• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

cdskier

Not sure I'm interested in the sole protectors for my ski boots. I've had them before, but if I don't have a bag in the lodge to put them in, I'm not interested in putting the mud and snow covered devices in my jacket pocket.

Luckily I ski with a backpack all the time, so they just go in there. Usually they're mostly just wet after walking up to the lift (walking on snow in the base area around the lifts helps clean any mud/dirt off). Bang them together a couple times and the snow comes off. For someone worried about them being dirty though, you could always just keep a plastic bag with you to put them in inside your pocket so the pocket itself doesn't get dirty.

BenedictGomez

How much walking does one have to do to destroy ski boots? Seems like a solution looking for a legitimate problem unless you do an awful LOT of walking in ski boots. Like over-the-top.

EPB

How much walking does one have to do to destroy ski boots? Seems like a solution looking for a legitimate problem unless you do a LOT of walking in ski boots.
I certainly don't have a discreet answer for you, but I will say walking on patio though villages/streets out west does noticeable damage. If you plan on doing your days at Plattekill, you need not worry, but if you plan on putting a couple miles on pavement walking from your car to the snow this year, it's a different story.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

zyk

How much walking does one have to do to destroy ski boots? Seems like a solution looking for a legitimate problem unless you do an awful LOT of walking in ski boots. Like over-the-top.

I destroyed my boots by walking in them as I always boot up at the car. It took 10 years or roughly 350 ski days. If replacement sole plates were still available they could be saved.

mikec142

I've been booting up in the parking lot for years. There are advantages and disadvantages. Depends a lot if you're planning to stay for Apres where it would be nice to change. And even when we do that, I just take a walk to the car and put my skis away and do a quick change at the car. I'm not a fan of carrying a lot of extra gear either to the lodge or on me as I ski. Clearly though, I'm going to have to get used to carrying a few more things this season. Maybe a sandwich. Honestly though, I think the biggest issue for me is going to be hydration. I can't imagine carrying a bottle of water.

nhskier1969

I destroyed my boots by walking in them as I always boot up at the car. It took 10 years or roughly 350 ski days. If replacement sole plates were still available they could be saved.

Renting on the shuttle route at Sugarbush, going up and down to Bravo 50 times a year did a number on my boots.

jimmywilson69

yes I said on page 21 that I've used Cat Tracks for years. I had to replace my soles on my fisher ranger vacuum boots after about 7 years because I didn't always use them. SOmetimes I park 20 feet from the snow, so they don't get used then.

kbroderick

I have driven in ski boots, not more than a couple miles. It really depends on the car. SUV's and minivans aren't that bad. Sedans are not really feasible. Obviously anything with a clutch is impossible.

I've driven a five-speed XTerra in ski boots plenty of times. The only significant issue with that particular setup was catching the buckles on the plastic around the footwell.

With a manual Subaru and tele boots, it does take an extra bit of care to get the clutch depressed all the way to the floor so you can start the car, but it's entirely doable.

Upshifting a motorcycle is a bit tricky; downshifting isn't so bad, but you obviously don't have a lot of feel for it. I've been told it's not as bad with a heel-toe shifter.

Definitely easier with an automatic with a lot of space around the pedals and traction control/ABS, though.

catskillman

Wearing down your boots can also throw off your alignment in your bindings. this can be dangerous, especially if you have had your boots beveleved due to canting issues. Some canting issues are also fixed with shims, but very often boots are shaved for alignment that a custom foot bed can't fix.

Water - do not carry a water bottle, use a bladder type thing. I know 2 people who broke ribs landing on a water bottle in their jacket

machski

Anyone tried this type of device? Seem kinda like creepy-crawlers for adding to regular boots for walking on ice.
https://www.rei.com/product/435109/seirus-cat-tracks
Yes, used for years as well. Have used early season up/down the Killington stairway to North Ridge and used them late season to hike over Locke to White Cap after Heat closed to ski then back across Locke Townhomes to Barker. They work quite well, bit they are not "locked" on and have had on occasion where one comes off mid-hike. Overall have protected my toe/heel plates very well and add substantial traction, especially when I was in Atomic Redsters that were basically race plug type boots without any rubber on the footbases.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

I've driven a five-speed XTerra in ski boots plenty of times. The only significant issue with that particular setup was catching the buckles on the plastic around the footwell.

With a manual Subaru and tele boots, it does take an extra bit of care to get the clutch depressed all the way to the floor so you can start the car, but it's entirely doable.

Upshifting a motorcycle is a bit tricky; downshifting isn't so bad, but you obviously don't have a lot of feel for it. I've been told it's not as bad with a heel-toe shifter.

Definitely easier with an automatic with a lot of space around the pedals and traction control/ABS, though.

In my old subaru I couldn't get the clutch to the floor with my ski boots on.

dlague

Driving 15 minutes in ski boots on mountain roads seems rather risky.

I've heard people joke about that as a thing, but I didnt know it was actually a thing.

I have hit the throttle and the brake at the same time with ski boots on and scared the shit out of my wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornhead

Are you really riding a motorcycle in ski boots? How about a bicycle? Unicycle?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

nhskier1969

Just a thought, why couldn't the ski areas have a lot more benches, picnic tables etc next to the parking lot. Then have coin operated lockers outside of their building. That way people could put ski boots on closer to the base, then dump their crap in a outdoor locker. While using the outdoor locker, people can be polite and social distancing while going to their lockers.

skiur

Just a thought, why couldn't the ski areas have a lot more benches, picnic tables etc next to the parking lot. Then have coin operated lockers outside of their building. That way people could put ski boots on closer to the base, then dump their crap in a outdoor locker. While using the outdoor locker, people can be polite and social distancing while going to their lockers.

I would think the coin slots and locking mechanism would freeze up during the new england winter making the lockers useless.

kbroderick

Are you really riding a motorcycle in ski boots? How about a bicycle? Unicycle?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Given the results when I tried riding a unicycle in normal footwear, I definitely wouldn't want to try in ski boots.

Motorcycle? Yes, for short distances (2-3 miles). Much longer than that and it's worth the time to change in and out of proper motorcycle boots. One of the guys I worked with at Killington rode home to Pittsfield in race boots, though, after his significant other forgot that his street shoes were in her car and left early.

I haven't tried a bicycle, but I've seen evidence of it being done (and apparently in race boots):

64729654_2347761388595451_1208097660968370176_o.jpg