• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

deadheadskier

Staff member
yes and no. Agree on capacity, disagree on equipment.

All the major manufacturers of devices needed for treating a disease like Covid such as ventilators and critical care monitors, release their products in Europe before the US. Often 2-3 years prior in fact. If I want to know what's in the pipeline of my competitors, I check their UK or German websites.

It's also worth noting that European docs are ahead of US docs in ventilation expertise. The most cutting edge advances and treatments for at least ten years have been developed overseas. Pretty much all Anesthesia chiefs at Harvard affiliated hospitals have said as much to me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A few things not mentioned that was brought up in the videos is the increase in domestic violence, suicide and deaths occurring due to fears of not going to the ER . I personally know of a suicide due to economics. I’m not sure how all these things will be at all factored in to the final toll.

p_levert

A few things not mentioned that was brought up in the videos is the increase in domestic violence, suicide and deaths occurring due to fears of not going to the ER . I personally know of a suicide due to economics. I’m not sure how all these things will be at all factored in to the final toll.

Hard to work these things out, but it would certainly be worthwhile to look at increases in suicide rates. You also can't discount the fact that many of the people succumbing to CV have very limited life expectancies anyway. But, holy sh*t, you also can't ignore the shocking 1 in 1000 death rate we have attained in NY and NJ (per unit of population, not a ratio of infected people). Government is supposed to be in the business of saving lives.

dblskifanatic

Hard to work these things out, but it would certainly be worthwhile to look at increases in suicide rates. You also can't discount the fact that many of the people succumbing to CV have very limited life expectancies anyway. But, holy sh*t, you also can't ignore the shocking 1 in 1000 death rate we have attained in NY and NJ (per unit of population, not a ratio of infected people). Government is supposed to be in the business of saving lives.

You state the death rate:

You have to wonder - how is this going to impact tourism in NY? Even places like Las Vegas, San Francisco or other large tourist destinations. I for one do not have interest in this places but I bet more joins that rank.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zermatt

What's the fatality rate when you take out everyone over 80? What % of the population do 80+ year olds makes?

Raises hand...in CT 3% of the population is over 80 yet they make up 56% of all CV deaths (includes hospice and nursing home patients that were literally on their death bed already).

BenedictGomez

yes and no. Agree on capacity, disagree on equipment.

All the major manufacturers of devices needed for treating a disease like Covid such as ventilators and critical care monitors, release their products in Europe before the US. Often 2-3 years prior in fact. If I want to know what's in the pipeline of my competitors, I check their UK or German websites.

This is because the EMEA is more lax than the FDA, has been for decades. In similar vein, drugs hit the market first in Japan well before America. That said, that's not what I'm talking about. The fact you've "approved" a device for use 2 or 3 years prior to use in America isn't very helpful if your nationalized penny-pinching healthcare system blocks you from buying the number of said devices your healthcare experts think you really should have.

BenedictGomez

Hard to work these things out, but it would certainly be worthwhile to look at increases in suicide rates. You also can't discount the fact that many of the people succumbing to CV have very limited life expectancies anyway.

If a study that came out yesterday is to believed that is not true, pegging the average years lost at 10. Not saying that's right, just noting some disagree.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

A Nobel Prize winner for statistics in Chemistry is out today saying COVID19 doesn't behave in steady logarithmic fashion & never did, and that "Social Distancing" is not as effective as various governments are telling us.

His analysis shows it spreads exponentially until apex is reached, then it slows regardless of a given nation's countermeasures, from weak responses like Sweden, to arrest someone leaving their house like China. Furthermore he thinks COVID19 will peter-out relatively soon.

Anyway, that's all good & fine, maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but what I'm REALLY interested in is, will Youtube remove his commentary from Youtube?

