes my head hurt. I agree with the notion that critical thinking has gone out the window, and I think the soundbite-oriented nature of video news makes it worse, as does a focus on profits—where stirring the pot and drawing attention gets more eyeballs than a more-expensive, more-balanced investigative reporting show would.

Every time I slag one news channel, my wife points out the other is just as bad. My response is that it may be true, and that she should read a damn (online) newspaper (pick your slant—there are papers slanted in both directions that still do real journalism). Yes, it takes longer, because you can't adequately understand most real-world based on a 30-second soundbite.

EPB

The idea that the news has ever been spin-free is a myth. Take the editorials out of the equation, and you still have editorial discretion as to what facts you report (and who you quote as "experts" responding to the facts as reported).

With that said, I haven't had cable in years, and it wasn't until a couple of times recently where either my parents or the in-laws had their choice of 24-hour "news" networks on that I realized how bad those things are. The actual nightly news is less spun but the segments seem targeted to the attention span of a fruit fly; the entertainment / editorial / dumpster fire content on the 24-hour channels makes my head hurt. I agree with the notion that critical thinking has gone out the window, and I think the soundbite-oriented nature of video news makes it worse, as does a focus on profits—where stirring the pot and drawing attention gets more eyeballs than a more-expensive, more-balanced investigative reporting show would.

Every time I slag one news channel, my wife points out the other is just as bad. My response is that it may be true, and that she should read a damn (online) newspaper (pick your slant—there are papers slanted in both directions that still do real journalism). Yes, it takes longer, because you can't adequately understand most real-world based on a 30-second soundbite.
This is exactly right.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I find PBS Newshour to be relatively lucid, BS free nightly TV reporting.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

mister moose

The actual nightly news is less spun

One thing I've been noticing as a more subliminal bias is sequence and depth bias. For example,

"The US Ski Area Consortium reported to day that tele-skiers are responsible for most trash and litter on the mountain. Trash commitee chair Pete Twintips said in an interview that tele-skiers wear a backpack more often, eat on lifts, drop their trash and have longer hair, and travel in menacing looking groups. "I've personally seen a tele-skier throw a Bud Lite can off the lift", said Twintips. Joe Freeheel, a tele-ski maunfacturer representative, said the accusations were unfounded."

They lead with one point of view, give it 2 minutes, and then finish with a quick "they disagreed" closer.

If you wait for 3-5 days give or take, many news stories get more accurate. Forget the rush to lead headline, what's the story become in a week? Not only should you widen your listening, you should widen your time frame. Frequently you have to hunt for it though, many news stories drop off and any follow up corrections and further info requires digging.

BenedictGomez

your governor refuses to release nursing home death data because it would make him look bad

But it's actually far worse than that, they are monkeying with what "counted" as a nursing home death by only counting it as such if you literally died in the nursing home, which is completely absurd.

Cuomo's politically correct decision cost many, many, hundreds of lives, perhaps even thousands, we dont know. This is a huge scandal which I believe will one day come out, and that "one day" is probably "one day" after Cuomo is no longer politically relevant.

https://apnews.com/212ccd87924b6906053703a00514647f