• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

JimG.

Staff member
you can blame the orange shitstain for this whole mess and the financial pain we here will endure for years to come.

We get that you don't like our current administration.

Please keep your political opinions out of your otherwise generally well thought out responses.

dlague

We get that you don't like our current administration.

Please keep your political opinions out of your otherwise generally well thought out responses.

Thanks for reminding people to stick to the theme of the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoomzoom

with respect to the mods, following are a few direct quotes of political opinions that managed to sneak into a skiing/riding forum without a wrist slap. but that's ok, emotions get the better of us on some days. these are trying times for sure, now that this disease has morphed into the political arena. i promise to do better! ;)

BG
Cuomo's politically correct decision cost many, many, hundreds of lives, perhaps even thousands, we dont know. This is a huge scandal which I believe will one day come out, and that "one day" is probably "one day" after Cuomo is no longer politically relevant.

EPB
I don't want to belabor this point too much, but every time that idiot {cuomo} talks about how great he is at handling COVID-19, he invites this upon himself.

SRR
For me the frustration isn't with people in the industry. They have to deal with unreasonable power hungry state governments. It's governmental tyranny that pisses me off.

MtVS
When the Legislature finally re-convenes, they are expected to sharply rein-in her future "Emergency Powers". Many can't wait to vote her { mills } out.

SL
This is why the R's want liability protection in the phase 4 Cares Act. With out the liab protection, we're gonna see these types of decisions across all industries. The D's are fighting back against liab protection.

ED
Strikes me as total Trump bullshit.

SS
I giuues when I think about being screwed by the U.S. government both political parties bascccily same corrupt money hungry corporate and care about$$$$ and nothing else

BG
It is politics & fear, and especially the, "politics of fear" that now rule the day.

JG
I am in favor of firing our entire federal government and would also like to see the current NYS and NYC governments defunded.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
with respect to the mods, following are a few direct quotes of political opinions that managed to sneak into a skiing/riding forum without a wrist slap. but that's ok, emotions get the better of us on some days. these are trying times for sure, now that this disease has morphed into the political arena. i promise to do better! ;)

BG
Cuomo's politically correct decision cost many, many, hundreds of lives, perhaps even thousands, we dont know. This is a huge scandal which I believe will one day come out, and that "one day" is probably "one day" after Cuomo is no longer politically relevant.

EPB
I don't want to belabor this point too much, but every time that idiot {cuomo} talks about how great he is at handling COVID-19, he invites this upon himself.

SRR
For me the frustration isn't with people in the industry. They have to deal with unreasonable power hungry state governments. It's governmental tyranny that pisses me off.

MtVS
When the Legislature finally re-convenes, they are expected to sharply rein-in her future "Emergency Powers". Many can't wait to vote her { mills } out.

SL
This is why the R's want liability protection in the phase 4 Cares Act. With out the liab protection, we're gonna see these types of decisions across all industries. The D's are fighting back against liab protection.

ED
Strikes me as total Trump bullshit.

SS
I giuues when I think about being screwed by the U.S. government both political parties bascccily same corrupt money hungry corporate and care about$$$$ and nothing else

BG
It is politics & fear, and especially the, "politics of fear" that now rule the day.

JG
I am in favor of firing our entire federal government and would also like to see the current NYS and NYC governments defunded.

You don't have enough posts :-D

It was particularly nasty comment BTW ,I think that's a relative comparison .

deadheadskier

Staff member
Post count matters little. Almost everyone on that list has been told to chill on the politics at some point or had their posts moderated.

Plenty of places on the internet to crowbar your red or blue fandom in. I certainly do elsewhere, but mostly try to minimize it here (I'm far from 100% compliant) as no politics has been a long standing tradition of AZ.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Vermont’s last Covid death was in mid-July.

I wonder how many job losses Vermont has had since mid-July.

with respect to the mods, following are a few direct quotes of political opinions that managed to sneak into a skiing/riding forum without a wrist slap. .

I cant even imagine how long this took. Some people have way too much free time. I'm sure you think you somehow owned the mods though.

It was particularly nasty comment

It was particularly dumb comment.
There are 101 reasons to blame Trump for XYZ various things, but to blame him for COVID19 is moronic.

mbedle

So I was reading the terms and conditions for the epic pass this morning and noticed that they have multiple lawsuits filed against them for closing early last season. What I found funny, is the very first case they have listed is Bellafatto v. The Vail Corporation and if you read the complaint it references Alterra as the defendant a couple of time. Very obvious the complaint is being used as a template for multiple lawsuits against different ski area operators. For you lawyers out there, does filling this complaint bar the plaintiff from being able to purchase a season pass this year? I wonder how many people will actually chose to not accept the credit offered, just to be a part of the class action.

jimmywilson69

the way I look at it is I'll likely not see as much from the class action suite as the credit. which is of course what Vail wants me to think. I'm also a reasonable minded human being so I fully understand why they shut down. Its not like they decided to just shut down early because business wasn't good...

drjeff

How many job losses equal a death?

Probably more deaths from suicide and/or other self inflicted things by those who have lost their businesses and/or jobs as a result of the government ordered shutdowns than have occurred from COVID-19 in VT.

Keeping someone safe from COVID-19 certainly for many has put a huge strain one people's mental well being, and that certainly for some, has some deadly, non directly due to COVID-19, causes

cdskier

Probably more deaths from suicide and/or other self inflicted things by those who have lost their businesses and/or jobs as a result of the government ordered shutdowns than have occurred from COVID-19 in VT.

Per VT's weekly report on suicides:
As of September 11th there have been 74 suicide deaths in Vermont this year. So far in September there has been 1 death. The number of suicide deaths in August and July was similar to previous years, June was lower, and in May numbers were higher. We cannot yet determine whether there has been a statistical increase or a decrease in suicide deaths this year or in the past few months.

BenedictGomez

How many job losses equal a death?

Clearly fewer than you think.

You might want to look into that if there's only been 1 COVID19 death in Vermont in the last few months.

Overdoses rise at ‘alarming’ rate in Burlington and Vermont amid pandemic

https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/21/ove...rate-in-burlington-and-vermont-amid-pandemic/

The last month data's in for is June, and it's up 50% over 2019. And it's probably even worse than that given the year started off (i.e. pre-COVID19) low.

Vermont’s Health Department says in June last year the state had seen 48 fatalities since the start of the year. This year, as of June, there were 72 opioid-related fatalities.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/08/31/social-autopsy-report-looks-at-vermont-drug-overdose-data/

Last edited:

Smellytele

so now over dose deaths are related to unemployment?
Suicide rates as cdskier said are about the same as previous years but also as noted too early to tell one way or another.

dlague

Vail

For your safety, we will be managing how many people are on our mountains this season and implementing a pass holder reservation system. Reservations will be required to access our mountains. For the vast majority of days, we anticipate our mountains will be able to accommodate everyone who wants to ski or ride at our resorts. This reservation system is designed to give you peace of mind knowing that you will have the space you need to feel safe and physically distance, no matter what day you visit.

dlague

A Basin

For Ikon pass holders skiing at A Basin will be different this year. Ikon pass holders will be required to make a reservation.

Lift ticket purchases will be limited and must be purchased in advance on line.

A Basin pass holders will require no reservations!

icecoast1

so now over dose deaths are related to unemployment?
Suicide rates as cdskier said are about the same as previous years but also as noted too early to tell one way or another.

We've seen an uptick and hard drug usage and overdoses in our area since March. I doubt it's a coincidence

Comparing deaths to deaths here kind of seems like an apples to oranges comparison. Not everybody that shoots up on drugs is going to die right away, and for those that dont die, even though they are lucky, at a bare minimum their overall quality of life take a huge turn for the worse

JimG.

Staff member
A Basin

For Ikon pass holders skiing at A Basin will be different this year. Ikon pass holders will be required to make a reservation.

Lift ticket purchases will be limited and must be purchased in advance on line.

A Basin pass holders will require no reservations!

A-basin gets it.