• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

EPB

Name some of for favorites. I'm talking about anyone with a trail map can ski it type of runs. I plan on posting multiple times because I know I'll miss so many.

Some of my favorites:
Muleskinner - Saddleback
Wildcat- Wildcat
Winter's Way - Sugarloaf
Hardscrabble - Cannon
Fis - Sugarbush North
Paradise & Anything Castlerock - Sugarbush South
Kitzbühel and Green Beret - Jay Peak

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Rowsdower

Any of the old liftline runs. Black Magic and Red Line at Magic. Also Twilight Zone has that real narrow NE style feel. Madonna Lift line which is probably the most difficult in-bounds non-glade trail on the East Coast imo.

2Planker

Any of the old liftline runs. Black Magic and Red Line at Magic. Also Twilight Zone has that real narrow NE style feel. Madonna Lift line which is probably the most difficult in-bounds non-glade trail on the East Coast imo.

Amen to that !
How about Sunday River's Locke Line - Crossbow - Tightwire. All natural, 10'-15' wide, w/ some good drop's and jumps.
Definitely technical, but right under the Locke Tripple, so no better place to show 'em what you got.

Smellytele

Lift lines to me don't say classic New England run to me as they are usually straight. Twisty turny lines make a classic NE run to me. Straight steep bumpy lines can be found anywhere.

With that said:
Upper Cannon, Ravine and Hard Scrabble at Cannon
Lynx at Wildcat.
Jester at Sugarbush
Chin Clip at Stowe

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hardscrabble at Cannon and anything at Castlerock as already mentioned were the first things that came to my mind.

Skimming through my mind of trails people will probably overlook but should be mentioned are Uncle's and Challenger at Mount Snow, Roundabout at Killington, and East Bowl at Burke.

granite

Classic since the 1930's: tram ride to summit of Cannon, ski down Taft Slalom, hike the saddle over to Mittersill and ski down Baron's Run. Skiers have been doing it for almost 100 years. I also like the old World Cup Downhill at Cannon. Catch the 8:15 am first tracks tram and let em rip down the old course.

Antelope top to bottom and Lynx at Mad River.
Paradise at SB
Beaver Pond Glades (or just about any of the Jay peak glades)
Slide of Hans at Magic
Chin Clip (and skiers left glades) at Stowe

.....just to name a few.

I MISS SKIING!!

Dickc

Sunday River has the Upper Sunday Punch, and recently (Ten years ago) they cut Southpaw which is old school narrow twisty.

Surprise Goat at Stowe has not been listed.

skiur

What about Superstar? It's probably one of the most iconic runs in the East.

Thinking outside the box here.

Iconic yes, classic New England, far from it. Old superstar I guess could be considered classic New England but it's awfully short.

Killingtime

What about Superstar? It's probably one of the most iconic runs in the East.

Thinking outside the box here.

Yeah Superstar is great but was thinking more like Cobrass at BV. Got to the bottom and said to myself now this is a cool freaking trail. Same thing with Talisman & Sorcerer at Magic. Next season I'll be at places like this foe the most part. Stayed away from the large resorts this past season and had a blast.

EPB

Hardscrabble at Cannon and anything at Castlerock as already mentioned were the first things that came to my mind.

Skimming through my mind of trails people will probably overlook but should be mentioned are Uncle's and Challenger at Mount Snow, Roundabout at Killington, and East Bowl at Burke.
East Bowl is a great one. Good call.

Black Mountain NH (another place with an east bowl) has several good ones, but taking Maple Slalom off the top and heading skier's right past the midstation is great old school fun, too.

I also think Sterling at Stowe is a great one, too. I usually end up ducking into the little bump run up top and then in and out of the trees while my wife takes her time going down the trail.

Has anyone here been to Big Squaw in Maine before it closed? They used to tout one of their trails as being Sel Hannah's favorite/most scenic he'd ever cut.

Grew up skiing Squaw and the Penobscot as a great trail especially racing friends in a full tuck. Lots of classics at the mountain. Great thread btw and had me thinking about how many have been lost to the widening and smoothing of the trails.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would only consider Superstar Iconic because if its season length. The trail itself I think is just about the most boring you can get. I think of both Superstar and Ovation as examples of some of the worst screw ups in ski area development at any Eastern resort. Oz at SR and Front five at Cannon would be other pods that I find poorly executed. They should have just left old Superstar TTB as it was and worked in 3 - 4 additional trails with some character and flow instead of the two 100 yard wide straight as an arrow trails they put in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Amen to that !
How about Sunday River's Locke Line - Crossbow - Tightwire. All natural, 10'-15' wide, w/ some good drop's and jumps.
Definitely technical, but right under the Locke Tripple, so no better place to show 'em what you got.
RIP Crossbow, may you rest in peace. Catwalk, Vagabond and Northstar at Killington. Triple Trouble and lower speakeasy at Loon. Castlerock, Middle Earth and Rumble, Tumbler and Lower FIS at SB, Winter's Way, Bubblecuffer and Misery Whip at SL.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

I would only consider Superstar Iconic because if its season length. The trail itself I think is just about the most boring you can get. I think of both Superstar and Ovation as examples of some of the worst screw ups in ski area development at any Eastern resort. Oz at SR and Front five at Cannon would be other pods that I find poorly executed. They should have just left old Superstar TTB as it was and worked in 3 - 4 additional trails with some character and flow instead of the two 100 yard wide straight as an arrow trails they put in.

I was thinking screw ups could be a good topic of it's own, too. As much as Les Otten pushed the envelope in some good ways (snowmaking and lifts), he either made, or was around for some bad mistakes. Even at K and SR, Bear Mountain and White Cap weren't handled well.

Breaking Glen Ellen into a three lift ride to the summit was strange. Especially when you consider they moved a high speed quad and built a new fixed one to pull it off. Just buying a new high speed lift would have been more sensible. Good thing his influence there seems limited to the lift layout.

I get that it was cool for a little while to have big boulevards, but White Heat, Bear Mountain, Hunter West and Avenger at Attitash come to mind as some trails that could use a Mulligan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
OL at K is about the only super wide trail in New England I enjoy because of its consistent steep pitch and sun facing exposure. Almost every other wide trail from the Preston / Otten era I could take a pass on.