• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

dlague

yup and thats the problem. This huge surge across the globe is from people just saying...fuck it.

We say fuck it but with responsibility - we have traveled, hiked, eaten out, gone to events and all has been good! It is those who say fuck it and assemble in large crowds or feel invincible that are being stupid. In Colorado the three main groups are nursing homes (still), prisons, and universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

We say fuck it but with responsibility - we have traveled, hiked, eaten out, gone to events and all has been good! It is those who say fuck it and assemble in large crowds or feel invincible that are being stupid. In Colorado the three main groups are nursing homes (still), prisons, and universities.

Yup. You have to live your life. And as non-PC as it sounds, for most people the risk of this virus is greatly over-worried to the point that I think 100 years from now it will be looked back upon and psychologically studied as a true hysteria, in the literal as opposed to the figurative use of that word.

ScottySkis

Yup. You have to live your life. And as non-PC as it sounds, for most people the risk of this virus is greatly over-worried to the point that I think 100 years from now it will be looked back upon and psychologically studied as a true hysteria, in the literal as opposed to the figurative use of that word.

I agree with BG lol

jimmywilson69

We've done the same. We have a bubble of friends who are all like minded as well.

In a lot of ways I've not really changed my habits. We don't eat out tons now or before. When we do there are social distancing rules I effect.

As winter approaches not sure how this is all going to work. Skiing indoor life etc. Hopefully it can stay stays quo, but who knows with the "surge" happening.

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

As winter approaches not sure how this is all going to work.

I think sales of these are going to break all-time records & possibly even sell-out & not be available.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a way to play it via equity as I did with WGO.

RTA_HLDS01-SSHGT.jpg

kingslug

And then I watch some news...Montana hospital almost full..26 dead. Its like another world this is happening in. Then I go to work..10 people out of 1000 in my building..were preparing to board up the windows for the election. Just fucking ...nuts.

Los

Well said.

dlague

Think is a combo of both. Some bring it in but then residents spread it out from there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

It is not the non locals bringing it in - maybe in some cases but not 100% there are locals that are also getting it by commingling with locals! Technically when this first started there were non locals that brought it in but once it was in a state it does not mean non locals kept it going!

Smellytele

It is not the non locals bringing it in - maybe in some cases but not 100% there are locals that are also getting it by commingling with locals! Technically when this first started there were non locals that brought it in but once it was in a state it does not mean non locals kept it going!

Didn’t say any of that so I agree.
Not knowing what was going to happen the rules and guidelines were set up too late to make much of a difference.

People “escaped” from infected areas and the game was on. When people can have it without symptoms then not much you can do but test everyone and then quarantine everyone for 14 days then test everyone again. Not realistic.

Smellytele

Killington...

The season is right around the corner, and we can’t wait for the Longest Season in the East to get started. Over a month ago we sent out our Winter Operations Plan and although we included a lot of detail, we still had some unanswered questions that we will address today. You will find high-level information below and we encourage you to click the links to our website for all the details.

Our continued goal is to ensure the wellbeing of all, and an important part of Operation Stay Safe is managing the number of people on property at any given time. Doing so will enable appropriate physical distancing so that you may stay safe and have a great, fun-filled Killington Resort experience.  

Parking reservations are an important part of us ensuring all at the resort are able to appropriately physically distance. The parking reservation system will be in place every day of the season and parking spaces must be reserved before arriving to the resort to ensure availability. Starting Thursday, November 5, at 10:00 a.m. you can book up to seven advance days throughout the season. Once the season begins, you will also be able to book an unlimited number of days in the immediate rolling 7-day window. As your advance days fall into the rolling 7-day window, you can book additional advance days, only reserving up to seven at any given time. See more details and examples to better explain how it works here.  

We will continue to ask guests to treat your car like a base lodge and, if you can, boot up at your car. After further consideration and feedback from you – our core guests – we understand that for some access to the lodge to put boots on in the morning is needed. We will allow guests to boot up in a lodge (if building capacity allows); however, bags cannot be left in the lodge and bag check will be moved to a new location that can be accessed at the end of the day from outside.

Although we announced our anticipated opening dates at Killington and Pico this date continues to be dependent on having top-to-bottom skiing and riding with access to multiple base area lifts. If Mother Nature does not allow us to achieve this, we will delay our opening date. From Opening Day through Sunday, November 22, access to the mountain will be reserved for Killington Season Passholders and Ikon guests only. Express Card Holders, day tickets, buddy passes, vouchers etc. will be accepted starting Monday, November 23, and will be on-sale beginning Friday, November 6. Per state of Vermont guidance, guests can travel to Vermont only from approved counties on the Vermont Travel map or need to quarantine for 14 days prior to their arrival. This travel map is updated on a weekly basis, every Tuesday and we expect this policy to be in place throughout the season.

