• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

deadheadskier

Staff member
View attachment 27093

I found you had to crunch some numbers, but here's one breakdown that doesn't segment tourism. You can see that government, medical, finance, construction and manufacturing make up a large majority of the State's GDP.
Sure, but all of those take a big hit too when tourism goes down.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I think it’s more interesting that somebody who stays home and takes all safety precautions in their home town and in Vermont is somehow “illegal” to come to Vermont when somebody from a green county who does not follow safety precautions and has large gatherings is “legal” to come to Vermont.

I think it’s more interesting that somebody who travels to Saratoga County, NY quarantines when they return home to Vermont, but doesn't similarly quarantine when they were in a Vermont town with a higher COVID19 positivity rate than Saratoga County, NY.

That said, I've seen & heard a lot of ****** up things the last 7 months.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Interesting from the NYT email digest this am:

The coronavirus is spreading more rapidly in rural areas of the U.S. than in urban areas. But one rural state continues to do a fabulous job keeping the virus away: Vermont.

Vermont is succeeding partly because it has not allowed the virus to become a partisan issue. The Republican governor, Phil Scott — unlike many other Republican politicians around the country — has consistently told people to take the virus seriously. “He started wearing a mask early in the pandemic and has stood at the back of the room in many of the state’s coronavirus briefings, letting Dr. Mark Levine, Vermont’s answer to Dr. Anthony Fauci, dominate proceedings,” Bill McKibben, a Vermont resident, wrote in The New Yorker.

Vermont also benefits from having a high degree of social trust among its residents, as Maria Sacchetti explained in The Washington Post. And Vermont has two strong local media organizations — VTDigger and Seven Days — that keep residents informed and that both took an intriguing step early in the pandemic, McKibben notes: They shut down their comments sections, to prevent misinformation from spreading.

Not sure how to link an email for attribution so just putting this in:

Source: https://nytimes.com

Los

Edd

Mad River Glen stopped selling passes a couple weeks ago as a result of high demand.

The crowds this season will be epic. Combined with reduced uphill capacity, it’s going to be sheer misery.

Reduced uphill capacity? You mean less than other hills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhskier1969

Tourism brings 3 billion dollars annually to VT as well as VT having the 2nd hight second homes owners in the nation. No way VT can survive without replacing that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app

the gentleman above probably doesn't know anything about running a small buisness. Small buisness ie ski shops/restaurants work a very slim margin. You take 10% buisness away from them, most of them will close before the end of the season. Thats what 10% does.

Los

Sorry, my second comment wasn’t about MRG specifically. Rather, I meant to say that in general, except at maybe the smallest ski areas, the crowds this season are going to be in the stratosphere....

abc

I think he's talking about the policy of not filling the chairs to full capacity.

Smaller hills with no high capacity lifts (quad, 6 pack, gondola) may actually fair better in terms of "reduced uphill capacity". A double will very likely get filled, social distance or not, with a very small exceptions. Quad will rarely get filled. How they manage 6 pack and gondolas? I'm not holding my breath (literally)

slatham

This sums it up nicely....
1d9ec0e7b25f0e30622252cd2ee1b524.jpg

kingslug

That sums it up. Don't see how a day of skiing can get you infected or you can infect someone else..if..
Put your stuff on in the parking lot.
get on line
ski
repeat.
go home

Los

How will crowds be epic when resorts are on a reservation system?

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app

In vt/nh, how many are requiring reservations? The only ones I’ve heard so far are Killington and Loon. Are there others?

If there are, fantastic. But if not, my point stands - there is a tremendous amount of anecdotal evidence that pass sales (in general) are through the roof, which reflects an overwhelming desire to get outdoors. I hope that the lack of facilities - and irrational fear of covid - will help keep the crowds at bay, but all in all I’m bracing myself for stupidly long line lift lines, and, consequently, less runs and less skiing.

dlague

Pass sales may be up because many places have pass holder priority or pass holder require no reservations. Otherwise, lift tickets have to be purchased at least 2 days in advance to some places requiring up to two weeks in advance and online only!

BenedictGomez

anyone would be a foole to receive a vaccine that hasn't gone through rigorous and typical clinical trials. there haven't been any vaccines that have even made it out of phase 1 that i'm aware of.

Judging from this post, there is more you are not "aware of" when it comes to clinical investigation of potential vaccines & therapies, than you are aware of. FWIW, there are many COVID19 vaccines which are currently well into Phase III testing, all of which are gold standard, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, randomized studies, with thousands to tens-of-thousands of patients fully enrolled, & with advanced statistical analysis & followup.

For non-conspiracy theorists who may be interested in this subject, RAPS does a nice job tracking COVID19 trials

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

add up the time periods for phase 1, 2 and 3 testing below. we're not even close to a safe vaccine.

Did it ever dawn on you that it might be far easier to develop & take a relatively simple proteinous vaccine through Phase III, than say, a novel monoclonal antibody therapy for metastatic breast cancer?

That was a rhetorical question.

there's been way too much political pressure for a vaccine prior to election day, and way too much money is at stake.

I doubt someone with your bent can be convinced otherwise, but other than the small players with a hand in it who may do well, there's not much "money" to be made by the large pharmaceutical companies in COVID19 vaccines.

Last edited: