• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seems pretty simple . No shirt,shoes,mask "No Service" . Assaulting someone because of an entitlement attitude needs to be cured with some time in jail.

Got to thinking about N95 masks as I wear them a lot . Does trapping your breath and re breathing it have long term health affects? I have an 02 analyzer ( Recently calibrated ) I put on a mask and put the probe underneath and checked 02 level . I was surprised it dropped to 17.5% pretty significant drop ! I was not doing any kind of strenuous activity . Wearing a mask in conditioned space is one thing but 95F 60% humidity is not .

" I you have a condition where you have "difficulty" breathing with a mask, you are exactly the person who needs to wear one"
Exactly! you shouldn't be out in public .

https://preview.redd.it/8r9188v2twc11.gif?format=mp4&b8291374
I sell critical care patient monitors; all of which have SPO2 sensors. Even wearing a N95 mask for hours, your drop in SPO2 might be 1-2%. Completely insignificant

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Hence why I'm so hung up on how our NYC-area leaders haven't been absolutely raked over the coals for sending COVID-positive patients back into nursing homes while thousands of extra hospital beds they requested sat idle.

They're in the same club, which shields them from serious media criticism.

JimG.

Staff member
They wouldn't even have to pull them over. They just scan your plate now and know exactly who you are. The only issue though is how do they know if they have isolated for two weeks, unless this is done in tandom with checks of people coming across the border, and theres no way VT has the resources to do that

I think you're assuming that every out of state skier who was singled out would automatically lie and say they did isolate for 2 weeks. Many would not.

I base this on an experience I had in April after NY locked down. I took my son to Utica on a college visit to SUNY Poly; it was the only college campus he had not yet visited. We were just there to drive around and look. When we got there 2 state troopers were pulling over all out of state plates at the entrance. We got waved through. Must have been 7 or 8 out of state plates pulled over. A few were talking with the troopers. We looked around for about 20 minutes and headed back out. None of those cars ever entered the campus and all were gone when we left.

So sure, a few hard asses will debate and argue with the cops or just lie and say they complied. A few of them will get to ski. But the majority of people who get questioned will admit they are not compliant. And home they will go.

Pez

What about about my rights to go to the grocery store for food and not get a disease that could impact my health for years to come?

I never realized how selfish Americans have become until now.

jimk

For perspective BG, the CDC has changed its guidance for what I do for a living, with respect to a few key items involved in this conversation, that gives some relevance which I think can be hypothesized currently into what ski area ops may look like this winter, if things don't drastically get worse.

#1 - even in the "high risk" environment that I work in, with aerosols being generated directly into and out of the oral cavity, and in close proximity to the oral cavity, no longer is the guidance that myself or my staff has to wear an N95 or higher mask. I am wearing a regular surgical mask while working just like I wear when I go into a store to get groceries or something similar.

#2 The CDC about 3 weeks ago, changed its guidance for room disinfection after aerosol generating procedures. It had been to disinfectant all surfaces and then leave undisturbed for 15 minutes before bringing the next patient in, now it is just like it was all along pre COVID-19, which is disinfect all surfaces and then you are immediately free to bring the next patient into the room if you want to.

As science learns more and more about the nuisances of COVID-19 it seems to be showing that it can be effectively prevented transmission wise with simpler face coverings than originally thought, and out on exposed surfaces, it is easier to neutralize than originally speculated.

Now if it is able to populate ones oral cavity and throat past a certain quantity (which seems to vary greatly depending on a slew of factors from age, concentrated exposure time, underlying co-morbidities, etc) then that can be a serious issue for some, but certainly not all.

Would I want to be riding in a gondola or bubble chair with someone showing multiple symptoms? Nope. Would I feel comfortable riding a gondola or bubble chair while wearing a mask and someone who isn't showing any symptoms, even if they happen to be COVID-19 positive? Probably. Since the reality is while to my knowledge I haven't worked on anyone as of yet who was confirmed to be COVID-19 positive, the reality is that I more than likely have, and as of about 10 days ago, I am still testing negative for COVID-19.

