• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I didnt see the video before it was taken down, what were they saying/suggesting?

I watched the Videos my takeaways were . 1 Isolate the vulnerable not society as a whole 2. Test , test ,test. 3. Question,Big business is open why are small businesses closed?

For example in Pa. ( Not Ca.)there is a local company that sell Safes. They can sell to commercial customers but not retail?
Lots of arbitrary decisions going on that make no sense .

deadheadskier

Staff member
I didnt see the video before it was taken down, what were they saying/suggesting?
Misrepresented a bunch of data to basically say Covid is no more deadly than the flu and social distancing had no benefit on slowing the spread. A bunch of other really weird stuff in there to. Said he's from Sweden, then five minutes later said he was from Norway.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

Misrepresented a bunch of data to basically say Covid is no more deadly than the flu and social distancing had no benefit on slowing the spread. A bunch of other really weird stuff in there to. Said he's from Sweden, then five minutes later said he was from Norway.

Can u clean up the posts on Plaaty thread that are off skiing and entered politics again
Its ridiculously that this keeps happening
Thanks

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Scotty ,I don't want anyone to get sick but we need to be able to have conversations about the virus to arrive at a solutions. If people aren't allowed to talk to each other because Youtube bans videos that may or may not be helpful ,our country is in trouble. I don't think health is politics as everyone has a stake in it. Ironically if they had done nothing these guys would not be famous, this is how conspiracy theories start.
Maybe there ideas are incorrect but lets at least talk about it , I don't think it's to much to ask .
No offense intended to anyone ...except Youtube.

nhskier1969

One thing that this entire COVID-19 situation has made quite apparent to me, is that something that so many view as a plus of modern society, and that is in essence that fact that we have a society were immediate gratification in essence is what we expect (from on-demand media to online shopping with next day or even in some cases same day delivery, etc, etc, etc) , in some cases isn't a plus, let a alone an option, and many of us either can't comprehend or accept that.

When so many in society have seemed to have lost the ability to be patient, which then often enables one to make the proper choice after you've had some time to digest the information in front of you, rather than feel like you have to react that second, and chances are that you're instantaneous reaction may prove to not be the correct one, and then additionally not have the ability to acknowledge that ones first reaction may have been incorrect, you've got a big problem in society. That certainly isn't helping out in multiple areas right now.

Once everyone gets back to work, all it's going to do is spread again. There are many more people out there that had or have it but don't even know. I ready a couple of places about Herd Immunity. We pretty much have the entire New England on a lock down. It is going to effect business and the government financially for many many years. Open back up the economy and let nature take its course. Mass has been shelter in place for over a month now and the small business are taking a beating.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Ok maybe a bit hyperbolic but look at the graph in the article . Between Facebook and Youtube filtering the news I'd say 64% is a big deal .

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/ne...ion-to-remove-covid-19-misinformation/576577/

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

icecoast1

Didnt see the video in question. But the comparison to flu death rate came from antibody tests in recent weeks which have indicated many more people have had the virus and been asymptomatic that we dont know about which drastically lowers the death rate. This was obvious all along since we were only testing the worst of cases but now the data is starting to support that.

Seems like a discussion worth having considering we shut our whole country down based on models that predicted 3-4 percent death rates and millions dead

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I watched the Videos my takeaways were . 1 Isolate the vulnerable not society as a whole 2. Test , test ,test. 3. Question,Big business is open why are small businesses closed?

For example in Pa. ( Not Ca.)there is a local company that sell Safes. They can sell to commercial customers but not retail?
Lots of arbitrary decisions going on that make no sense .

That all sounds reasonable to me. Hell, #1 was the idea I said we should go with, prior to the entire nation being locked-down.

Misrepresented a bunch of data to basically say Covid is no more deadly than the flu and social distancing had no benefit on slowing the spread.

On the first point, from a C.F.R. standpoint it is quite possible, if not increasingly likely that perhaps that is in fact true, but if people dont understand the math involved, all they hear is, "coronavirus is less deadly than flu". The second point is clearly false. That said, there have been some interesting analysis lately suggesting lockdowns might not be as effective as previously thought, but "lockdowns" and social distancing should not be conflated. In other words, while social distancing clearly has a benefit, the jury is still out on the necessity of extreme lockdown as a forced form of social distancing.

dblskifanatic

Once everyone gets back to work, all it's going to do is spread again. There are many more people out there that had or have it but don't even know. I ready a couple of places about Herd Immunity. We pretty much have the entire New England on a lock down. It is going to effect business and the government financially for many many years. Open back up the economy and let nature take its course. Mass has been shelter in place for over a month now and the small business are taking a beating.

