• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Most hotels are more than happy if a customer signs the form and says that they quarantined pre-trip. Which in 99% of cases is a lie.
Exactly....every hotel and restaurant i passed Columbus day weekend was packed in VT. Probably one of the busiest fall weekends I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Most hotels are more than happy if a customer signs the form and says that they quarantined pre-trip. Which in 99% of cases is a lie.
Actually, the definition of "quarantine" is pretty lenient. It excludes all "essential activity" such as shopping for grocery and visiting doctors.

Plenty of people don't do anything other than essentials. After all, a lot of the venues for "non-essential" activities are not even open until recently. Not everyone rush out to go there (indoor dining, as 1 example)

So I doubt it's "99% of cases is a lie". Probably more like 50/50 truth/false.

cdskier

Actually, the definition of "quarantine" is pretty lenient. It excludes all "essential activity" such as shopping for grocery and visiting doctors.

VT's definition is not lenient...

https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites...rt-observation-isolation-quarantine_final.pdf

Can I go out for groceries and other essential items like medication?
No, not until 14 days have passed and no symptoms have appeared

About the only thing VT lets you do during quarantine is go outside if you are "completely alone".

nhskier1969

This is what I meant. Open sided tents (maybe closed on one side) with heaters will make a significant difference.

I agree, with heaters you could probably get it up to 50. Which would be fine to take a break.

abc

Last edited:

Creakyknees

New York State ski areas?

Belleayre is a state run mountain did anyone hear what the rules are going to be with the lodge during the ski season? I will assume that the three New York State mountains (Whiteface and Gore) will all have the same rules. I would think what ever procedure Belleayre permits Hunter will do the same.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Belleayre is a state run mountain did anyone hear what the rules are going to be with the lodge during the ski season? I will assume that the three New York State mountains (Whiteface and Gore) will all have the same rules. I would think what ever procedure Belleayre permits Hunter will do the same.

I'm a Gore passholder and I haven't really seen bupkis from them. They are basically saying business as usual, from what I can tell.

mbedle

Given their approach this summer and what is stated on their website, I am going to agree with BG on that assessment.

mister moose

If the restaurant has the space for social distance outdoor dining, the more high-quality outdoor heaters can put out an un-Godly amount of heat.
If so, I think there should be 2 sections, one without carbon based inefficient heating marked "Global Warming" section.

zyk

Not sure about rules but I suspect the Catskills will be very busy this year with NY, NJ, and CT being treated as one. I've been a hunter midweek passholder for years but am stepping away this year.

drjeff

Space heaters and tents. Take this with a grain of salt from someone who has spent many, many afternoons and evenings, in the Fall and Winter months in everything from cool and dry to cold and windy and wet and white under a tent with a fairly good sized industrial propane fired space heater while tailgating at New England Patriots games (not this year though unfortunately). If you close in the sides of a tent, a space heater can get it pretty comfortable under there (like 20 and breezy outside and 55 - 60 under the tent - and for reference my crew usually has 2 12 x 12 tents side by side and fully wrapped as 1 larger 12x24 space with a 100000 btu heater going) - So it can be done.

If it's not fully enclosed, and especially if it's windy, unless you're within a few feet of the space heater, it's essentially the same temp and wind situation as if you weren't even under a tent. The it becomes that debate about if you're trying to get more "outdoor" seating under the tent, if the sides are up, and a space heater is running, is it really that much different risk wise than being inside of an existing lodge?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
S

If it's not fully enclosed, and especially if it's windy, unless you're within a few feet of the space heater, it's essentially the same temp and wind situation as if you weren't even under a tent. The it becomes that debate about if you're trying to get more "outdoor" seating under the tent, if the sides are up, and a space heater is running, is it really that much different risk wise than being inside of an existing lodge?

Yes and you get to breath in some Carbon Monoxide to boot! Last week I drove past a restaurant that had some pyramid type propane heaters going inside a plastic enclosure ,they look pretty cool with a nice big yellow flame in a glass tube but there not being used as directed . I'll bet we see some tents go up in flames this year . Be safe and smart

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!