I fully get that this disease process does scare many people. And that's OK, and for some, very appropriate. My own personal experiences in a high risk environment for communicable disease transmission for the past 25yrs has taught me to trust the precautions and continually practice them and that the risk to myself if I follow those things is very low. Life isn't a zero risk thing, and everyone has their own comfort levels with various risks that we encounter every day.

If the data shows that even if I do contract COVID-19 that there is roughly a 99% chance that I will recover, that's a risk I am comfortable with. That's just my own feeling, and I fully understand that others have their own, different feelings as well

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

You sir have my complete respect. Health care and medical professionals are everyone's hope and heroes these days.
JVGdPsIla9lSN6eI_cI8PZDyuEMC-dM7OdAj67Wo7Kq2MM64MvTjIftrBr6T0pxL4GZazGjf_Kg68qfq6fLj5YrEN6W1ihPkcRvSKPLKEMwSfYCN0x7w6y3_idyLrfozCBvV4hmhCnkBKLhVow

Attachments

• bowing emoticon.jpg
    bowing emoticon.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 99

mister moose

I sell critical care patient monitors; all of which have SPO2 sensors. Even wearing a N95 mask for hours, your drop in SPO2 might be 1-2%. Completely insignificant
You mean while lying in a hospital bed, right? What about when the pulse rate is 120 or 130 and breathing is 4-6 times as rapid and added to the thinner air at elevation?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
You mean while lying in a hospital bed, right? What about when the pulse rate is 120 or 130 and breathing is 4-6 times as rapid and added to the thinner air at elevation?
You can look up specific studies for those conditions if you like. I'm sure there's been one.

First hit on Google is this one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3VodkO3vPcUMgSjelZSQcR

Under moderate exertion, the drop-in SPO2 while wearing a N95 is even less than what I had stated.

Newpylong

What about about my rights to go to the grocery store for food and not get a disease that could impact my health for years to come?

I never realized how selfish Americans have become until now.

I just hope the individuals making the headlines are a fraction of the population. The greatest generation would otherwise be rolling in their graves.

machski

I think you're assuming that every out of state skier who was singled out would automatically lie and say they did isolate for 2 weeks. Many would not.

I base this on an experience I had in April after NY locked down. I took my son to Utica on a college visit to SUNY Poly; it was the only college campus he had not yet visited. We were just there to drive around and look. When we got there 2 state troopers were pulling over all out of state plates at the entrance. We got waved through. Must have been 7 or 8 out of state plates pulled over. A few were talking with the troopers. We looked around for about 20 minutes and headed back out. None of those cars ever entered the campus and all were gone when we left.

So sure, a few hard asses will debate and argue with the cops or just lie and say they complied. A few of them will get to ski. But the majority of people who get questioned will admit they are not compliant. And home they will go.
This is a slippery slope, you know interstate commerce laws and all. Can't just pull over other state liscense plates just "because." That is illegal, period, and would surely open the state to legal challenges. Remember RI threatened to do that to NY and NJ plates early on, Cuomo said he would take RI to court to protect his citizens rights. RI backed down real fast.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

I just hope the individuals making the headlines are a fraction of the population.

It's very likely that they are. Any time you see a crazy anecdote, remember that it was curated by an entertainment company to rile the audience up because it knows that teaching the audience to harbor resentment for the "other" tribe is ultimately good for business. It's one of the cheapest and most dangerous tricks in the book (all sides are guilty of this BTW). Anecdotes tell us about the particular example at hand, but the "news" curator wants to fool the audience into thinking they can make inferences beyond the anecdotes they see. The anecdote is a cheap mind trick that plays with our learning process.

