• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

kingslug

I think TWTR's better for that. What I value in Youtube is non-famous people who have all sorts of great channels for whatever topics they're expert in, woodworking, teaching music lessons, cooking, firearms knowledge, product reviews, etc... That said, TWTR's recent censorship decisions scare the **** out of me, and now it seems Youtube's jumping on-board that train as well sadly.

Ive been watching hundreds of youtube vids on..everything. I now feel I can do absolutely everything...with totally nothing.. :)

drjeff

Ive been watching hundreds of youtube vids on..everything. I now feel I can do absolutely everything...with totally nothing.. :)

There's a couple of 50 foot plus tall, 12" plus diameter at the base trees in my yard at home that my wife has decided that it's time for them to go so that some of the new planting beds she's installed over the last few weeks can get more sunlight. I told her that I just wasn't comfortable with taking down trees that big as there are numerous things in our yard (the house, the fence around our pool, the fence around my next door neighbors pool) that the trees could drop on should they not fall in the direction that I would like to happen. She literally told me to just go watch a youtube video on cutting down trees.... That's a hard no from me, and a call to the local tree service guys!! I know what my limits are, regardless of how much free time I have on my hands these days!! :wink::wink::wink:

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Buy a pole chainsaw .

I have one of those multitasker units from Remington (Ryobi & a few others make them too) where you have a gas engine, and different tools attach to it. I have the pole chainsaw, soil tiller, weedwacker, and leaf blower, but there are a bunch of other attachments like edgers & various hedge cutters you can buy for it too. Love it.

icecoast1

There's a couple of 50 foot plus tall, 12" plus diameter at the base trees in my yard at home that my wife has decided that it's time for them to go so that some of the new planting beds she's installed over the last few weeks can get more sunlight. I told her that I just wasn't comfortable with taking down trees that big as there are numerous things in our yard (the house, the fence around our pool, the fence around my next door neighbors pool) that the trees could drop on should they not fall in the direction that I would like to happen. She literally told me to just go watch a youtube video on cutting down trees.... That's a hard no from me, and a call to the local tree service guys!! I know what my limits are, regardless of how much free time I have on my hands these days!! :wink::wink::wink:

Not only that, it can also be deadly if you don't know what you're doing and the tree falls the wrong way and crushes you, or your notch is cut wrong and it kicks back and knocks you uncounscious

Last edited:

slatham

This just came out in storm skiing journal:

"I’ve been involved in the writing of enough press releases to know that more people are involved in drafting and approving them than were in the construction of the Panama Canal. Every word is scrutinized. Which is why this sentence toward the bottom of the press release is so interesting:

“Following the March 20 indefinite extension of operation suspensions at Killington and season closure at Pico, Killington and Pico have taken a number of actions in support of staff, guests and the community, and to help ensure the safety of all.”

In other words, Killington has not yet officially closed. And with the mountain sitting untouched for the past seven weeks, coverage still looks deep, with the glacier still humping off of Superstar and the panoramic Mountain View cam still showing wall-to-wall coverage. Could Killington be angling for a heroic end-of-season cavalry ride?"

machski

Ahh, no. Klington likely worded it as suspended ops more towards their Beast365 members than anything as that is a year round access for all season activities. And EVERYTHING is suspended, not just skiing. No way they ski again this current extended season, but Beast365 passholders wi get summer activities back I am sure at some point and to some extent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

The full text of the e-mail to K passholders that skiur posted in the season pass consideration thread included this line at the very end: "We remain hopeful to be able to ski and ride on Superstar again this spring." You don't really need to waste time trying to interpret what they meant by "indefinite extension of operations suspension" when you have it already clearly spelled out that they still want to re-open. Personally I still say it is not overly likely...

BenedictGomez

Vermont is one of the handful of states taking COVID19 overly conservative to the point they've basically turned it up to 11 from a government restriction standpoint. I would argue Vermont has been as strict or more strict than New Jersey, and unlike Vermont, people are actually dying here, so I dont see how Killington's opening unless Vermont pulls a 180. Even if they did, were I Killington I'd have no bid for losing money at the tail-end of a pandemic just to reopen skiing for literally a few days.

machski

The full text of the e-mail to K passholders that skiur posted in the season pass consideration thread included this line at the very end: "We remain hopeful to be able to ski and ride on Superstar again this spring." You don't really need to waste time trying to interpret what they meant by "indefinite extension of operations suspension" when you have it already clearly spelled out that they still want to re-open. Personally I still say it is not overly likely...
No way in hell they will be able to reopen to ski. Sure, there is plenty of snow on Superstar and for now, probably Bitter/Skyelark and Ovation in the least. But how would they social distance it? They aren't talking the terrain acreage that Mt. Baldy has open, nor the limiting up and downhill access double chair they are using. It would be ugly. What, 50 skiers an hour maybe? perhaps 100 with the terrain I listed above? And how, you'd get an hour then your RFID would void you from the gate for the next hours groupings? Sorry, just don't see it happening.

