Alterra Furloughs Employees and Postpones Some of its Lift Projects Slated for 2020 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dog View Post
    Have 25 employees who are in some cases making more $$ with the $600 federal check in addition to the UI they are all eligible for.
    This was shockingly stupid.

They're going to artificially keep unemployment higher than necessary, because many of those people are going to intentionally remain unemployed.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    In Vermont, if you make $53,000 a year or less you are as well, or better off, on unemployment.
    How is that possible, does Vermont have its' own additive unemployment benefit?

I'm additionally skeptical given the average annual income in Vermont is well-south of $53,000 a year.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

They're going to artificially keep unemployment higher than necessary, because many of those people are going to intentionally remain unemployed.
    The $600 adder only lasts through the end of July. The reality is that it's highly unlikely the economy is going to be sufficiently spun back up before then to get more than a minority of the recently unemployed working again, and by trying to make unemployment payments more closely match expected, earned income rather than just a minimal safety net, the (I think reasonable) hope is that people will be more willing to keep spending money and keep economic cogs turning.

I'm not going to bother doing the math for other states, but the Maine max weekly payment is normally $445; adding the $600 puts it more into a normal middle-class salary range. For someone who was making minimum wage prior, yes, that's a significant short-term raise; for someone making the median Maine salary of $55k, it's a slight haircut. If you want to keep it simple, I think that's probably a reasonable compromise.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    The $600 adder only lasts through the end of July. The reality is that it's highly unlikely the economy is going to be sufficiently spun back up before then to get more than a minority of the recently unemployed working again, and by trying to make unemployment payments more closely match expected, earned income rather than just a minimal safety net, the (I think reasonable) hope is that people will be more willing to keep spending money and keep economic cogs turning.

I'm not going to bother doing the math for other states, but the Maine max weekly payment is normally $445; adding the $600 puts it more into a normal middle-class salary range. For someone who was making minimum wage prior, yes, that's a significant short-term raise; for someone making the median Maine salary of $55k, it's a slight haircut. If you want to keep it simple, I think that's probably a reasonable compromise.
    Someone who was making minimum wage before being unemployed is not going to receive anywhere near the $445/wk from the state of Maine. They will likely be closer to the minimum weekly unemployment amount from the state (though they will get the full 600 extra from the feds, so still pretty good all things considered).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

U all want these threads to be deleted like other 1 where?
    That what going too happens

Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    U all want these threads to be deleted like other 1 where?
    That what going too happens
    Mods watching.

It seems like some people just can't help themselves.

Back to the topic. Liftblog said that Tremblant is getting a new lift in 2021 and that it may be delayed. Anyone know anything about that lift or the plan?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Back to the topic. Liftblog said that Tremblant is getting a new lift in 2021 and that it may be delayed. Anyone know anything about that lift or the plan?
    https://blogue.tremblant.ca/investments-20-22/

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Thanks.

I also think that our current situation will put a screeching halt to ski area acquisition by Vail and Alterra.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Thanks.

I also think that our current situation will put a screeching halt to ski area acquisition by Vail and Alterra.
    Agreed, unless a highly desirable resort happens to become available at a ridiculously low price. For the most part I don't see that happening though.

Thread Information