He's a well-known Noble Prize winning Biology & Chemistry statistician who teaches at Stanford's med school, which is elite, but what he's saying is way, way, way, way, more "against" what World Health Organization is saying than what those 2 previously unknown California docs were saying. Will Youtube censor HIM too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-sZdfLcEk&feature=emb_logo

icecoast1

But, holy sh*t, you also can't ignore the shocking 1 in 1000 death rate we have attained in NY and NJ (per unit of population, not a ratio of infected people). Government is supposed to be in the business of saving lives.

That's no surprise given the population density. New York City and a few downstate NY counties should have been selectively isolated from the beginning rather than allowing everybody to go about their lives and then shutting the whole state down.

nhskier1969

"Colorado Governor Says Ski Areas Could Be Open for Memorial Day"
Now, If we can we can get the Governor of Vermont to start easing restrictions and get K to be open Memorial Day weekend.
BTW The dummest, most idiotic Closure by New England Governors( except RI) is closing Golf Courses. You can't get better social distance than that. The Governor of Mass is a moron. He allows the Esplanade to stay open and the Charles river path that EVERYONE" and the mother uses. So I guess the esplanade and the Path is better social distancing than Golf Course. He is an F**kin idiot.

1dog

Have to agree, Gov 'Parker' ( Biden called him that), here , we call him Tall Deval - same as the old boss.

Have aquestion though 0 what am I missing. Today CDC numbers are a little more than half of media numbers of 65000

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

Then there's Project Veritas. . . . . doing the work some just won't believe.

p_levert

IHME model goes from 72K to 134K: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/04/cdc-daily-deaths-coronavirus-234377

Chris Murray says the numbers went up because people are not social-distancing. I say this is a fig leaf, his model has always been based on bad assumptions. The predicted rapid decay in deaths never matched what was going on in Europe.

It sure looks like deaths will end up over 100k, as I said way back when in a deleted thread. Anyone want the under?

icecoast1

IHME model goes from 72K to 134K: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/04/cdc-daily-deaths-coronavirus-234377

Chris Murray says the numbers went up because people are not social-distancing. I say this is a fig leaf, his model has always been based on bad assumptions. The predicted rapid decay in deaths never matched what was going on in Europe.

It sure looks like deaths will end up over 100k, as I said way back when in a deleted thread. Anyone want the under?

The numbers are increasing due to the change in guidelines for reporting Covid deaths, not due to a lack of social distancing

steve22

Have to agree, Gov 'Parker' ( Biden called him that), here , we call him Tall Deval - same as the old boss.

Have aquestion though 0 what am I missing. Today CDC numbers are a little more than half of media numbers of 65000

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

Then there's Project Veritas. . . . . doing the work some just won't believe.

Your CDC link shows what they call provisional data. These deaths are confirmed by death cert.
If you go to the CDC daily updates page they list a number that includes confirmed and probable cases/deaths.
This is the larger number being reported.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html[/FONT]

BenedictGomez

The numbers are increasing due to the change in guidelines for reporting Covid deaths, not due to a lack of social distancing

That IHME model is an absolute trainwreck. Their total deaths figure has jumped up then down, then up, then down, now they literally nearly DOUBLED their death estimate with today's update. It's embarrassing, and I cant imagine those in charge are using it anymore.

That said, I do think there's something to be said for the counting becoming impossible with some states like State of New York adding roughly 4,000 COVID19 deaths in one-day from people not even tested for COVID19. This is very problematic in terms of data accuracy. So too is counting someone who died of a heart attack or a stroke, or from kidney failure as a COVID19 death when upon autopsy it's discovered they had the virus. There is no doubt we are over-counting COVID19 deaths in America. Possibly significantly.

https://gothamist.com/news/death-co...uspected-covid-deaths-addition-confirmed-ones

Hawk

Time for new legislation. Open all these things that are so important to you and sign a waiver that says if you get sick you stay at home and take your chances there. You can infect the ones you love and keep the levels declining for all the courageous first responders and medical personnel that are overworked and stressed. That is fair enough. I am all for that any day. Lets do this now.