• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

deadheadskier

Staff member
"Unlike governments elsewhere, Japan's leaders have no legal power to enforce a lockdown. While local governors can call on businesses to stay closed and suggest people stay at home, there are no punishments if they choose not to do so. Despite this, mobility data has shown a striking drop in public movement."

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

"Unlike governments elsewhere, Japan's leaders have no legal power to enforce a lockdown. While local governors can call on businesses to stay closed and suggest people stay at home, there are no punishments if they choose not to do so. Despite this, mobility data has shown a striking drop in public movement."

A compelling argument against the nanny state.

slatham

The Japanese are smart (and they've seen this movie more than the US). Give them the facts about a contagious disease that can cause death? Conclusion: let's just stay home for a bit. Who said "Walk away and live to fight another day?" (too lazy to look up but you get my point).

Rowsdower

Looking at Japan and suggesting their experience and response with this pandemic is predicated on a lack of nanny state policies is probably the worst read on east Asian cultures and their govts I've ever seen. I'm sorry, I just think this is such a flawed perception of how people over there behave.

VTKilarney

Looking at Japan and suggesting their experience and response with this pandemic is predicated on a lack of nanny state policies is probably the worst read on east Asian cultures and their govts I've ever seen. I'm sorry, I just think this is such a flawed perception of how people over there behave.

My point is that people behaved rationally without the government telling them how to behave. Shocker, I know.

Rowsdower

My point is that people behaved rationally without the government telling them how to behave. Shocker, I know.

See this is what I mean. The government told everyone what to do and they did it without the need for further enforcement or more drastic measures. It's because not despite the government suggesting something. You're dealing with a culture where there is a very strong collective mindset and a very high trust placed in authority.

You really cannot compare east Asian cultural behavior to a western "nanny state" concept because they have a much different relationship with authority and following rules than we do here in the west.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
As I said in another thread, Snowbird is not reopening for skiing this season. Too much pent up demand to make it safe and manageable.

I guess the silver lining in this going forward ski areas might forced to deal with lift line crowd control. Spacing and line cutting, hopefully I won’t have oblivious people standing on my ski tails .

Lodges will be a tough one , when things get busy there seems to be a clammy humid feel . Maybe they will have staff limit the crowd size like some stores are doing. Strange new world...

Lots more people on the road this past week.

BenedictGomez

The only actual evidence I could find that they are faking their numbers is a report from a Russian film crew. They filmed several fresh graves and claimed that the death toll is worse than the government is reporting. I could only count six fresh looking grave. The town has a population of 15,000. "Fresh" could mean a couple of weeks or a couple of days. It was hard to tell from the video.

Without seeing the video I'd note it could be Russian propaganda in an attempt to destabilize Belarus' government. It's not exactly a secret Putin has it on his reconstitute the Soviet Union list.

nhskier1969

I guess the silver lining in this going forward ski areas might forced to deal with lift line crowd control. Spacing and line cutting, hopefully I won’t have oblivious people standing on my ski tails .

Lodges will be a tough one , when things get busy there seems to be a clammy humid feel . Maybe they will have staff limit the crowd size like some stores are doing. Strange new world...

Lots more people on the road this past week.

I don't think we should worry about that. Look, Japans ski resorts have lines too. I am sure their lodges are crowded as well. We just need to take page out of Japans book to deal with a virus. Depending on the virus in Japan, I am sure they have different level advisors for social distancing and masks in public.
Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.26.49 PM.jpg

BenedictGomez

You really cannot compare east Asian cultural behavior to a western "nanny state" concept because they have a much different relationship with authority and following rules than we do here in the west.

I think that's likely true. That said, if you're one to believe that the way we in the west are fighting COVID19 is the "correct" way, then Japan did dang near everything "incorrectly", save mask wearing. Pretty much everyone in Japan, China, and South Korea wore masks from the jump. It seems to me to be the #1 most likely Occam's Razor success factor globally thus far.

Which is a good time for another screw Fauci reminder.

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask"- Dr. Anthony Fauci, March 8, 2020.

Rowsdower

I think that's likely true. That said, if you're one to believe that the way we in the west are fighting COVID19 is the "correct" way, then Japan did dang near everything "incorrectly", save mask wearing. Pretty much everyone in Japan, China, and South Korea wore masks from the jump. It seems to me to be the #1 most likely Occam's Razor success factor globally thus far.

Which is a good time for another screw Fauci reminder.

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask"- Dr. Anthony Fauci, March 8, 2020.

