• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

Zermatt

This is huge if they can pull it off, especially since I would have thought of CA as being one of the more restrictive states right now.

gregnye

This is huge if they can pull it off, especially since I would have thought of CA as being one of the more restrictive states right now.

Despite the rest of the country hating on California in general, they were pretty smart when it came to this and quarantined earlier so now they can recover faster.

The New England states were late to the game, so now it will drag on further.

Meanwhile if you're in a state ignoring everything like Georgia or Texas, expect the death toll to surpass the highest states 2 weeks from now. Good luck!

Sometimes, restrictions and government intervention make sense. A global pandemic is one of those times.

I am very happy for Mt. Baldy and hope their approach works so that we can try it in New England.

Last edited:

thebigo

What a strange looking place. If I have this correct, Blue and Green skiers download at the end of the day on a 45 year old, 1200 vert, center pole double with lattice towers and foot rests. Has anyone skied there?

VTKilarney

If a ski area is going to reopen, this is the way to do it. It shows that the industry is willing to be responsible.

If this is what skiing will look like next winter, may God have mercy on our souls.

jaytrem

What a strange looking place. If I have this correct, Blue and Green skiers download at the end of the day on a 45 year old, 1200 vert, center pole double with lattice towers and foot rests. Has anyone skied there?

I was supposed to be there last week, rt the week before. Can't remember at this point. Missed out on it about 10 years ago too. Anyway, unless it's a big snow year at the lower elevations, everybody has to download. Same deal with June.

nhskier1969

SAM article: https://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/9553-mt-baldy-in-socal-reopening-with-modified-operating-plan

I like it, advanced reservations only. This is how Killington could open, actually. Put up a roadblock and only let skiers with advanced tickets come through. Also, apply heavy restrictions on tailgating. It could work if state of VT plays along.

I wonder if they can open. I can imagine all those Ikon pass holders who still have a fews days on their pass going to Killington

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 5.12.15 PM.jpg

gladerider

hope it works for them.

don't know how they will handle the yahoos causing problems. there are always yahoos.

cdskier

I just was reading about that. So you have a timeslot for skiing and then you are done?

I'm trying to understand this myself. It seems like you have a time-slot simply to pickup your tickets...and can ski until closing time once you have the tickets. But then they also say season passholders are allowed, but no mention that they need any sort of time-slot or reservation.

skiur

The interesting thing about it is that California is still under a stay at home order, so how can people go skiing? How are the employees considered essential and allowed to work?

Hah, I grew up skiing at Baldy. The fact that they are open in late April (covid-19 or not) is kind of amazing. It was a neat place, probably one of my favorites in the LA area, which isn't saying much. I never got to ski at Mt Waterman.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If Killington were to re-open with one person per chair on Superstar that's roughly 55 people on uphill chairs. When it's bumped up in the spring figure it takes 150% time to go downhill as it does up the hill (roughly 6 minutes up, 9 minutes down). Downhill capacity would then be 82. So about 140 people total capacity. Sell two time slots, 8am-12:30pm and 1pm-5:30. 280 people per day. You could cap the number of daily tickets sold at 50 for each time slot to make it largely season passholders, who are more likely to live close by (although, to be fair, I'm a K passholder in CT).

It sounds crazy in writing but everything that's been written in the past 6 weeks has had things I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

dblskifanatic

Hah, I grew up skiing at Baldy. The fact that they are open in late April (covid-19 or not) is kind of amazing. It was a neat place, probably one of my favorites in the LA area, which isn't saying much. I never got to ski at Mt Waterman.

I skied Mt Baldy and Snow Summit when I lived in S. CA. It was kind of cool driving up high and when back in the valley it was comfortable. This will be interesting for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone