• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

machski

Vermont is nuts. I live in Hillsborough County NH by 1/2 mile (1/2 mile east and I would be in Londonderry in Rockinham County). Our county is on the bad list but that is due currently to Goffstown being over 100 active cases (surprisingly less in Manchester and Nashua, but Goffstown does have a state prison in town). My town? Less than 5 active cases and we do all our shopping next door in the "good for VT" county. Add to it, our /million rate is THE SAME currently as 3 COUNTIES in VT! But, we can't come. That's fine, I'll stay in NH and Maine this winter. Screw VT if they want to play these silly games. It might be ok if all their counties were below their standards, but where they aren't, they are being hypocrits now.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

Vermont is nuts. I live in Hillsborough County NH by 1/2 mile (1/2 mile east and I would be in Londonderry in Rockinham County). Our county is on the bad list but that is due currently to Goffstown being over 100 active cases (surprisingly less in Manchester and Nashua, but Goffstown does have a state prison in town). My town? Less than 5 active cases and we do all our shopping next door in the "good for VT" county. Add to it, our /million rate is THE SAME currently as 3 COUNTIES in VT! But, we can't come. That's fine, I'll stay in NH and Maine this winter. Screw VT if they want to play these silly games. It might be ok if all their counties were below their standards, but where they aren't, they are being hypocrits now.

My County in rural NY keeps going back and forth as it's right on the threshold on VTs list. Seems kind of crazy, even at the peak of things, we never really had a huge problem. Its getting a bit ridiculous at this point

drjeff

I hear you with the prison population influence factor and VT's numbers. With last weeks VT map update, my home County in CT finally hit "green" status, even though to date, my county has had less than 650 total cases out of a County population of about 110,000 and we had a "spike" about 3 weeks ago on the VT map when the prison in the town I live in dropped 132 positive cases into the County report. If you remove those cases from my Counties total, we're at just over 500 total cases for the County and 12 deaths (8 from 1 nursing home) this entire time. And up until last weeks VT's numbers, we've been a quarantine county.... :roll::roll::roll:

EPB

I go west for skiing nearly every year. Everyone in my group agrees we’re not willing to fly out there this coming season.

It’ll be interesting to see how Colorado fares with ski visits. I assume their business models rely on out of staters for skiing. A few will come, no doubt.

If Canada lifts restrictions on US residents crossing the border, I’d do a Quebec trip I think. Might get some weird vibes up there though.

I'd have no fear going out west to ski. I'd rent a condo & a rental car as per usual. The "sacrifices" or COVID19 specific changes I'd make (assuming the trip is pre-vaccine) is that I'd avoid indoor restaurants & gondolas.

Shocking you guys are on the opposite side of this one. :grin:

I remember in one of my squishy business school classes a professor talking about this phenomenon whereby people assume their preferences/tendencies are "normal". As an example, most people think it's unethical to lie in negotiations. When those people are asked, they think ~2/3 of people also think lying in negotiations is unethical. They happen to be right. When you ask someone who thinks that it's fine to lie in negotiations, they also assume that ~2/3 of the population thinks its fine, too.

The only way we're going to know is to wait and watch it pan out. I suppose my best guess for what lodging clientele will look like out west this year involves a lot of cowboy hats, red meat consumption per capita, etc.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Shocking you guys are on the opposite side of this one. :grin:

To be fair, MOST people will be on the opposite side of me on this one. I dont care; I simply follow the science & let it guide me wherever it will, and "the science" is about the last thing you're currently hearing in the media. If the story isn't about everyone dying from COVID19 (twice), it's not covered. The public is being unnecessarily scared for both marketing dollars & politics, in that magnitudinal order. Precautions need to be taken against this very serious virus, but life does not need to stop, and that includes skiing outdoors.

bizarrefaith

Not sure if this got discussed upthread but Boyne suspended all season pass sales June 15th - so Sugarloaf, Loon, Big Sky, Sunday River - no passes available to purchase now and no details about when or if they will go back on sale.

mbedle

Not sure if this got discussed upthread but Boyne suspended all season pass sales June 15th - so Sugarloaf, Loon, Big Sky, Sunday River - no passes available to purchase now and no details about when or if they will go back on sale.

"As we further develop our operating plans for next season, we may limit the total number of season passes we sell." That might be really good news for Saddleback this season.

