• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

BenedictGomez

Can we use our elevator button sticks to swat away coworkers who invade our personal space?

Another BG prediction:

Voice activated elevator installation becomes standard, and the elevator button stick industrial complex goes bankrupt.

What Hudson Yards real estate goes for, yeah, that place will never fill now.

I think that's the place where the Jets were going to build a stadium so they wouldnt be the New Jersey Jets. Forget the saga's conclusion, but I imagine it was too expensive.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Meanwhile, up in Vermont where COVID19 isn't even a problem, with a grand total of ONE PERSON currently in ICU, the governor just extended the state of emergency another MONTH, park reservations were auto-cancelled through June 25th, and there's still a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place, effectively killing all tourism.

Freaking insanity, it's now stricter up there than in NEW JERSEY!

But VT doesn’t have NJ’s hospital capacity

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

But VT doesn’t have NJ’s hospital capacity

True; Vermont doesn't.

But at a current ratio of 1 in 623,500 residents in COVID19 ICU, I think Vermont's doing just fine.

In NJ we're at a ratio of 1 in 5,832 residents in COVID19 ICU.

But Vermont's laws are even stricter than ours. Because........something.....

Last edited:

Smellytele

True; Vermont doesn't.

But at a current ratio of 1 in 623,500 residents in COVID19 ICU, I think Vermont's doing just fine.

In NJ we're at a ratio of 1 in 5,832 residents in COVID19 ICU.

But Vermont's laws are even stricter than ours. Because........something.....

... they don’t want to become NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
... they don’t want to become NJ

They won't.

The curve has been flattened and that's what this shutdown was designed to do. Yes, there is potential for spikes, but I can tell you for certain that those managing the largest Health system in VT want things to get back as close to normal as possible quickly. They certainly aren't asking the state to keep the brakes on. I sold a substantial piece of business there 6 months ago and they've come back to me in the past two weeks to try and renegotiate the terms of the deal because of their financial distress.

Hospitals in hard hit areas feel the same way. In Boston I work with one of the hardest hit hospitals by this virus in the country. I have had a few meetings with one of the Medical Directors of the ICU recently including yesterday. These meetings typically start with a review of how they're doing with Covid. Yesterday they said they're feeling some relief and on the downward trend. It was the first time he spoke without serious worry. We talked about the country opening up and how worried they were about that. He basically said he's a doctor and not looking forward to the continued deaths the virus will bring and anticipates a lot of them. But, he doesn't feel health systems will be overwhelmed. He was pretty pragmatic in that it's the nastiest widespread accute disease he's ever seen that will cause continued great suffering for awhile until there's a vaccine, but we are just going to have to let it run its course from here as painful as that might be for many people.

I was all for the shutdowns the first month until we had a true handle on what we were dealing with. It's easy to play Monday morning QB and say perhaps we overreacted and should have only isolated the vulnerable. But, we could face another one of these things someday that's even worse where everyone is vulnerable. So, I don't feel in the future we should be more lax in our initial national response to a pandemic. Gather data as quick as you can and let it drive the policy. Maybe that's where we will be better next time having learned from this episode that is now causing such great economic consequences.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

nhskier1969

Gotta love CNN. They like to create more bad news so they get more impressions online to increase ad dollars.
Anyway, they showed States who had increases or decrease over the past week. One of the states they referenced was Maine. As you can see in the map below, Maine is up a whopping 34% over last week. Total cases increased by 1.

Great Headline CNN.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 10.01.43 AM.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gotta love CNN. They like to create more bad news so they get more impressions online to increase ad dollars.

Newsflash about mainstream and really all news sources; they ALL do this. Appeals to emotion is great for business.

Your outrage here with CNN is selective based upon your personal bias.

Lead story on Fox News at this very moment:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/as-u-s-coronavirus-death-toll-mounts-so-does-the-belief-it-is-exaggerated

They're doing the same thing in the opposite direction

BenedictGomez

They won't.

The curve has been flattened and that's what this shutdown was designed to do. Yes, there is potential for spikes, but I can tell you for certain that those managing the largest Health system in VT want things to get back as close to normal as possible quickly. They certainly aren't asking the state to keep the brakes on.

Vermont got even "less worse" than the little mathematical projection I made for you. I dont think they ever hit even 20 simultaneous ICU patients.

drjeff

I fully get the big picture, long range view VT is taking with their extension right now, including the 14 day quarrantine if you travel into the state now

Next weekend is Memorial day Weekend. If VT can limit travel into the state next weekend, which in their eyes will likely greatly reduce the chances of a potential spike in cases in the coming weeks, then that gives the state a better chance at opening back up for the Summer season in a larger way

Is this overkill? Depends on how one views things and their personal feelings on risk.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

https://www.foxnews.com/us/as-u-s-coronavirus-death-toll-mounts-so-does-the-belief-it-is-exaggerated

What's wrong with it?

It provided multiple ways COVID19 deaths are perhaps both being under-reported & over-reported as well as pointed out some that are debunked as opposed to plausible. That's a subject I'm interested in, and I think that article did perhaps the best job I've seen in terms of cobbling together the various ways of potential under & overreporting that are currently hypothesized.

Pretty dang near 100% sure you didnt bother reading the article you linked.

nhskier1969

I am from out state, I still would like to see the Governor allow Killington to open for one more weekend. Use the same rules that apply for golf course but go a step further. Killington could open up for Memorial day weekend to Vermont residence who have a season ticket from Killington. No Ikon. Again, this affects me because I am from out of state and Ikon pass holder. The Governor should do this just to give the people of Vermont a better hope for the future. I would recommend any Vermont residence skier should call the Governors office until he listens, also fill up the Governors facebook account until he listens to the citizens of Vermont. Christ Vermont people voted for him he needs to listen to the people not the other way around.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What's wrong with it?

It provided multiple ways COVID19 deaths are perhaps both being under-reported & over-reported as well as pointed out some that are debunked as opposed to plausible. That's a subject I'm interested in, and I think that article did perhaps the best job I've seen in terms of cobbling together the various ways of potential under & overreporting that are currently hypothesized.

Pretty dang near 100% sure you didnt bother reading the article you linked.
I'm 100% dang sure you are wrong. I did read it. Did you? lol

There's some good information to ponder and there's some downright biased generalizations.

If you can't tell that from the headline to much of the inner contents of the article that the goal is an appeal to the emotions of people who are angry and feel that Covid is overblown, to make them further question and doubt the honesty of the medical community; then you're quite foolish.

Exact opposite of what CNN was trying to do in making Covid seem worse than it actually is.

Both articles were written to support confirmation bias in their target audience.

Puck it

Newsflash about mainstream and really all news sources; they ALL do this. Appeals to emotion is great for business.

Your outrage here with CNN is selective based upon your personal bias.

Not trolling, sorry. I can not watch one sided reporting anymore. I raise you one. Bet this is happening all over. If the person had underlying conditions, then covid can not be the cause of death per CDC rules. The person could have caught the flu and died just as likely or even pneumonia.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-lowers-coronavirus-death-count

I raise you one. I bet this occurring in a lot of places and much higher since the age of death is so high. CDC rules says that COVID can not the primary cause of death if there are underlying conditions as the flu could cause the death too.

[h=1]Colorado amends coronavirus death count - says fewer have died of COVID-19 than previously reported[/h]

BenedictGomez

I'm 100% dang sure you are wrong. I did read it. Did you? lol

There's some good information to ponder and there's some downright biased generalizations.

If you can't tell that from the headline to much of the inner contents of the article that the goal is an appeal to the emotions of people who are angry and feel that Covid is overblown, to make them further question and doubt the honesty of the medical community; then you're quite foolish.

Exact opposite of what CNN was trying to do in making Covid seem worse than it actually is.

Both articles were written to support confirmation bias in their target audience.

The article literally presented instances of how undercounting & overcounting could occur. Literally. Why even bother providing all the ways undercounting could be occurring if it's basically propaganda as you're suggesting. And it's nothing like the CNN example you're falsely equivocating it with, which was genuinely mathematically absurd as was pointed out.

BenedictGomez

If someone dies from something like a heart attack or kidney failure, or any of 100 other non-related things, and the postmortem blood sampling detects COVID19, they absolutely should not be counted as a COVID19 death. I'm all for those adjustments down being made.

I'm also against counting COVID19 deaths just because a doctor "suspects" it as opposed to verifying it with a simple lab test. New York State added thousands to the tally in that manner. I imagine some were & I imagine some weren't. But dont guess as in almost all instances you do more harm to your date set than good.

Puck it

This is the guy that I have been following. He has a lot of interviews on YouTube.

Recent studies conducted by Stanford University Professor of Medicine Dr Jayanta Bhattacharya have concluded “the coronavirus is less deadly than experts realised”. Studies across a range of counties in the United States found “roughly about three to four percent of the population in these counties show evidence of antibodies to COVID-19," Dr Bhattacharya told Sky News host Andrew Bolt. “What that means is roughly 50 times more people have had the disease than we have realised based on case counts alone”. Dr Bhattacharya said COVID-19 was “likely to have a fatality rate of 1-2 in 1000 rather than 30 in 1000 which is what the World Health Organisation originally said”. However, he said despite the higher than expected evidence of antibodies in the population, the United States was not close to achieving herd immunity “which would require a very substantial fraction of the population to be infected”.