• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Likely to Close 3 State Colleges

VTKilarney

Stanford apparently also snagged COVID19 relief $$$$ for itself.

They announced they're returning it to the Federal government today. Operation Shame is working.

Do you think that Howard University will return their $13 million? Their endowment is about $700 million.

VTKilarney

Trailboss, it’s interesting that you are CONSTANTLY complaining about Vermont’s high tax burden on this forum, but have taken a position that can only increase taxpayer burden. As I said, as painful as it is to see a school closure, my morals don’t shift with the wind.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss, it’s interesting that you are CONSTANTLY complaining about Vermont’s high tax burden on this forum, but have taken a position that can only increase taxpayer burden. As I said, as painful as it is to see a school closure, my morals don’t shift with the wind.

Keep trolling. I am not going to feed your trolling. I have NOT offered any solutions here. Instead, my focus has been on advocating for my community and the LSC community over the last six days by writing the powers-to-be and engaging.

And morals? You sure you want to go there? What have YOU done to help the situation other than come in here and rant and troll folks?

Last edited:

VTKilarney

At least you have stopped inserting pages upon pages of your comments into my mouth. You've just taken my comments out of context completely. You're still trolling and you know we do not allow that here.

Then give me a solution. If you’ve got nothing, just be honest about it. Of the two of us, I’m the only one who has provided a solution for keeping the college open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Then give me a solution. If you’ve got nothing, just be honest about it. Of the two of us, I’m the only one who has provided a solution for keeping the college open.
What part of him not wanting to argue with you do you not understand?

FFS everyday lately you've been trying to find something to argue and debate people over. Don't you get enough of that in the courtroom? Not sure you realize just how annoying you're being.

Give it a rest already

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

I’m not looking for an argument. Quite the opposite. I’m looking for a solution. That’s a rather important component of keeping the college open. So far... crickets...

BenedictGomez

Hmm..I wonder why you guys would pick that university to single out. There must be a reason.

Did you miss the part where in this very same thread we first criticized both Harvard University & Stanford University for taking the exact same COVID19 relief money?

But sure, you go right ahead & do your little self-righteous, low self-esteem boosting, Social Justice Warrior, back-patting thing.

VTKilarney

Hmm..I wonder why you guys would pick that university to single out. There must be a reason.

Ah, yes. The soft bigotry of low expectations. Surely they need the Covid-19 money with a $700 million endowment, eh?

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Princeton joins the shame train, announces tonight it now wont take the Federal COVID19 relief money.

Princeton's endowment is......

((((((checks notes)))))

> $26 BILLION.

BenedictGomez

Related to colleges being screwed going forward, SNHU is offering free tuition for all incoming freshman, and lowering tuition to 10K per year going forward. Will others follow?

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...rn-new-hampshire-university-to-offer-10k.html

This seems like another problem school. They spend over $125M a year "advertising" to get kids, & depending on source their acceptance rate is about 80% to over 90%. One cannot imagine the quality of education is stellar. And the above strategy must be a volume play, and WTH does that say!

VTKilarney

This seems like another problem school. They spend over $125M a year "advertising" to get kids, & depending on source their acceptance rate is about 80% to over 90%. One cannot imagine the quality of education is stellar. And the above strategy must be a volume play, and WTH does that say!

This puts their tuition well below Lyndon’s out of state tuition. When you factor in the free year, a four year degree is about $30,000 at SNHU versus $100,000 at Lyndon. Remind me again how an already broke Lyndon is supposed to compete with this?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Lyndon needs to reassess their finances and get their house in order. I don't feel bad for them, profiteering off student loans.
I'm confused. Lyndon is not profitable and it's typically a combination of the federal government and banks profiting off the loans, not the university.

Smellytele

Now, maybe it is me who is confused. I see colleges as a factory to print money. Guaranteed funds coming in all the time, federally backed student loans, buildings all built with grants to get someone's name on a placard, no long term debt, no property taxes, they set their prices and don't negotiate them down, though they may find a scholarship or grant money somewhere. And all these bright minds can't keep a fiscal checkbook.

Am I assuming anything in error here?

Missing a few things like over paid admin and an over abundance of them. Also not sure of their enrollment numbers. A lot of schools give out "scholarships" that really are just discounts to get more students enrolled. A lot of state schools don't get the money from alum as do the Harvards, Princetons and Howards of the world.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Now, maybe it is me who is confused. I see colleges as a factory to print money. Guaranteed funds coming in all the time, federally backed student loans, buildings all built with grants to get someone's name on a placard, no long term debt, no property taxes, they set their prices and don't negotiate them down, though they may find a scholarship or grant money somewhere. And all these bright minds can't keep a fiscal checkbook.

Am I assuming anything in error here?
I took your statement too literally. Thought you meant the Universities were profiting off the loans as in being the beneficiaries of the loan interest.

VTKilarney

SNHU, at $10,000 per year, is charging right around what their education is worth. If Lyndon is to have any hope of succeeding, they need to also appreciate what an NVU-Lyndon diploma is worth and price accordingly. That will mean some very painful cuts, mostly to administration. So far they have shown a complete unwillingness to do this. Keep in mind that administrative jobs are the goal of most professors. They don't want to see those positions eliminated because they dream about one day landing one of these coveted jobs with not much to do and a fancy title.

Last edited: