• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

machski

Then shame on that school, because it's easy to enact, but frankly, no matter as it is really not the students who need the protecting.

This honestly really shouldn't be terribly hard. Something like as follows is entirely rational based on evidence-based medicine.

1) If a student lives in a home with a person >=60 (e.g. grandparent) that student gets home-schooled for the semester until 3 weeks post vaccination.

2) If a student lives in a home with anyone immunocompromised (any age), that student gets home-schooled for the semester until 3 weeks post vaccination.

3) If a student lives in a home with anyone with a comorbidity (any age), that student gets home-schooled for the semester until 3 weeks post vaccination.

4) Any teacher or teacher domiciling with a person falling into #1, #2, or #3 above stays home for the semester, and does not return until 3 weeks post vaccination.

5) All current, best practice, CDC recommended social distancing is followed.

6) Masks are worn in the classroom

You follow the above & probably 95% of kids and teachers could safely return to the classroom tomorrow.
Super easy, huh? You have no clue dude. Trying to maintain order in the halls and keep students socially distanced is not easy. They want to socially interact and keeping them separated will not be easy. What's the penalty for not, detentions?

I have heard some schools are considering having students remain in one classroom at their desk all day long, have teacher's rotate and even have lunch at their desks (cater in from the cafe to class rooms). But can you really picture kids sitting at their desk for a 7 hour or so day? Nothing is easy about this.

As of now, our district is a choice for parents, full time in or full time remote. Remote will involve televised classes online the remote students will join in/follow. However, there are currently no options for the teachers, they have to be in person. The union is pushing for a remote choice for them as well, but how that would actually work with in school students remains to be figured out (assuming they clear the first hurdle).

NOTHING, I REPEAT NOTHING on returning to school in this time is EASY or straightforward!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I have heard some schools are considering having students remain in one classroom at their desk all day long..... can you really picture kids sitting at their desk for a 7 hour or so day?

Do you mean the way school was taught for most of all recorded human history with the exception of the last roughly 70 to 80'ish years?

Sorry, I just dont see kids being in one room sans bathroom breaks as being the helter-skelter, madness & chaos some here are describing it as, especially using history as a guide. Frankly, I dont even understand that opinion. Perhaps describe it so I can.

You do what you have to do sometimes to get by, and I'm of the opinion that keeping kids out of school is far worse than the alternative. Again, it's not the kids you have to worry about, it's a limited number of teachers that would be in danger. Those teachers generally know who they are & should remain home.

VTKilarney

DHS is ignoring a very important fact in regard to his school district. Since the district is offering a choice between online learning and in person learning, the higher risk teachers will be selected to staff online learning. The teachers that are at much lower risk will be the ones who are actually in the classroom.

Smellytele

Do you mean the way school was taught for most of all recorded human history with the exception of the last roughly 70 to 80'ish years?

Sorry, I just dont see kids being in one room sans bathroom breaks as being the helter-skelter, madness & chaos some here are describing it as, especially using history as a guide. Frankly, I dont even understand that opinion. Perhaps describe it so I can.

You do what you have to do sometimes to get by, and I'm of the opinion that keeping kids out of school is far worse than the alternative. Again, it's not the kids you have to worry about, it's a limited number of teachers that would be in danger. Those teachers generally know who they are & should remain home.

You are an idiot. High school students have different classes and no one has the same classes. You do live in some weird bubble of existence.
It would work in elementary school but not high school.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
In the public school I went to, different levels of math and English classes started in the third grade. So, even at that early of an age, you would have challenges keeping kids in the same classroom all day.

Anyways, I see BGs interviews for Secretary of Education are going really well! Should be a near unanimous confirmation. A most excellent successor to Devos.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

You are an idiot. High school students have different classes and no one has the same classes. You do live in some weird bubble of existence.
It would work in elementary school but not high school.

This guys calls me an "idiot", while simultaneously agreeing it would work for approximately 70% of all American students.

Let that sink in for a moment.

I'd also be curious to know if you have ever stated you think High Schools should be closed due to the common flu given influenza is far more deadly to this patient population than COVID19 is? Dont worry, you need not answer that, it's a rhetorical question given it's pretty obvious you had absolutely no idea of that fact.

cdskier

In the public school I went to, different levels of math and English classes started in the third grade. So, even at that early of an age, you would have challenges keeping kids in the same classroom all day.

