• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

nhskier1969

If reservations prove to be a needed thing for other big eastern ski areas, then in no universe does SL and SR go without them for typical Saturdays. They both get mobbed indoors and out.

Should be interesting during the big holidays, ie Christmas, MLK, school vacation week.

I am an ikon pass holder. I want to book my families annual vacation out in Colorado this year but I am not sure what to do. Steamboat is offering Vacation assurance but when I emailed them I asked them several questions that they couldn't answer.
Like, What happens if an out of state person comes to Colorado and they have a mandatory 2 week quarantine or if I come out there for a week, will I be guaranteed that I can ski five days.

They couldn't answer the questions. They told me, they don't know yet.

dlague

A lot of this is now standard

- Selling day tickets online and in advance only

- Selling rentals and lessons online and in advance only

- Prohibiting bags and gear in buildings

- Limiting day ticket sales during certain times

- Reducing the number and types of discounted products

Online sales are now going to be the future and I think several called the “no bags or gear on lodges”. That will make it more difficult for families with small kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machski

Sunday River's preliminary plans:

https://www.sundayriver.com/covid/winter

To note, bags can come into lodges but must be stored at bag checks, nothing can be left on floor/tables.

Both on mountain Hotels will have day skier access for parking and bags/gearing up indoors this season.

Opening day will require them to be TTB, may not take as long as Killington is planning but unlikely for October. Also, opening days will be limited to passholders and Ikon folks only.

More to come, this is still their preliminary stuff.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member

To note, bags can come into lodges but must be stored at bag checks, nothing can be left on floor/tables.

Both on mountain Hotels will have day skier access for parking and bags/gearing up indoors this season.

Opening day will require them to be TTB, may not take as long as Killington is planning but unlikely for October. Also, opening days will be limited to passholders and Ikon folks only.

Interesting that are going to attempt to manage indoor services within the 50 person per room state rules. Seems like there will be significant lines just for folks to enter the lodges.

Will be interesting to see how involved the state gets with the enforcement of that 50 person limit. I'm guessing it will be heavy handed after the Millinocket wedding fiasco. One 65 person wedding now traced to 170+ Covid cases and 7 deaths.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Jay released their plans: https://jaypeakresort.com/resort/blog-updates/202021-jay-peak-resort-anticipated-operating-plan

They expect a significant (50%) drop in volume without doing anything due to travel restrictions. As such they don't anticipate requiring reservations or even requiring advanced day ticket purchases.

They will allow booting up inside, but bags must be stored in designated storage areas and will not be allowing on floors/tables.

Capacity limits on tram, but expect it to run.

Lots of other details provided in the link as well.

Newpylong

Also to add: my contact there says no changes to the snowmaking budget that they have been made aware of yet as well.

drjeff

Also to add: my contact there says no changes to the snowmaking budget that they have been made aware of yet as well.

Well for numerous reasons, it will certainly be a memorable 1st season for Brian H as the new GM there trying to figure out not just the resort, but everything else!! :flag::flag:

Pretty sure he's up to the task though!

Los

Jay released their plans: https://jaypeakresort.com/resort/blog-updates/202021-jay-peak-resort-anticipated-operating-plan

They expect a significant (50%) drop in volume without doing anything due to travel restrictions. As such they don't anticipate requiring reservations or even requiring advanced day ticket purchases.

They will allow booting up inside, but bags must be stored in designated storage areas and will not be allowing on floors/tables.

Capacity limits on tram, but expect it to run.

Lots of other details provided in the link as well.

Seriously thinking of using the $$ for the kids’ sugarbush seasonal program on jay peak season passes instead...

machski

Brian H is holding several Q & A sessions o. saturday of fall festival on winter ops this year and introducing himself to the community. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

They can't really back off Snowmaking where they are selling lots at $1million just for the lot on new ski terrain, right?! Good to hear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Interesting that are going to attempt to manage indoor services within the 50 person per room state rules. Seems like there will be significant lines just for folks to enter the lodges.

Will be interesting to see how involved the state gets with the enforcement of that 50 person limit. I'm guessing it will be heavy handed after the Millinocket wedding fiasco. One 65 person wedding now traced to 170+ Covid cases and 7 deaths.

Funny how they can pin point a specific event that resulted in all those cases. My wife and I have been to Southern California by plane twice and are going again this weekend. Been to Utah, Wyoming and Arizona. We ate at restaurants while on travel. We also frequent restaurants at least 5 times per week in an attempt to support that industry. CDC said that restaurant goers resulted in a 15% increase in cases but how do they know it was the restaurants? I have become so skeptical of it all! Why did so many states shut down rather than mandating face masks immediately. And limiting capacity. IDK
giphy.gif

slatham

This is not a surprise - no need to make this call yet. Early season needs to be full-on as normal to get adequate terrain and lifts for social distancing etc. The critical time will be later in the season when terrain expansion and resurfacing decisions need to be made. This will be a "game day decision" based on season-to-date revenue vs normal expectations. It is my opinion that revenue will not be normal and thus neither will snowmaking expenditures. I hope to be wrong.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Contact tracing

Some states are more serious about it than others. In VT at least, you have to provide your name and contact information when you go out to eat. If anyone that is infected and was in that restaurant the same time as you or perhaps your server served them, you can expect to get a call.

I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes made in the methodology, but it's being used many places the world over to limit outbreaks.

I believe the situation in Maine was that it spawned two major outbreaks. People caught Covid from the sick guest at the wedding. One visited a relative in a nursing home and spread it there killing six. Another worked in a prison in Sanford and spread it there.

Zermatt

Funny how they can pin point a specific event that resulted in all those cases. My wife and I have been to Southern California by plane twice and are going again this weekend. Been to Utah, Wyoming and Arizona. We ate at restaurants while on travel. We also frequent restaurants at least 5 times per week in an attempt to support that industry. CDC said that restaurant goers resulted in a 15% increase in cases but how do they know it was the restaurants? I have become so skeptical of it all! Why did so many states shut down rather than mandating face masks immediately. And limiting capacity.

When you fly are you just wearing a paper surgical mask or cloth mask or an N95 mask?

Newpylong

This is not a surprise - no need to make this call yet. Early season needs to be full-on as normal to get adequate terrain and lifts for social distancing etc. The critical time will be later in the season when terrain expansion and resurfacing decisions need to be made. This will be a "game day decision" based on season-to-date revenue vs normal expectations. It is my opinion that revenue will not be normal and thus neither will snowmaking expenditures. I hope to be wrong.

I agree, I was just posting what I thought was interesting information. This is in contrast to a medium sized hill (that I will not name) in NH that I know is only planning on minimal snowmaking. Much different demand at those two places though.

MEtoVTSkier

I'm surprised some resorts are still going to allow bags and such indoors "in designated areas" Killington said nothing allowed inside, and that there will not be any bag checks, to plan on using your vehicle more.

Allowing stuff inside is just going to increase inside traffic with people wanting to access their stuff constantly.

kbroderick

I'm surprised some resorts are still going to allow bags and such indoors "in designated areas" Killington said nothing allowed inside, and that there will not be any bag checks, to plan on using your vehicle more.

Allowing stuff inside is just going to increase inside traffic with people wanting to access their stuff constantly.

If the line to get at it is long enough, hopefully (most) people will learn pretty quick.

I could see booting up at the car and then dropping my street shoes and socks at the bag check before heading onto the hill with a backpack. Most of my stuff doesn't need to be inside, but it's really nice on a cold day if my shoes aren't -10F to start the drive home.

skiur

What about the people that aren't driving to the mountain?