For more information about what to expect this season, visit 20/21 Winter Operations. As a reminder, these plans are subject to change once the state of Vermont issues and approves ski resort restart guidance. We look forward to a great, fun-filled ski and ride season.  

As I stated in my last update, while there is always a competition to open first, we believe winning this year means all of us doing our part to put into place thoughtful plans and follow guidelines and best practices to keep one another safe, so that we may enjoy a full season of skiing and riding. I trust our commitment to continuing our candid communication gives you confidence in our plans for the upcoming season. I know everyone is continuing to adapt in their own way and I wanted to make sure you know how we continue to adjust. 

If you still have questions we haven’t answered yet, please submit them here. 

I look forward to seeing you on the trails. 

Mike Solimano
President & General Manager 
Learn More About Parking Reservations
InstagramFacebookTwitterYouTube

Alternate text
Killington Resort 4763 Killington Rd, Killington, Vermont 05751
Copyright [emoji767] 2020 Killington/Pico Resort Partners LLC. All Rights Reserved.

This email was sent to tim.lamphere@comcast.net.
If you do not wish to receive any further email from us, please unsubscribe

JimG.

Staff member
After reading the email from K this morning, I'm pretty sure my next move is to get my money back from K for the pass I bought for this season. This parking plan is going to be a total mess. Do they really expect that people will do the right thing and cancel parking reservations they made but now can't use? Hey, I've got a nice bridge for sale.

Not a lot of money anyway, about $450. I'll take $250 of that and buy a Plattekill reserved parking pass. Premier parking right near the lodge guaranteed to be available to the parking passholder until 11am on any day skiing is open. That's the way to treat your customers!

kingslug

I'm just going to see how it goes. When I want to go there ..which isn;t that often I'll give it a try. If I get skunked enough with parking..then I won't. I'm not expecting much out of this season anyway...

BenedictGomez

It's really tough to mentally wargame this out predictively, but my base case is that ski resorts are really underestimating the net "P.I.T.A. factor" some of these rules & changes will be to people, and it will lead to a not insignificant number of people saying, "screw it" - primarily the casual 1 to 5 time per year skier types, the families with young children, and the folks who enjoy being pampered. My 2¢.

Los

Really bummed -- I bought MRG passes and put 3 of the kids into seasonal programs there. I was in a "safe" NH county until this week. Called MRG today to fish for info to see if I could still make it work - i.e. how I might be able to get away with day tripping from NH to VT all winter when clearly NH is going to be closed to day trippers this year because of the Covid hysteria. I'm willing to say screw it to Vermont's obnoxious quarantining laws (knowing that my family isn't really doing anything but going to work and school). But here's where my scheming fell apart: they're going to ask each child every day of the program if they're been quarantining. So, smartly, MRG knows that while many of us parents are willing to skirt the insane and irrational quarantining rules - there's no way in hell we're going to put our kids in a position of having to lie. So, that's it. Game's over. (I'm not criticizing MRG in any way, I'm just pointing out that they've figured out a very effective way of keeping day tripping kids from "bad" counties out of their kids programs...).

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. We have Ikon passes but since we live in NH, we technically won't be allowed to use them in VT and we only have 7 days at Loon. To supplement our Ikon passes then, I'm trying to decide whether to get Epic passes (for the 4 NH areas) or Cannon passes. To help me decide, I'm wondering if anyone might be willing to say what they'd get - Epic or Cannon - if that's the choice they were facing at this point...

Smellytele

Really bummed -- I bought MRG passes and put 3 of the kids into seasonal programs there. I was in a "safe" NH county until this week. Called MRG today to fish for info to see if I could still make it work - i.e. how I might be able to get away with day tripping from NH to VT all winter when clearly NH is going to be closed to day trippers this year because of the Covid hysteria. I'm willing to say screw it to Vermont's obnoxious quarantining laws (knowing that my family isn't really doing anything but going to work and school). But here's where my scheming fell apart: they're going to ask each child every day of the program if they're been quarantining. So, smartly, MRG knows that while many of us parents are willing to skirt the insane and irrational quarantining rules - there's no way in hell we're going to put our kids in a position of having to lie. So, that's it. Game's over. (I'm not criticizing MRG in any way, I'm just pointing out that they've figured out a very effective way of keeping day tripping kids from "bad" counties out of their kids programs...).

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. We have Ikon passes but since we live in NH, we technically won't be allowed to use them in VT and we only have 7 days at Loon. To supplement our Ikon passes then, I'm trying to decide whether to get Epic passes (for the 4 NH areas) or Cannon passes. To help me decide, I'm wondering if anyone might be willing to say what they'd get - Epic or Cannon - if that's the choice they were facing at this point...
just an FYI - Cannon is stopping the sale of season passes on Sunday Nov 1