• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breckenridge March 12,13,14 (15,16,17 didn't happen)

Funky_Catskills

My long planned Colorado adventure was to be to stay in Breck and travel out from there using my EPIC Pass. My Colorado friends were going to come visit me..
Well - nobody wanted to come out because of the virus and I had no car so.. I rode Breck. It was great sunny weather - we had a little snow every night. Was nice to ride at my own pace. Nervous about the whole virus thing but it didn't seem like a big deal at the point when I left. I kept telling myself if I could hike the peaks and not hack up a lung I was probably OK.. I pretty much stayed in my room when I wasn't riding a got room service delivered as I had heard that some of the Colorado areas had cases.

On the 14th I walked over to the lift and saw the signs about "social distancing".. I was then like "uh oh"... I backed off the line and got on my phone and changed my flights and shuttles to the next day. We were social distancing on the lifts as much as possible. Some thought is was BS some were paranoid. After I got back to the hotel room I found out the Vail had closed all of its areas. I packed up my shit that night... Tried to smoke all the stuff I had and finish off my bottle I bought.
Found out the shuttles were almost booked and the planes were getting booked up too so I was glad I took the time to change it BEFORE the shit went down.
Flights were strange.. I have lunge access so I stayed pretty out of the way of people.. My girlfriend picked me up at JFK - spent one night in Brooklyn and fled to Hunter where we've been ever since..

Stay safe y'all...

jimk

Glad you got to complete at least some of your ski trip plans and get back home safely. I skied in Utah four days that same week and was joined by friends from the East, they returned home ok too. Little did we know that would be the end of the lift-served season? It was a shock when they closed pretty much all the ski areas by March 15. Some of our shock was because I think virus awareness/concern was much slower to hit SLC than cities on the East and West coasts. SLC seems to be weeks behind other places with respect to the infection curve.

I skied Breckenridge in late January 2020 and had a good time.