Regarding skiing, I really hope that much of the population has T cell immunity and we don't need 50-70%+ of the population or a vaccine to get back to normalcy. Maybe it's just because it's the middle of the summer and not much progress seems to have been made since March, but I'm becoming less optimistic as I see season pass curtailments, etc.

slatham

This is a slippery slope, you know interstate commerce laws and all. Can't just pull over other state liscense plates just "because." That is illegal, period, and would surely open the state to legal challenges. Remember RI threatened to do that to NY and NJ plates early on, Cuomo said he would take RI to court to protect his citizens rights. RI backed down real fast.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Actually, the issue with RI's initial rule was it focused ONLY on NY State. They then (quickly) changed it to anyone out of state. Not sure, but they may have also backed off pulling over cars at the state line. But like many States, they have rules/laws pertaining to out of state visitors entering their state.

ScottySkis

Regarding skiing, I really hope that much of the population has T cell immunity and we don't need 50-70%+ of the population or a vaccine to get back to normalcy. Maybe it's just because it's the middle of the summer and not much progress seems to have been made since March, but I'm becoming less optimistic as I see season pass curtailments, "

I believe it terrible virus
I think actual was created or messed with in lab and accidentally got out
Seems to much stuff about it as virus go never had this effects on everything like this
Summer heat did nothing to its
And crazy how if effect different ly
As far as mistake illness virus go I kinda believes that probably came from anooloer world powers
By accident
All our government people in charge on both parties mess up a lot in telling the citz ens truth
So in January- March they all should been working on everything they only started many 2eeks later
And I sure lots are allies in Europe and world wide where telling our whola government what they could had expected and ramp up what we needed as country ass it supposed to protect the citizens
I giuues when I think about being screwed by the U.S. government both political parties bascccily same corrupt money hungry corporate and care about$$$$ and nothing else
Sorry for the rant. I loss few extended family due the virus
So have symthogy for any 1 effect by it to

icecoast1

Actually, the issue with RI's initial rule was it focused ONLY on NY State. They then (quickly) changed it to anyone out of state. Not sure, but they may have also backed off pulling over cars at the state line. But like many States, they have rules/laws pertaining to out of state visitors entering their state.

That's because at the time, New York (mainly NYC) was the worst hotspot in the nation, NY is literally doing the same thing now, that they threatened to sue for in the past.

prsboogie

Are you within 6 feet of someone else? If not take your mask off because your socially distanced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
That's because at the time, New York (mainly NYC) was the worst hotspot in the nation, NY is literally doing the same thing now, that they threatened to sue for in the past.

Had to take my son to the local urgent care for a COVID test for him to go to college. In front of us was a guy who had just returned from RI from a business trip whose employer told him he needed to get a test to return to work. When the nurse informed him that he needed to immediately go home and quarantine for the next 2 weeks I thought he would hit the ceiling. I guess the employer didn't tell him that would be the case.

Most people have no clue about restrictions or rules and don't care until something like that happens. Ignorance and selfishness abound!

JimG.

Staff member

I hear that RI has been quite rigorous in enforcing their restrictions.

prsboogie

Had to take my son to the local urgent care for a COVID test for him to go to college. In front of us was a guy who had just returned from RI from a business trip whose employer told him he needed to get a test to return to work. When the nurse informed him that he needed to immediately go home and quarantine for the next 2 weeks I thought he would hit the ceiling. I guess the employer didn't tell him that would be the case.

Most people have no clue about restrictions or rules and don't care until something like that happens. Ignorance and selfishness abound!
Well she gave him bad info unless he was positive. In which case he likely had covid before his trip and was asymptomatic. RI has some of the lowest numbers in the country per capita and Gina w as s all over them hard.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just hope the individuals making the headlines are a fraction of the population. The greatest generation would otherwise be rolling in their graves.
It's a regional thing. I've been splitting time for work between Boston, central VT and Northern Maine lately.

Boston the mask wearing percentage is like 99.9999% both indoors and out. Joggers, bikers etc all wearing masks within the city limits. Basically the only time you see people not wearing them is while eating.

VT I'd put the percentage at 95%, though typically only indoors.

Maine? Outside of along the coast and other tourist areas, the percentage is 50% at best with little regard for social distancing