• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Newmarket NH

thebigo

Best I can conclude edd and DHS live there - what are the best places to eat? We live a bit up the road but grow tired of exeter and epping, what's the deal in newmarket?

Edd

We lost The Joinery permanently when the restaurant shutdowns started. That was an upscale southern cuisine joint. I would’ve recommended their brunch highly.

La Catrina (Mexican) has pretty good food and margaritas.

The Oak House is a hipster restaurant/pub. Pretty good food. Limited, but decent, brunch menu with $5 bloody mary and mimosa pints last I knew.

I personally like Basil Leaf, the Thai place, but I’m no Thai food expert. Same goes for Kume Bistro, the sushi place.

Panzenellas is a pizza joint/sports bar that does a hell of a business. Good pizza, but I don’t care for the atmosphere. Many do, though.

My favorite is Riverworks, a bar/restaurant. Small, in an ancient building. The atmosphere and food is right up my alley. I like the staff there the best. High turnover in recent years, but there’s usually a couple of great people in the mix.

Also, there’s the Stone Church for decent pub food and life music if that’s your thing. Highly recommend as a music venue.

The rest aren’t worth mentioning as sit down places. DHS is much more food knowledgeable than I so his takes may differ.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I pretty much agree with Edd's reviews. With a 5 year old and 16 month old we might have five nights a year where we get out for a sit down meal and usually hit a couple of places. Drinks and apps one place, entrees somewhere else. That's the nice thing about Newmarket. With everything located walking distance from each other, you can just park your car and stroll around for the evening.

Thai Basil is indeed as good of Thai as you'll find anywhere. Their pan fried dumplings are house made and crazy good.

WingItz has some tasty wings and a nice bar for watching a game.

On the breakfast side of things, Big Bean is great for sit-down. Very busy though with long waits on weekends. Brown's makes great bagels and breakfast sandwiches. Horseshoe Cafe is nationally recognized for their house roasted coffee.

As mentioned we don't get out much, but do grab takeout a couple of times a week. Johnny Boston's would be our favorite for that. Love almost everything on his menu.

If you're asking because you wish to visit now, the options continue to dwindle. Lost another place last night in Gepettos Pizza. Sad for them, but I haven't ate there in years. It's the one place in town we just really don't enjoy.

So, what's left is:

Big Bean and Browns for breakfast takeout.

Wing Itz , Panzanella and Thai Basil for lunch / dinner take out.

Schedules seem to change daily, so call ahead

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Oof, forgot to mention The Big Bean (slaps forehead). As DHS indicated, it’s great. I never go because it’s crowded and they don’t do booze. I’m trying takeout there today; excited because I haven’t had their food for at least a year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

snoseek

Newmarket is great. I need to do the same as you and check things out over there. I lived there in the 90s for a bit but everything is different now...probably for the better.

Bigo going in the other direction do you ever go to Johnson's? I like the food and the new brewery on site makes great beer

EPB

I can't imagine I'm the only one who finds it ironic that the guy who's preaching "anything to save a life" is taking stay at home guidance as an opportunity to venture into a new community.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

I can't imagine I'm the only one who finds it ironic that the guy who's preaching "anything to save a life" is taking stay at home guidance as an opportunity to venture into a new community.

It would be funny if this shit wasn't killing people. How hard is it to stay in your neighborhood?

EPB

It would be funny if this shit wasn't killing people. How hard is it to stay in your neighborhood?
It's certainly not fun, but if you're understandably worried about your spouse getting the virus (MAJOR kudos to her, by the way), it would be prudent to shorten your radius rather than lengthen it.

snoseek

I'm pretty sure he is sitting at home bored wondering about some new places to check out when this is over...

EPB

I'm pretty sure he is sitting at home bored wondering about some new places to check out when this is over...
I read it as he's sick of limited options in Epping/Exeter now and is looking for other takeout options. It's certainly possible that I misinterpreted.

thebigo

Correct, trying to look forward to better times when this shit is behind us. Thanks for the info on Newmarket, spent many a nights at Chuggers during undergrad, childhood friend owned Panzanelas back then. Chuggers would draw the curtains at last call, wait it out 20 minutes, go to sunup then we would raid the walk-in at Panzanelas for breakfast beers. Despite living a few towns over we just never make newmarket anymore. Family routine is to go out every Saturday. Usually end up in Epping, Dover or Exeter. Portsmouth was our favorite but it has changed, spent a Friday downtown with the wife in February, dont even know where to go anymore.

Johnsons is a good recommendation, always consider it but too far from anything else and always has a line, need to get in and out with the kids and usually need to run errands after. Have not been since the rebuild, hope to get there this summer.

DHS - WDH owns the works in somersworth and runs a Parents Night Out every other Saturday, it is open to the community but you need to call a few days ahead. We go most every offering during the off season, no time during ski season. For about $35 they take the kids from 4:00 - 8:00, feed them dinner and keep them busy: arts/crafts, swimming, waterslide, bouncy house, etc.

Thanks again, will look this thread up some time this summer and spend a night with the family in newmarket.

EPB

Thanks again, will look this thread up some time this summer and spend a night with the family in newmarket.

My mistake for stepping on your toes. Hope all is well. :beer: