• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra Furloughs Employees and Postpones Some of its Lift Projects Slated for 2020

tumbler

Being a Sugarbush homer, this really bums me out for the year round staff. I hope some still are working so they can get paid. Reminds of the end of ASC days when we had bare bones staff and had to do the same.

slatham

Ironically Sugarbush would have qualified for the Small Business assistance in the CARES act. Alterra too big. Hopefully the enhanced unemployment benefits allow folks to survive the gap until things can restart, which hopefully is by summer.

1dog

Have 25 employees who are in some cases making more $$ with the $600 federal check in addition to the UI they are all eligible for.

I would assume the same for Bush employees.

Approx. 20% of our team are part time and are still collecting both checks.

VTKilarney

In Vermont, if you make $53,000 a year or less you are as well, or better off, on unemployment. This is even more true for our employees because we are paying 100% of their health insurance premium while they are on furlough.

Low wage earners are actually doing VERY well on unemployment.

Of course there are delays getting the money flowing. Vermont has had 70,000 applications in a state of 630,000 (many of whom are not working age).

BenedictGomez

Have 25 employees who are in some cases making more $$ with the $600 federal check in addition to the UI they are all eligible for.

This was shockingly stupid.

They're going to artificially keep unemployment higher than necessary, because many of those people are going to intentionally remain unemployed.

BenedictGomez

In Vermont, if you make $53,000 a year or less you are as well, or better off, on unemployment.

How is that possible, does Vermont have its' own additive unemployment benefit?

I'm additionally skeptical given the average annual income in Vermont is well-south of $53,000 a year.

kbroderick

They're going to artificially keep unemployment higher than necessary, because many of those people are going to intentionally remain unemployed.

The $600 adder only lasts through the end of July. The reality is that it's highly unlikely the economy is going to be sufficiently spun back up before then to get more than a minority of the recently unemployed working again, and by trying to make unemployment payments more closely match expected, earned income rather than just a minimal safety net, the (I think reasonable) hope is that people will be more willing to keep spending money and keep economic cogs turning.

I'm not going to bother doing the math for other states, but the Maine max weekly payment is normally $445; adding the $600 puts it more into a normal middle-class salary range. For someone who was making minimum wage prior, yes, that's a significant short-term raise; for someone making the median Maine salary of $55k, it's a slight haircut. If you want to keep it simple, I think that's probably a reasonable compromise.

machski

The $600 adder only lasts through the end of July. The reality is that it's highly unlikely the economy is going to be sufficiently spun back up before then to get more than a minority of the recently unemployed working again, and by trying to make unemployment payments more closely match expected, earned income rather than just a minimal safety net, the (I think reasonable) hope is that people will be more willing to keep spending money and keep economic cogs turning.

I'm not going to bother doing the math for other states, but the Maine max weekly payment is normally $445; adding the $600 puts it more into a normal middle-class salary range. For someone who was making minimum wage prior, yes, that's a significant short-term raise; for someone making the median Maine salary of $55k, it's a slight haircut. If you want to keep it simple, I think that's probably a reasonable compromise.

Someone who was making minimum wage before being unemployed is not going to receive anywhere near the $445/wk from the state of Maine. They will likely be closer to the minimum weekly unemployment amount from the state (though they will get the full 600 extra from the feds, so still pretty good all things considered).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

U all want these threads to be deleted like other 1 where?
That what going too happens

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back to the topic. Liftblog said that Tremblant is getting a new lift in 2021 and that it may be delayed. Anyone know anything about that lift or the plan?

cdskier

Thanks.

I also think that our current situation will put a screeching halt to ski area acquisition by Vail and Alterra.

Agreed, unless a highly desirable resort happens to become available at a ridiculously low price. For the most part I don't see that happening though.