• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Super season pass deal

VTKilarney

This is a combination or pressure from mega passes and the state of the economy.

BenedictGomez

I doubt it's necessary, but purely from a hedging standpoint I think it's a smart, conservative decision.

Cobbold

So it begins

The race for the cheapest season pass is on, who will be the cheapest with the most benefits? Does this crush tiny places all over the USA?

Zermatt

Yawn, front range resorts used to sell passes for $200 in the late 90s I believe. Powderhorn is barely a resort.

Fun fact, if they go bankrupt and don't open next season you won't get your money back.

Another fun fact, I'd actually like to try this place in a good snow year.

p_levert

Powderhorn won't go broke. They're the local ski area for Grand Junction. The metro population of GJ is now 150k and growing steadily. Popular with baby boomers.

snoseek

Haha I actually bought a powderhorn pass last spring. Used it a bunch of days,ended up in nh this winter and did a bunch of ragged days.

I've skied quite a few cherry picked days over the years. Many many awesome pow days. The snow they get is ultra light blower, vertical is decent, acerage surprisingly good and some of the best tree skiing you'll find. Also it's super chill.

BenedictGomez

I've only been to Grand Junction once, on my way to Moab, but I had no idea there was a ski area there until now, and wouldnt have believed it before reading this thread.

snoseek

I've only been to Grand Junction once, on my way to Moab, but I had no idea there was a ski area there until now, and wouldnt have believed it before reading this thread.

It's up on the Mesa just east of town. It's a whole different environment up there. Trees, lakes and mosquitos...lots of mosquitos!

It's probably one of the more drastic landscape changes in under an hour I've ever seen.

Edit-in would be on par with moab and the lasals which if you hit the right time of year you can ski up high and look down at town sitting in the 80's

jaytrem

Fun place. Got a weekday powder day there and we pretty much had that back double chair to ourselves. Snow was indeed super light as snoseek mentioned above.

jimk

Crazy thing is that the Powderhorn pass at $299 would be a great deal for someone living in the Wash DC suburbs, esp. Montgomery County. And that's without ever doing a day at powderhorn, because they get unlimited at Wisp, MD and lots of days at Wintergreen, VA. Both about 3 hrs from Wash DC area. AND with all the other reciprocal days that come with the powderhorn pass it would be easy for a Washingtonian to also build a one or two week trip out west using it.

Update, I just went to the Wisp and Wintergreen websites and their pass for next season is also $299 and includes unlimited at Powderhorn and other similar perks. Good deal either way for the right person.

Last edited:

puckoach

The $119 Senior price caught my eye. But, need to pick up the Powderhorn pass in person...