• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thanks to Hunter

Bandit2941

For their sensible uphill policy. Went last Tuesday and yesterday with my wife and two dogs. There’s still a lot of snow in some spots but it’s melting fast. On Tuesday we skied top to bottom without removing our skis, had about 50’ of grass to ski over at one point. Yesterday we had to take the skis off twice. Both times we hiked up belt parkway and skied down hellgate to belt parkway.

Each time we saw 5 or 6 other people, and three were the same from Tuesday. Much fewer people than the local trail heads where the parking lots have been busy.

90CD4518-73E7-4111-9145-EEC9006D31FF.jpg4B05C83D-E18D-4058-A187-BE2C7A462E94.jpg31388F71-6F75-4044-8573-B221DB98E411.jpg2E5ED910-07D6-4FFA-BFAF-987A13ADBF30.jpg98DAB77C-95F3-45D0-B950-AB9EE0E19E3C.jpg

Slidebrook87

I don’t get it. If people want this to be over as soon as it possibly can be, then you must STAY INSIDE like everyone is being advised to. If people continue to do stuff like this, it will continue to linger on throughout the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

Keeping uphill travel open attracts people who are not local to the area. Even if they are local, it still violates the stay at home order and involves some risk.

icecoast1

Keeping uphill travel open attracts people who are not local to the area. Even if they are local, it still violates the stay at home order and involves some risk.

If they are following social distancing, they are not violating any stay at home order in New York.

Bandit2941

Supposedly Vail wanted them to not allow it but Hunter pushed back. They’re gaining customers in my ski group by doing this. Belleayre has done nothing but piss us off this year and last. Going to spend more time at Hunter next. But I’m also surprised they’re allowing it. Belleayre has employees monitoring the access road and chasing people away. Apparently those employees are essential :thumbdown:

And I also don’t get the people who are upset about this. Cuomo wants us to go out hiking for exercise and there were far fewer people encountered at Hunter as compared to a narrow hiking trail. I talked to a friend who hiked Giant ledge yesterday and said he passed a lot of people on his way down and it made him uncomfortable. And yes I live in the area. So if you think it’s ok to go to a crowded place to hike but not to an empty place to hike and ski that makes no sense to me.

mbedle

Seems odd that Vail is allowing access to Hunter and it also appears that you can access Wildcat (although the parking lot is closed off), but Stowe's uphill is shut down completely. I just checked and it looks like Okemo is still open to uphill access.

EPB

And I also don’t get the people who are upset about this. Cuomo wants us to go out hiking for exercise and there were far fewer people encountered at Hunter as compared to a narrow hiking trail. I talked to a friend who hiked Giant ledge yesterday and said he passed a lot of people on his way down and it made him uncomfortable. And yes I live in the area. So if you think it’s ok to go to a crowded place to hike but not to an empty place to hike and ski that makes no sense to me.

Yeah I agree. I'd have to imagine very few people from greater NYC are going to think it's a good idea to try to make the trek to Hunter now.

But in fairness, Slidebrook got absolutely bludgeoned for suggesting it wasn't a big deal to continue to go skiing at the last few resorts in NH that held out. Given the outrage and verbal abuse thrown his way, I'm not surprised to see him miffed that the outrage mob seems indifferent now.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

Yeah I agree. I'd have to imagine very few people from greater NYC are going to think it's a good idea to try to make the trek to Hunter now.

But in fairness, Slidebrook got absolutely bludgeoned for suggesting it wasn't a big deal to continue to go skiing at the last few resorts in NH that held out. Given the outrage and verbal abuse thrown his way, I'm not surprised to see him miffed that the outrage mob seems indifferent now.

A resort allowing uphill access to locals is not the same as one keeping the lifts open and encouraging people to come in masses from everywhere.

Slidebrook87

True, because at the time, the situation wasn’t what it was now. The fact that even now, when this is a full blown crisis, people still want to travel is ridiculous. If everyone stays home, this will be over much sooner.

icecoast1

True, because at the time, the situation wasn’t what it was now. The fact that even now, when this is a full blown crisis, people still want to travel is ridiculous. If everyone stays home, this will be over much sooner.

Did you miss the part of the (NY) stay at home order that said people can still leave their houses for exercise?

Slidebrook87

Did you miss the part of the (NY) stay at home order that said people can still leave their houses for exercise?

I saw that, but it’s still extremely selfish to travel somewhere, risk spreading the virus to a place with a weak healthcare network, and then driving back. The virus can travel up to 13 feet in the air and the droplets can hang around in the air for up to 4 hours. There’s always going to be a risk of spreading it so the best bet is to stay home. There are plenty of things that are legal, but not good to do.

EPB

Yeah this is definitely different because people are not supposed to come from far away, can easily spread out, and it's 4/13, so it's not like this is front of mind and likely to lead to crowding. If I lived 15 mins down the road, I wouldn't find this a big deal.

SB - you didn't get how bad things were a month ago. It's okay because nobody really knew/knows precisely how bad this really is. You pushed harder than needed, but at least one or two people went WAY too hard on you. That said, this is a different circumstance than driving 2+ hours to ride the lifts at Waterville.