We started with different levels in 6th grade in my district. Point remains that once you move past some of the earlier years, the students in your "home room" are not the students you're in classes with all day and you can't just have sets of students stay put and teachers rotate. My district was on the smaller side. We had maybe 120 or so students per grade level. Even there, there were maybe 2 or 3 other students that shared the exact same classes as me in HS (and even that could be pushing it and it might have really been 0). Between electives, honors classes, AP classes, etc, there's far too many potential combinations.

Smellytele

This guys calls me an "idiot", while simultaneously agreeing it would work for approximately 70% of all American students.

I'd also be curious to know if you have ever stated you think High Schools should be closed due to the common flu given influenza is far more deadly to this patient population than COVID19 is? Dont worry, you need not answer that, it's a rhetorical question given it's pretty obvious you had absolutely no idea of that fact.

Not talking about if schools should be closed . Talking about your stupid suggestion of what could be done. You have a answer for everything and think you know everything. If only you ruled the world everything would be perfect. As others said it may not even work at the lower levels.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Not talking about if schools should be closed . Talking about your stupid suggestion of what could be done.

That's about what I thought, you've got nothing; no explanation, no answer. Like I said, it was a rhetorical question. Just move along & let the adults talk next time.

machski

Could the teachers move room to room while the kids stay put or do they not have legs in this scenario?
Yes they could, but at High School, not all students have the same classes (kind of like college, there are electives that result in 10's if not 100's of different schedules). So unless you curtailed the electives and just made all High School students take the same coursework, no it wouldn't work with teachers only moving

Newpylong

Well, to be fair, you are an idiot if you think it's entirely about the student population.

machski

DHS is ignoring a very important fact in regard to his school district. Since the district is offering a choice between online learning and in person learning, the higher risk teachers will be selected to staff online learning. The teachers that are at much lower risk will be the ones who are actually in the classroom.
That is not how it is working in my wife's district. They are full time in but parents have a choice to be full time remote for kids. Remote kids will be joining in on live classes online this go around. So they are part of the class just not physically in class. Teachers currently have no choice, they are either in school or try to get on the Covid unemployment ranks.

mbedle

Then shame on that school, because it's easy to enact, but frankly, no matter as it is really not the students who need the protecting.

This honestly really shouldn't be terribly hard. Something like as follows is entirely rational based on evidence-based medicine.

1) If a student lives in a home with a person >=60 (e.g. grandparent) that student gets home-schooled for the semester until 3 weeks post vaccination.

2) If a student lives in a home with anyone immunocompromised (any age), that student gets home-schooled for the semester until 3 weeks post vaccination.

3) If a student lives in a home with anyone with a comorbidity (any age), that student gets home-schooled for the semester until 3 weeks post vaccination.

4) Any teacher or teacher domiciling with a person falling into #1, #2, or #3 above stays home for the semester, and does not return until 3 weeks post vaccination.

5) All current, best practice, CDC recommended social distancing is followed.

6) Masks are worn in the classroom

You follow the above & probably 95% of kids and teachers could safely return to the classroom tomorrow.

How are you going to get 95% of the student body back into school when upwards of 45% of the population is obese? Isn't obesity considered a comorbidity by the CDC? Add in the other list comorbidity listed on CDC's website, I just don't see how your example would result in 95% of students being able to return to schools. Plus you have to take into account the number of obese and diabetic teachers and subs that exists in the US.

Last edited:

boston_e

Magic offers a first hint of what 20/21 season could be like:

https://magicmtn.com/alpine-update/

Some highlights:
- likely skier visit restricted capacity
- online reservations (with pass holders getting first dibs)
- reservations for table space inside lodges
- expanded outdoor seating etc.

I'm sure all are subject to change, but I'm guessing we will see similar start to emerge at most resorts.

BenedictGomez

Well, to be fair, you are an idiot if you think it's entirely about the student population.

Does lack of reading comprehension count for "idiocy" given many times in this thread I've specifically stated the danger is NOT to the student population?

I'd also be curious to know if you have ever stated you think High Schools should be closed due to the common flu given influenza is far more deadly to this patient population than COVID19 is?

VTKilarney

That is not how it is working in my wife's district. They are full time in but parents have a choice to be full time remote for kids. Remote kids will be joining in on live classes online this go around. So they are part of the class just not physically in class. Teachers currently have no choice, they are either in school or try to get on the Covid unemployment ranks.
Interesting. The one local school district that I am familiar with will have two distinct tracks. The teachers that are teaching online will not have any in-person interaction with students.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Best I can tell from the information available on our SAU website, in class and remote instruction will be done by the same teacher. The remote curriculum will be modified to be more project based and there will be daily interaction between the remote and in class students via Zoom.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app