• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

Smellytele

I wear a mask when out in public to run errands or shop, but only to avoid the damning stares of the coronavirus lockdown police. Those people are everywhere it seems.

I draw the line on wearing a mask doing things like going fishing, hiking, skiing, etc.

I think we are at the point where those who are at risk need to isolate while everyone else gets back to a "normal" life.

I agree but with skiing it isn't the skiing it is the waiting in line part and riding on lifts with strangers.

icecoast1

I think we are at the point where those who are at risk need to isolate while everyone else gets back to a "normal" life.

The action that should have happened from the beginning rather than the gross overreaction we've been living through

Hawk

Of course you two are right. Your always fucking right about everything. Why do we even bother listing to anybody else. My gawd.

Hawk

Interesting conversation I had with a long time career Marine friend of mine. He is now retiring but served for years as one of the commanders down at Paris Island. He told me that all armed forces got a memo that they are not to enlist anybody that has tested positive for corona. So what do they know that we don't? I just find that interesting.

cdskier

Of course you two are right. Your always fucking right about everything. Why do we even bother listing to anybody else. My gawd.

Yup. There's no point in arguing with the AZ panel of world class experts in this thread on epidemiology, virology, and immunology.

Seriously though...I'm still curious how you would isolate just the "at risk" people as some here have suggested. If someone ran the numbers, you'd probably have over half the US considered "at risk" (the US isn't exactly the epitome of great health). Obesity alone which is considered one of the risk factors for hospitalization with COVID accounts for over 40% of the adult US population. And it isn't just the "at risk" people that would need to isolate...it is anyone they live with as well in theory.

My brother had a "mild" case and said just walking up and down the stairs in his house felt like he had run a marathon.

BenedictGomez

I'd love to easily prove your dopey comment wrong, but the AZ Illuminati saw fit to needlessly delete the thread in which I wrote it.

JimG.

Staff member
Interesting conversation I had with a long time career Marine friend of mine. He is now retiring but served for years as one of the commanders down at Paris Island. He told me that all armed forces got a memo that they are not to enlist anybody that has tested positive for corona. So what do they know that we don't? I just find that interesting.

Seems like a logical policy...why would the armed forces want people who tested positive for coronavirus in the close quarters of the military? That would be a good way to incapacitate large numbers of soldiers.

JimG.

Staff member
Yup. There's no point in arguing with the AZ panel of world class experts in this thread on epidemiology, virology, and immunology.

Seriously though...I'm still curious how you would isolate just the "at risk" people as some here have suggested. If someone ran the numbers, you'd probably have over half the US considered "at risk" (the US isn't exactly the epitome of great health). Obesity alone which is considered one of the risk factors for hospitalization with COVID accounts for over 40% of the adult US population. And it isn't just the "at risk" people that would need to isolate...it is anyone they live with as well in theory.

My brother had a "mild" case and said just walking up and down the stairs in his house felt like he had run a marathon.

I call it personal choice and responsibility.

Are you telling me that most at risk individuals have no idea they are at risk?

Zermatt

I'm not obese, nobody in my family is either. Start having real conversations about how being obese is not okay.

dblskifanatic

My son enlisted a year ago as a delayed enlistment and he is scheduled to go on June 1st. Be interesting what hey do! He thought they may delay but they said no delays!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd love to easily prove your dopey comment wrong, but the AZ Illuminati saw fit to needlessly delete the thread in which I wrote it.
Doubling down! lol

His point flew right over your head.

Let me spell it out for you. If the active members of this forum threw a buck into a pot each time over the years you have said, "I was right" we could probably fully fund an AZ summit at the Northeast mountain of your choice.

Not sure why you work so hard to try and prove how often you are "right" and just how smart you are. Nobody cares.

If it makes you feel better, yes I do remember you saying that. Good job buddy!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I call it personal choice and responsibility.

Are you telling me that most at risk individuals have no idea they are at risk?

No. That's not at all what I'm saying. It is irrelevant whether they know. The problem is I don't see a realistic and practical way for those people to simply isolate themselves from the rest of society. There are far too many of them. It isn't like they all live together in a bubble somewhere. They're co-mingled with everyone else. What about a perfectly healthy middle-aged person that cares for an elderly parent (who would automatically be in a high risk category due to age)? In order for that older person to isolate, the person that cares for them needs to isolate as well. Or what if you have a wife, husband, or child with diabetes? Or asthma? Or hypertension? You could have a family of 5 where only 1 person has a high risk factor, but to properly isolate that 1 person, everyone in the family needs to isolate. It isn't like you can simply ship that 1 risk factor person off to Isolationville so the rest of the family can carry on "normally". There's simply too much cross-over between risk factor groups.

And now of course all those people with high risk factors come from a wide variety of jobs...so there would be a rather significant impact to workforce availability anyway. What's the solution there?

JimG.

Staff member
No. That's not at all what I'm saying. It is irrelevant whether they know. The problem is I don't see a realistic and practical way for those people to simply isolate themselves from the rest of society. There are far too many of them. It isn't like they all live together in a bubble somewhere. They're co-mingled with everyone else. What about a perfectly healthy middle-aged person that cares for an elderly parent (who would automatically be in a high risk category due to age)? In order for that older person to isolate, the person that cares for them needs to isolate as well. Or what if you have a wife, husband, or child with diabetes? Or asthma? Or hypertension? You could have a family of 5 where only 1 person has a high risk factor, but to properly isolate that 1 person, everyone in the family needs to isolate. It isn't like you can simply ship that 1 risk factor person off to Isolationville so the rest of the family can carry on "normally". There's simply too much cross-over between risk factor groups.

And now of course all those people with high risk factors come from a wide variety of jobs...so there would be a rather significant impact to workforce availability anyway. What's the solution there?

It's a virus...there is no solution that means positive outcomes for everyone. There has never been a pandemic that did not inflict widespread suffering. It sucks.

Trying to reconcile all the inputs you justifiably mentioned there just made my head hurt.

ScottySkis

+100
That's part reasons for me to not come on AZ to much

cdskier

It's a virus...there is no solution that means positive outcomes for everyone. There has never been a pandemic that did not inflict widespread suffering. It sucks.

Trying to reconcile all the inputs you justifiably mentioned there just made my head hurt.

Exactly...

A few pages back someone made a claim that the "isolate high risk factor group" solution would have resulted in this entire thing being a "non-news story". I'm not going to say that the decisions that were made were necessarily all right. Quite honestly I don't think we have anywhere near enough data to truly know what the "right" response would have been. And I do think there may be parts of the country that over-reacted (although I don't generally include the northeast in this as the entire area is far too close to the original major hotspots in the NYC/NJ area). However I will say that my response to the "isolate only high risk groups" solution is twofold:
1) It isn't anywhere near as simple as people make it sound.
2) It still wouldn't have allowed life for everyone else to carry on anywhere close to "normal" as some people pretend it would have.

JimG.

Staff member
I guess my point is that the "solution" we are currently living with is not going to be sustainable.

Hawk

So I guess my perspective is different. I am sure those of you who feel you were unjustly cooped up have a different perspective because you do not know or seen much of the virus. This is where I come from so you understand why I cringe every time you guys say this is all bull shit. The fact is I know know 14 people that have come down with the virus. Not all close personal friends but people I have actually met at least once. 2 nurses, 7 older people, 1 EMT and 3 guys and 1 girl that are between 40 and 50. All are in my circles in the eastern part of MA. Of those people 5 have passed away. 3 were older between 60 and 80 but 2 were not. One was a nurse that was 45 years old and one was a guy that was 50. Both were avid outdoors people in extremely good health The guy was someone I mountain biked with and he was very strong. I say if those people can die then there is a chance I can die. That is enough to give me pause when doing anything outside my house. I find myself not trusting anybody. Not even my family. So the death rate in my little world is 35%. I am going to stay the fuck away from everybody for the foreseeable future. You can do what you want.