• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Newpylong

Same for ours though all the details are still coming. I will be pushing for them to go back, I am comfortable with it (for now) and remote was a royal PITA and that was with it being loosey goosey.

My daughter's preschool is not allowing backpacks in the building, that's a head scratcher for me.

skiur

Why do you guys argue with BG, you know he is right 100% of the time.

BenedictGomez

Why do you guys argue with BG, you know he is right 100% of the time.

Point out the things regarding COVID19 in this thread I'm wrong about; and please use facts like I have which can be backed up by either CDC guidance or completed clinical studies, rather than emotional blather.

CRITICALLY, please contact The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and let them know why they're wrong too. You'll be doing your nation a great service.

cdskier

6 students and 3 faculty have now tested positive at the school from the viral photo of crowded hallways last week. Off to a good start! And the superintendent of the district says the crowded hallway situation isn't a big deal because it only happens for short periods between classes. He also says he can't require students to wear masks...

cdskier

CRITICALLY, please contact The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and let them know why they're wrong too. You'll be doing your nation a great service.

Let's look carefully at what the AAP said. There are a lot of caveats and conditions they raised (including substantial new investments in schools to be able to reopen safely):

Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts. A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

Reopening schools in a way that maximizes safety, learning, and the well-being of children, teachers, and staff will clearly require substantial new investments in our schools and campuses. We call on Congress and the administration to provide the federal resources needed to ensure that inadequate funding does not stand in the way of safely educating and caring for children in our schools. Withholding funding from schools that do not open in person fulltime would be a misguided approach, putting already financially strapped schools in an impossible position that would threaten the health of students and teachers.

skiur

Point out the things regarding COVID19 in this thread I'm wrong about; and please use facts like I have which can be backed up by either CDC guidance or completed clinical studies, rather than emotional blather.

How could I point anything out? Did you not read my post? We all know you are the supreme poster on AZ.

drjeff

6 students and 3 faculty have now tested positive at the school from the viral photo of crowded hallways last week. Off to a good start! And the superintendent of the district says the crowded hallway situation isn't a big deal because it only happens for short periods between classes. He also says he can't require students to wear masks...

So the reality is with the situation in Georgia. one of the school aged kids had been infected, and probably in a sub acute way, from some other location outside of the school. Either the student wasn't showing any symptoms or the parents chose to send the student to school anyway (if it's the later, that's a problem).

Now the other variable is was the 8 others to since test positive, are we certain that they came into contact with the initial student presumed to be the infection source, or may there be another student or faculty who was also infected and not aware? Also, did the other 8 cases now from that school spend a fair amount of time in close contact with the presumed initial case (such as sitting near that student or just in the same classroom or bus) or was it just possibly from some random passing ion the hall for a short period of time.

Also, what is the health status of the other people? Did they have some other co-morbidities? Were they using proper mask wearing protocols as well as hand sanitizing policies?

There are likely far more critical details that the headlines elude to with this story

cdskier

Were they using proper mask wearing protocols as well as hand sanitizing policies?

There are likely far more critical details that the headlines elude to with this story

I agree. We already know mask compliance there was extremely low. And I think it is utter BS that the district says they can't require masks. Why not? In my town when I was a kid we had requirements on when you could wear shorts and how long they had to be. Yet something that plays a critical role in health and safety isn't possible to require and enforce down in Georgia? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

BenedictGomez

I agree. We already know mask compliance there was extremely low. And I think it is utter BS that the district says they can't require masks. Why not? In my town when I was a kid we had requirements on when you could wear shorts and how long they had to be. Yet something that plays a critical role in health and safety isn't possible to require and enforce down in Georgia? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Agreed. Though I'm not a lawyer, so maybe there's something there we're not comprehending in the public context.

Your shorts example is better than this, but I'll give a similar example in that if we didn't have a coat we were prevented from going outside for recess in winter. That's not an article of clothing driven ban on attending school, but it is an article of clothing ban on attending an activity at school. So at a minimum, wouldn't it be okay to say, "if your high school kid wont wear a mask they must attend the distance learning" option of school? At any rate, I'm pretty sure all private schools can require mask use since they can legally require all other sorts of clothing (pants, skirts, collared shirts, bloushes, etc..).

drjeff

Going to be interesting to see in some counties, where the virus prevalence may not have been too great recently, and at a level where if one wants to go to VT, their home county has been in a "green" status, what happens if they happen to have a college in their county, as the students come back on campus if they aren't all virtual, and how the likely positive cases, even if not in great quantity, affect on'e home counties "VT color travel" status??

I will say that while I don't live too far from the UCONN campus, I am glad that the campus is located just on the the other side of that imaginary line that delineates my home county from the county that the UCONN campus is in....

machski

am hoping skiers/riders from "hotspots" as defined below, will quarantine as required by the gov before arriving in our safe state.

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel
Good luck with that. I live 1/2 mile inside the one "bad" NH county. I seriously doubt I'll let that short distance guide my decisions this winter, especially with my town having next to none and we do all our shopping in a "good" county.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
am hoping skiers/riders from "hotspots" as defined below, will quarantine as required by the gov before arriving in our safe state.

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel

You may get your wish. But I hope Vermont has a good year selling cheddar cheese and maple syrup because the VT economy isn't going to survive if the "bad" people from "hotspot" areas stay away.

I already concede that I will defer my K pass to 21-22 and ski in NY only. So VT won't be getting a dime from me.

Does this make you happy?

Edd

I was looking forward to having Sunapee on a pass this season but I’ve a feeling it’s going to be busier than usual if VT is problematic for visitors.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Good luck with that. I live 1/2 mile inside the one "bad" NH county. I seriously doubt I'll let that short distance guide my decisions this winter, especially with my town having next to none and we do all our shopping in a "good" county.

This isnt what you meant, but it got me thinking about what I think is one of those uncovered COVID19 stories. There are people from areas where COVID19 is bad that are intentionally traveling rather far to do their shopping in the "good" counties, and it's somewhat obvious if you live in one of those good counties.

BenedictGomez

You may get your wish. But I hope Vermont has a good year selling cheddar cheese and maple syrup because the VT economy isn't going to survive if the "bad" people from "hotspot" areas stay away.

I dont follow Vermont media, but has anyone seen this addressed as a function of tax dollars & the hole it will create? I know when I lived in Vermont, taxes on "all-in" tourist spending was one of the largest sources of revenue for the state. Just restaurants & lodging alone IIRC was something like #2 or #3 highest tax capture, let alone all the other manner in which tourist tax dollars are captured. So much of that is gone given May, June, July, and now August are mostly a loss.