Ski Resort Response to COVID-19 - Page 86

AlpineZone

Page 86 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Wearing down your boots can also throw off your alignment in your bindings. this can be dangerous, especially if you have had your boots beveleved due to canting issues. Some canting issues are also fixed with shims, but very often boots are shaved for alignment that a custom foot bed can't fix.

Water - do not carry a water bottle, use a bladder type thing. I know 2 people who broke ribs landing on a water bottle in their jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Glade Monkey View Post
    Anyone tried this type of device? Seem kinda like creepy-crawlers for adding to regular boots for walking on ice.
    https://www.rei.com/product/435109/seirus-cat-tracks
    Yes, used for years as well. Have used early season up/down the Killington stairway to North Ridge and used them late season to hike over Locke to White Cap after Heat closed to ski then back across Locke Townhomes to Barker. They work quite well, bit they are not "locked" on and have had on occasion where one comes off mid-hike. Overall have protected my toe/heel plates very well and add substantial traction, especially when I was in Atomic Redsters that were basically race plug type boots without any rubber on the footbases.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    I've driven a five-speed XTerra in ski boots plenty of times. The only significant issue with that particular setup was catching the buckles on the plastic around the footwell.

With a manual Subaru and tele boots, it does take an extra bit of care to get the clutch depressed all the way to the floor so you can start the car, but it's entirely doable.

Upshifting a motorcycle is a bit tricky; downshifting isn't so bad, but you obviously don't have a lot of feel for it. I've been told it's not as bad with a heel-toe shifter.

Definitely easier with an automatic with a lot of space around the pedals and traction control/ABS, though.
    In my old subaru I couldn't get the clutch to the floor with my ski boots on.

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Driving 15 minutes in ski boots on mountain roads seems rather risky.

I've heard people joke about that as a thing, but I didnt know it was actually a thing.
    I have hit the throttle and the brake at the same time with ski boots on and scared the shit out of my wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post

Upshifting a motorcycle is a bit tricky; downshifting isn't so bad, but you obviously don't have a lot of feel for it. I've been told it's not as bad with a heel-toe shifter.

Are you really riding a motorcycle in ski boots? How about a bicycle? Unicycle?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Just a thought, why couldn't the ski areas have a lot more benches, picnic tables etc next to the parking lot. Then have coin operated lockers outside of their building. That way people could put ski boots on closer to the base, then dump their crap in a outdoor locker. While using the outdoor locker, people can be polite and social distancing while going to their lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    Just a thought, why couldn't the ski areas have a lot more benches, picnic tables etc next to the parking lot. Then have coin operated lockers outside of their building. That way people could put ski boots on closer to the base, then dump their crap in a outdoor locker. While using the outdoor locker, people can be polite and social distancing while going to their lockers.
    I would think the coin slots and locking mechanism would freeze up during the new england winter making the lockers useless.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I would think the coin slots and locking mechanism would freeze up during the new england winter making the lockers useless.
    That and it would probably get covered in snow where it would become useless.

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Are you really riding a motorcycle in ski boots? How about a bicycle? Unicycle?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Given the results when I tried riding a unicycle in normal footwear, I definitely wouldn't want to try in ski boots.

Motorcycle? Yes, for short distances (2-3 miles). Much longer than that and it's worth the time to change in and out of proper motorcycle boots. One of the guys I worked with at Killington rode home to Pittsfield in race boots, though, after his significant other forgot that his street shoes were in her car and left early.

I haven't tried a bicycle, but I've seen evidence of it being done (and apparently in race boots):

Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

2019/20 = 23 Cut Short!
    2018/19 = 36
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Thread Information