So there are several pharmacies and now King Sooper (grocery) that are starting to do broader testing but. ..... to qualify for testing you need to show symptoms. What? What about finding those that are asymptomatic!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

icecoast1

So there are several pharmacies and now King Sooper (grocery) that are starting to do broader testing but. ..... to qualify for testing you need to show symptoms. What? What about finding those that are asymptomatic!

They dont have the testing capacity to test literally everybody in town because somebody sneezed and wants to see if they have covid.

dblskifanatic

They dont have the testing capacity to test literally everybody in town because somebody sneezed and wants to see if they have covid.

But if there are asymptotic people around then all the testing in the world will not amount to much since those individuals will be infecting others blindly.

Speaking testing - test over a long period of time means that someone tested yesterday could now have it today. So testing needs to be broad and within a short window which will never happen.

BenedictGomez

But if there are asymptotic people around then all the testing in the world will not amount to much since those individuals will be infecting others blindly.

Which is partially why, testing, testing, testing, is a media-driven lie. Testing is important early on for geographical identification, and it's important during to confirm and/or rule-out illness, but at this point where we're at now it's way overblown.

On the other hand, I would like to see a large geographical 50 state study with randomized testing in an attempt to pinpoint the true asymptomatic case percentage.

Dickc

The only testing I think matters is antibody testing.
We also need to weed out the non accurate tests. Some of these tests are wrong up to 10% which is way too high. What we need to do is ASSUME those with antibodies are immune for some period of time, hopefully long enough for a vaccine to be approved and put into production. Once we have enough immune people, we can return to mostly normal for the working age crowd. Us retired folks will need to isolate or risk getting and dying of it. Not ideal, but I’m afraid that is the deal we will find ourselves having.

Zermatt

Which is partially why, testing, testing, testing, is a media-driven lie. Testing is important early on for geographical identification, and it's important during to confirm and/or rule-out illness, but at this point where we're at now it's way overblown.

On the other hand, I would like to see a large geographical 50 state study with randomized testing in an attempt to pinpoint the true asymptomatic case percentage.

Nobody is picking up on the other way forward as well that does not involve a vaccine.

In less then a month we will likely have multiple clinically proven effective treatments (we could have one in days), that will greatly reduce the number of severe infections and deaths. So people will still get sick. Most will have no symptoms, the next largest group will have mild to moderate symptoms and recover on their own. A very small group will have moderate to severe symptoms and will be treated. An even smaller group will continue to die.

p_levert

If people aren't allowed to talk to each other because Youtube bans videos that may or may not be helpful ,our country is in trouble.

I don't think that's our problem. Our problem is personalization by big tech companies. When you go to youtube and search on a few things, their algorithms are trying to identify your age, sex and political preferences. And if they think you're a MAGA, well, you're going to see a lot of right wing stuff. If you're identified as a Lib, you'll get a whole different set of things presented to you. These companies only care about engagement (their term), meaning that they want you to stay on their site as long as possible. For the most part, they don't give a sh*t about what this does to the social fabric of our nation.

So don't get news from any social media site! It's always manipulated.

mbedle

Ok maybe a bit hyperbolic but look at the graph in the article . Between Facebook and Youtube filtering the news I'd say 64% is a big deal .

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/ne...ion-to-remove-covid-19-misinformation/576577/

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

We've reached an all time low in society if those percents referenced in that article are correct. Who the hell gets their news from Facebook or YouTube??? How the hell do you get news on Facebook? I don't think I have ever seen a news article on Facebook.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
We've reached an all time low in society if those percents referenced in that article are correct. Who the hell gets their news from Facebook or YouTube??? How the hell do you get news on Facebook? I don't think I have ever seen a news article on Facebook.

They don’t produce the news , yes although they do filter it.

The value in Youtube is the guy/girl with a camera cell phone posting what actually happened. Yes there’s usually a bit missing in the beginning but when you see someones words and facial expressions it’s tough sell for “Reporters “ to spin .

BenedictGomez

The value in Youtube is the guy/girl with a camera cell phone posting what actually happened. Yes there’s usually a bit missing in the beginning but when you see someones words and facial expressions it’s tough sell for “Reporters “ to spin .

I think TWTR's better for that. What I value in Youtube is non-famous people who have all sorts of great channels for whatever topics they're expert in, woodworking, teaching music lessons, cooking, firearms knowledge, product reviews, etc... That said, TWTR's recent censorship decisions scare the **** out of me, and now it seems Youtube's jumping on-board that train as well sadly.

icecoast1

I've been using Facebook for weeks as a form of news. Right now its the easiest way to watch Cuomos daily briefings. I was also using it to see the White House briefings as well when I couldn't see them live. YouTube is also pretty handy for following news, etc if you can't see things live, providing they dont decide to censor things