They have a mask culture for sure. But its not the only thing. They also tested much more extensively at the earliest phases of the virus' spread. This helped tremendously. Similarly in Taiwan and SK (and Vietnam if you don't think their numbers are propaganda), early testing was crucial in preventing uncontrolled community spread as has happened here.

snoseek

I'm back at work for a second week now. I'm actually working a second job helping a former coworker as nobody wants to work because of that sweet sweet mass funemployment.

Still we are in an impossible position in foodservice right now. I'm a banquet chef normally and obviously my season is fucked. I'm now an overpaid saute station guy and I'm lucky as fuck I'm at a club with monthly minimums.

Restaurants are fucked moving forward. It's the good little places run with passion that we lose not the chains. Any workers getting that fat unemployment check better bank it because quality of life is gonna get weird for awhile.

I feel like every week this goes on makes it harder to come back. I hope it gets better soon. Be safe and think snow.

BenedictGomez

I'm actually working a second job helping a former coworker as nobody wants to work because of that sweet sweet mass funemployment.

Note to self:

Purchase S&P500 call option expiry for the 1st BLS jobs report post moronic government "unemployment incentive" cessation.

EDIT:

I'm already running into potential problems with this idea as apparently the Democrats want to keep that super high unemployment pay going pretty much forever. But if they lose in that bid I'm all over this SPX call option idea.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shahar...y-until-coronavirus-crisis-ends/#147a8529137d

Rowsdower

Note to self:

Purchase S&P500 call option expiry for the 1st BLS jobs report post moronic government "unemployment incentive" cessation.

EDIT:

I'm already running into potential problems with this idea as apparently the Democrats want to keep that super high unemployment pay going pretty much forever. But if they lose in that bid I'm all over this SPX call option idea.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shahar...y-until-coronavirus-crisis-ends/#147a8529137d

Add tax cuts and it will get passed.

Printer goes brrrrrrrrr.

The debt is all in your mind.

Domeskier

They have a mask culture for sure. But its not the only thing. They also tested much more extensively at the earliest phases of the virus' spread. This helped tremendously. Similarly in Taiwan and SK (and Vietnam if you don't think their numbers are propaganda), early testing was crucial in preventing uncontrolled community spread as has happened here.

They also implemented mandatory quarantine and cell phone tracking of positive cases. I'm sure that would go over great with the "privacy" fetishists here on both sides of the political spectrum.

icecoast1

They also implemented mandatory quarantine and cell phone tracking of positive cases. I'm sure that would go over great with the "privacy" fetishists here on both sides of the political spectrum.

Like it or not our cell phones are already being tracked, just look at any of the numerous reports that came out on how certain areas were doing on social distancing. Just admit it and get it over with and allow people to start returning to normal

Hawk

Looks like I am back to full time work on Monday. The growing consensus is that Charlie Baker will send back all construction workers on Monday. We had an all hands covid office procedures training today in preparation. Not sure if I have to go in right away. I hope not. Some might be interested in the company policies being implemented. So they told us:
- try very hard to not do public transportation or car pool.
- Mask on from car all the way to your desk and back to your car.
- Social distance! All the time as much as as you can.
- Try not to touch any surface. Wear gloves. Bring a stick or something to press elevator buttons.
- No Mask at desk but put one on if traveling around office.
- Desks assignments have been rearranged so that we are not sitting close to each other.
- No eating in pantry or public spaces together. Eat at desk.
- If possible bring lunch, water, soda anything you consume.
- Travel paths in office have been made so that there are all one way. My floor is 100,000 sf with a decent amount of open space so that is easily done.
- No in person meeting for now with groups. One on One or a couple people can be done with masks. but try not to do this.

All doable. I am not happy to go in but we will see what happens. I may not have to go in for a while. As a PM I cen run most of it from home right now.

EPB

Looks like I am back to full time work on Monday. The growing consensus is that Charlie Baker will send back all construction workers on Monday. We had an all hands covid office procedures training today in preparation. Not sure if I have to go in right away. I hope not. Some might be interested in the company policies being implemented. So they told us:
- try very hard to not do public transportation or car pool.
- Mask on from car all the way to your desk and back to your car.
- Social distance! All the time as much as as you can.
- Try not to touch any surface. Wear gloves. Bring a stick or something to press elevator buttons.
- No Mask at desk but put one on if traveling around office.
- Desks assignments have been rearranged so that we are not sitting close to each other.
- No eating in pantry or public spaces together. Eat at desk.
- If possible bring lunch, water, soda anything you consume.
- Travel paths in office have been made so that there are all one way. My floor is 100,000 sf with a decent amount of open space so that is easily done.
- No in person meeting for now with groups. One on One or a couple people can be done with masks. but try not to do this.

All doable. I am not happy to go in but we will see what happens. I may not have to go in for a while. As a PM I cen run most of it from home right now.

Good luck - what type of work are you in, generally speaking?