• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

Tonyr

I was thinking of the area where Sterling runs. Its much colder over there at times than Some parts of Mansfield and has some potential.

The problem with Sterling is that the sun hits it first thing in the morning so that area melts out faster than Mt Mansfield. Also the sensation lift is never full, I don't see more development over there other than an interconnect with Smuggs which would be awesome btw.

kingslug

Interesting..there are times when we go over there and it much colder than Mansfield. I don't mind but my wife always points it out. Just seems like there is more potential there.

pauldotcom

Black Diamond Rush - Sugar Bush
Shock Wave - Sunday River
Lynx - Mad River
Jaws - Mount Snow
Stitich Line - Killy
Goat - Stowe
Free Fall - Smugs
Action - Tremblant
Stump Jumper - Okemo
Pipeline - Pico
Twilight Zone - Magic

dblskifanatic

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

While I have seen lots of interest runs in on this thread I started ponder - what really is a classic New England run? I have skied over 30 ski areas in Nee England some smaller and a run is barely a run but many of the ski areas where a single run is mentioned there are so many “Classic NE runs”. Ski out west and everything feels classic in NE. I find that many runs require linking up several runs which is part of the fun.

Saw Magic, perfect example of linking multiple runs

Upper Wizard to Magician or if you like it really narrow Broomstick then to Heart of Magician to Lower Magician.

Upper Wizard to Talisman.

Witch to Goniff Glade to Wand to Show-off

Witch to Red Line or Black Line

For 1500 vert Magic has lots of great runs combos!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

mbedle

It appears that Vail owns about 1,100 acres of land over on Spruce, excluding most of the development area and golf course at the base. Interesting that they still own all they way up to the pond and also from Spruce Peak, down to Route 108 in the notch. Their 2000 master plan does call for some additional trails over on Spruce (additional trail east of sterling, extend spruce line and whirlaway almost to the bottom of sensation, a mid mountain life with some new trails over on the smudges trail side down to the top of the sunny lift. On the Mansfield side, they did have in their plan to install 2 new lifts (south of the current triple) and a bunch of new beginner trails.

ceo

Maybe it's been mentioned already, but I always felt Double Bitter was one of the more overlooked great trails at Sugarloaf and certainly has a classic feel to it.
Definitely. Shame they tore up the bottom section for a terrain park.

dblskifanatic

It appears that Vail owns about 1,100 acres of land over on Spruce, excluding most of the development area and golf course at the base. Interesting that they still own all they way up to the pond and also from Spruce Peak, down to Route 108 in the notch. Their 2000 master plan does call for some additional trails over on Spruce (additional trail east of sterling, extend spruce line and whirlaway almost to the bottom of sensation, a mid mountain life with some new trails over on the smudges trail side down to the top of the sunny lift. On the Mansfield side, they did have in their plan to install 2 new lifts (south of the current triple) and a bunch of new beginner trails.

Future classic runs?

kendo

But it would be a good addition. I hit Spruce when it gets super crowded at Mansfield but get bored quickly.

I'm always amazed when I'm asked by others on the fourrunner 'what's skiing good?' I reply 'everything off sensation' and they have no idea where it is.

Agree one can get bored quickly but I've made a lot of 'this will be the last run(s)' in a row over there!

dblskifanatic

I'm always amazed when I'm asked by others on the fourrunner 'what's skiing good?' I reply 'everything off sensation' and they have no idea where it is.

Agree one can get bored quickly but I've made a lot of 'this will be the last run(s)' in a row over there!

Every time we skied Stowe we always started from Spruce usually did a run or two in the upper part of Spruce then take the gondola. On our way back, if there is still time we do a last run there as well.

I can see how one might get bored there but who skis that all day?

I have been on Sensation lots of times but could not have pick it out.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'd be fine with extending Spruce Line. A trail East of Sterling might make for a nice long beginner run. Pretty flat out there. Would not want to see Whirlaway extended or new development skiers right of Smugglers. Skiing in both locations is perfectly fine as is.

jimmywilson69

I've never waited more than 2 chairs at Sensation even on busy weekends. there is lots of good skiing off the top over there... Its where I hide out during busy times

actually on second thought, the skiing is really not that great. I only go over there so my wife can do laps off sunny spruce. I hate it to be honest...

kingslug

Its my go to when it gets really busy..its never crowded and you can get up to a good speed on Sterling. I can use it like Lord..high speed top to bottom runs..good for conditioning. The half run under the Sensation is cool in good snow as well.