• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

Jully

RIP Crossbow, may you rest in peace. Catwalk, Vagabond and Northstar at Killington. Triple Trouble and lower speakeasy at Loon. Castlerock, Middle Earth and Rumble, Tumbler and Lower FIS at SB, Winter's Way, Bubblecuffer and Misery Whip at SL.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

So upsetting about Crossbow... a classic and very accessible NE style trail. A long season for it on Barker. There aren't many trails like it left at SR. Lower Speakeasy at Loon is where I tell my more intermediate friends to go when they ask me what I like about Castlerock/Mittersill. Catwalk has gotta be one of my favorite trails in New England.

Candyland/Idiot's Delight (slash whatever you call the trails in that area) at Cannon are great too.

Also Upper Speakeasy at Ragged.

cdskier

Sugarbush Lincoln Peak - Middle Earth, Castle Rock Run, Rumble, Cotillion
Sugarbush Mt Ellen - Lower FIS, Hammerhead, Semi-Tough
MRG - 90% of the trails.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Boy, where to start?

If it is ONE run, it's got to be East Bowl at Burke for me:

eastbowlpow.jpg

On my last visit, and Burke's last day this year, they groomed it and dropped the ropes on it. It was the ONE trail I came back east wanting to ski. I was so blessed. I will have to post some of my pics.....

Smellytele

Boy, where to start?

If it is ONE run, it's got to be East Bowl at Burke for me:

eastbowlpow.jpg

On my last visit, and Burke's last day this year, they groomed it and dropped the ropes on it. It was the ONE trail I came back east wanting to ski. I was so blessed. I will have to post some of my pics.....

Great run but the runout sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I seem to have no issue cruising through it with little if any walking. Must be the wax! [emoji38]

And the beginning and end deter folks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Yeah, it's a bit of slog back, but if you carry enough speed into the run out, you can keep going with not too much effort as long as the trail is packed down.

I agree, it's a nice deterrent to keep traffic down on both the East Bowl trail and some of the glades that feed into the EB run out

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Agree with others on East Bowl. It was the first to pop in my mind when the thread started and I almost never get to ski there.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

EPB

Goat at Stowe...only been able to hit it from the top a few times..
I should have included this one. I've been to Stowe 5-7 times and have been able to hit it on two occasions top-to-bottom. I definitely feel lucky given this is a common refrain.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

gnardawg

Killington:
NorthStar
Vagabond
Royal Flush
Catwalk
GreatBear

Pico (Even though it sucks and you shouldn't waste your time going):
Summit Glade
KA
Sunset 71
Sidewinder
A Slope

Tonyr

Is Vail opening Goat up less than what's normal historically, or is this just 100% condition based in the 3/4 years of ownership.

Snow doesn't stick well on Upper Goat so it gets scrapped off pretty quickly. Also since that part of the run doesn't open very often a lot of people try skiing it when it is open. Upper Goat was incredibly crowded at the top when I skied it this year over MLK weekend. I was more worried about someone falling into me than I was about skiing the run. I'm sure those issues have something to do with that part of the trail not being open as much.

The middle section of Goat is open a lot, I do find that lower Goat is closed nearly as much as the upper section. I believe that the sun hits directly down on the entrance to lower Goat making it very icy from all of the freeze thaw days so a lot of snow is required to open that part of the run too.

How much difference is there between previous and current ownership opening this run fully I don't know but I can tell you that the days I've been up there over the last 4 years Goat amongst others were worthy of being closed the days the were closed. I've skied by lower Goat a number of times and entrance has been a complete sheet of ice most times I've skied by it, there is no way you'd want to be dropping into that run with those conditions.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sunday River has the Upper Sunday Punch, and recently (Ten years ago) they cut Southpaw which is old school narrow twisty.

Surprise Goat at Stowe has not been listed.

Want to hear something funny? Southpaw is not that old. It was cut in like 2005 or so.

kingslug

The tops of the front 4 get very crowded as soon as they open. Upper Starr is so narrow that they look like they are skiing on top of each other at the entrance.
I did score the first rope drop of lower goat..first time it was open...super deep...

kingslug

And on another note..we are using this time to actualy lose weight..although my wife doesnt need to..i could shed about 10..so im glad were not that into food..although the stuff on this page looks pretty good...

cdskier

And on another note..we are using this time to actualy lose weight..although my wife doesnt need to..i could shed about 10..so im glad were not that into food..although the stuff on this page looks pretty good...

I'm honestly not too sure how I've managed to actually drop a couple pounds since staying home. Maybe I'm eating less for breakfast or lunch than I would when I have either of those 2 meals out.