Edd

I didn’t know that. I was holding off on buying an Epic but maybe I shouldn’t.

prsboogie

I didn’t know that. I was holding off on buying an Epic but maybe I shouldn’t.
Boyne was very clear on their websites what they were doing several months ago. EPIC has made no indication they would limit sales to this point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zand

Not sure how MA plans on enforcing its new rules about signing up on their website when traveling and then quarantining 2 weeks or face a $500 per day fine. But if they somehow do figure out how to enforce it then west trips just got much more difficult this year. That plus Vermont and Maine keeping us out might lead to a deferral on the Ikon pass this year. Would be looking at either Epic or maybe a Cannon pass.

machski

Not sure how MA plans on enforcing its new rules about signing up on their website when traveling and then quarantining 2 weeks or face a $500 per day fine. But if they somehow do figure out how to enforce it then west trips just got much more difficult this year. That plus Vermont and Maine keeping us out might lead to a deferral on the Ikon pass this year. Would be looking at either Epic or maybe a Cannon pass.
The only way they could would be for air travelers to have to sign in upon arrival at Logan (or Worcester if they still have any commercial flights there). So the key would be to just go around BOS (use MHT or PVD) this winter if need be. I know options are even more limited than usual out of both right now, but there are options to be creative. No way MA would be able to enforce by car.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The only way they could would be for air travelers to have to sign in upon arrival at Logan (or Worcester if they still have any commercial flights there). So the key would be to just go around BOS (use MHT or PVD) this winter if need be. I know options are even more limited than usual out of both right now, but there are options to be creative. No way MA would be able to enforce by car.

Until Southwest or someone else increases service to MHT, don't expect a lot of flights. Two years ago or so Southwest moved most of their ops to BOS and took flights away from MHT and PWM. Both are shadows of their former selves. It is sad and makes our trips more difficult as arriving in BOS on a late afternoon results in sitting in traffic jams on I-93 to go north.

machski

Until Southwest or someone else increases service to MHT, don't expect a lot of flights. Two years ago or so Southwest moved most of their ops to BOS and took flights away from MHT and PWM. Both are shadows of their former selves. It is sad and makes our trips more difficult as arriving in BOS on a late afternoon results in sitting in traffic jams on I-93 to go north.
Yeah, I don't see MHT or PVD gaining much service beyond what they have or had and are scheduled to get back this fall. Southwest built both up huge but cut back and shifted to BOS when they felt a major threat from JetBlue at BOS. PVD had also pissed Southwest off, Southwest wanted a runway expansion of 5/23 to 9000' minimum to allow nonstop flights to the west coast. PVD never managed that, so that was a big part of their shift from there. MHT got the runways lengthened but in the end, wasn't enough to keep them after they shifted strategy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

fullsend7

What sucks is all the new bs regulations to flying from this virus. And I think they are going to make these new mask requirements permanent, because government. It stinks for me because I usually have to get on a plane to go skiing. I haven't been on a plane this year and therefor didn't get hardly any skiing. Skiing must have been awesome in the 90's when you could just hop on a plane quickly and fly to awesome mountains half way across the country.

Keelhauled

Dude, the mask requirements for flying are all coming from the airlines, not the government.

dblskifanatic

Dude, the mask requirements for flying are all coming from the airlines, not the government.

We have flown twice since the the quarantine and we were required to wear a face to go through security but walking around it was a mixed bag where about 2/3 of the people were wearing them. You have to have them on to get on the plane but once you were seated people took them off not all though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dblskifanatic

Earlier the were talks of limitations on capacity and lodge use. Ski teams/races bring in huge groups and I would hope if crowds are limited they limit them too! I would imagine apres ski being limited too!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

I flew last week. Lots and lots of people had their face mask below their nose. Lots of people had no face mask at all because they were eating or drinking. Many people had a drink that appeared to be a prop in order to give them an excuse not to wear their mask. They would take a small sip every few minutes just to keep up the charade. Overall, I was pretty appalled.

This was in the Logan terminal. I was the only passenger on my Cape Air flights to/from Lebanon, NH and Boston. I had a credit that was about to expire so I made a day trip to pick some things up in Boston that my wife wanted.

Last edited:

kbroderick

Earlier the were talks of limitations on capacity and lodge use. Ski teams/races bring in huge groups and I would hope if crowds are limited they limit them too! I would imagine apres ski being limited too!

The ski-racing community was quicker to respond than most during the initial stages of the European and American outbreak in March, and discussion has been going on since then as to what the coming season will look like. I don't know a whole lot about what any particular resort or club will be doing, but managing off-snow time is definitely a topic of discussion, as is what the competition schedule will look like.