VT is not going to go totally restriction free on May 15th, I see more like Maine. Maine is stay at home through end of May, a few things can open in May but not restaurants. Then June 1st (date can change) restaurants can reopen along with lodging but out of staters have to complete 14 day Quarantines before lodging or going in public once they enter Maine (so in otherwords, if you intent to go there for a week vacation, don't bother) for the BALANCE OF THE SUMMER! And still no groups of more than 10. If VT goes this way, no way Killington will be able to operate skiing under those type restrictions.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

No way in hell they will be able to reopen to ski. Sure, there is plenty of snow on Superstar and for now, probably Bitter/Skyelark and Ovation in the least. But how would they social distance it? They aren't talking the terrain acreage that Mt. Baldy has open, nor the limiting up and downhill access double chair they are using. It would be ugly. What, 50 skiers an hour maybe? perhaps 100 with the terrain I listed above? And how, you'd get an hour then your RFID would void you from the gate for the next hours groupings? Sorry, just don't see it happening.

I agree. I was surprised that they point blank said they still hope to reopen. Either they're a bit delusional with thinking things would open up enough to even allow it AND that they'd be able to somehow pull it off logistically, or they really know they have no chance of reopening and put that in there purely from a PR perspective to show their passholders "look, we're still trying! We're still the Beast!"

skiur

I agree. I was surprised that they point blank said they still hope to reopen. Either they're a bit delusional with thinking things would open up enough to even allow it AND that they'd be able to somehow pull it off logistically, or they really know they have no chance of reopening and put that in there purely from a PR perspective to show their passholders "look, we're still trying! We're still the Beast!"

Agreed, they know they won't reopen this spring but admitting that publicly is not very beastly!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm still not convinced with certainty Killington is done. I acknowledge that the likely scenario is they stay closed.

Here in CT the governor announced May 20 re-opening of retail and the outdoor seating areas of restaurants and bars. A chairlift is an outdoor seating area, and it's moving...:dontknow:

Smellytele

I'm still not convinced with certainty Killington is done. I acknowledge that the likely scenario is they stay closed.

Here in CT the governor announced May 20 re-opening of retail and the outdoor seating areas of restaurants and bars. A chairlift is an outdoor seating area, and it's moving...:dontknow:

Lift line.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

Not only that, it can also be deadly if you don't know what you're doing and the tree falls the wrong way and crushes you, or your notch is cut wrong and it kicks back and knocks you uncounscious
I've dropped some pretty big trees many moons ago..and yes one fell the wrong way and landed in my neighbors yard ( we made sure no one was there..small yard we had back then) so yes its one hell of a dangerous thing to do. I would never do it now. One of my neighbors trees landed in our driveway, ripped the power lines off the house and my wife would have been there 10 minutes before. Trees in our area are killers.
My youtube vids now consist of woodworking..I resurrected my old hobby.

Hawk

I've dropped some pretty big trees many moons ago..and yes one fell the wrong way and landed in my neighbors yard ( we made sure no one was there..small yard we had back then) so yes its one hell of a dangerous thing to do. I would never do it now. One of my neighbors trees landed in our driveway, ripped the power lines off the house and my wife would have been there 10 minutes before. Trees in our area are killers.
My youtube vids now consist of woodworking..I resurrected my old hobby.
I work in construction for a very large company. Lifts are a daily thing on most of my jobs. When you rent lifts there are many costs. Rental, delivery, pickup, environmental costs and in some cases general liability. I have friends that have done this in residential settings for basically what you guys are talking about. Tree's, House painting, roof and chimney repair, etc. In the long run it makes way more sense and ends not that much more to have the professionals do the work. If anything goes wrong, it's their insurance not yours, you don't put your life or anybody else in danger and if they mess up, they fix it. Tree companies are fast, safe, get rid of all the debris and fix your landscaping if it gets inpacted. You can get competitive bids and work the number. Why do it yourself? End of tangent off of the skiing thread.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My best friend leases space in a hotel for his restaurant in VT. He can't open because the hotel is closed. Basically all hotels in VT are closed save for a handful that are servicing necessary first responder and healthcare workers. The latest he heard from the hotel is June 1st is the targeted date to allow regular travel to resume to VT hotels.

My thought is if VT is unwilling to allow hotels to open for normal business until 6/1 and that is an activity that easily allows for social distancing, there's no chance they allow activities such as skiing which will promote large gatherings of people. I don't see the typical spring skiing crowd "behaving" at K and not having group tailgate parties.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app