• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

deadheadskier

Staff member
The article literally presented instances of how undercounting & overcounting could occur. Literally. Why even bother providing all the ways undercounting could be occurring if it's basically propaganda as you're suggesting. And it's nothing like the CNN example you're falsely equivocating it with, which was genuinely mathematically absurd as was pointed out.
You're missing the point entirely. Your extreme bias pretty much renders you unable to look at things objectively and independently.

Again both articles were written to support confirmation bias in their target audience. There's some useful information in both, there's some gross generalizations in both. That's what both CNN and Fox News does with virtually all of their programming. If you're liberal, you'll tend to see Fox as more guilty of this. If you're conservative you'll see CNN as more guilty. If you're independent, you'll see the BS from both.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

The issue with this has been the “facts and science” has changed since the beginning of all of this multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
And often a second part to this statement is that as things have changed (often due to either more data or a better understanding) rarely is there a retraction or amending of the initial statement if it indeed wasn't accurate.

We're becoming a society where admitting one may of been wrong about something initially, seems like it's the worst thing they could do.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

The issue with this has been the “facts and science” has changed since the beginning of all of this multiple times.

Nobody believed that cloth masks were a bad idea. That was all about trying to control supply and demand.

machski

I am from out state, I still would like to see the Governor allow Killington to open for one more weekend. Use the same rules that apply for golf course but go a step further. Killington could open up for Memorial day weekend to Vermont residence who have a season ticket from Killington. No Ikon. Again, this affects me because I am from out of state and Ikon pass holder. The Governor should do this just to give the people of Vermont a better hope for the future. I would recommend any Vermont residence skier should call the Governors office until he listens, also fill up the Governors facebook account until he listens to the citizens of Vermont. Christ Vermont people voted for him he needs to listen to the people not the other way around.
If Killington did reopen, it would be ugly. Snowbird (also a Powdr resort) has elected to not reopen as they feared too much pent up demand would flood the ski area and LCC. Mt. Bachelor, ironically also a Powdr resort, has re-opened for season passholders only (this year they are not tied into Ikon) and by reservation only. Limit is 500 skiers a day on two lifts (Sunrise and Summit) giving access to quite a bit of terrain, way more than Killington could hope to offer. Given Killington would have 1 lift and maybe 3 TTB routes if lucky, what would they do, 50-100 skiers/day? No way they re-open under those type of restrictions, too many passholders would be shut out and pissed. So it really doesn't matter what the government does in my mind, the logistics are totally unworkable.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, this has been stated on this forum multiple times. It just seems so obvious that it’s a dumb idea and I don’t get the obsession with opening K this season.

Maybe a lottery for tickets like they do for hunting licenses ,limit sales, some accommodations for pass holders day? It would be a good dry run for fall with predictions of more cases .

I think the obsession has to do with the glacier on the web cam and the woods still having snow ,June seems to be a given this year .

cdskier

Yeah, this has been stated on this forum multiple times. It just seems so obvious that it’s a dumb idea and I don’t get the obsession with opening K this season.

I agree. Why bother? I really don't see much of a point. What's the value for K to do this? If they have to limit it to VT passholders only, you'll just piss off the rest of the passholders. Then they'll start complaining that they should get a bigger credit than the people who were able to go for a "last weekend." They may not even be able to contractually exclude the Ikon passholders. I also have a hard time believing K wouldn't be overrun even if they put limits and rules in place with all the pent up demand.

drjeff

I agree. Why bother? I really don't see much of a point. What's the value for K to do this? If they have to limit it to VT passholders only, you'll just piss off the rest of the passholders. Then they'll start complaining that they should get a bigger credit than the people who were able to go for a "last weekend." They may not even be able to contractually exclude the Ikon passholders. I also have a hard time believing K wouldn't be overrun even if they put limits and rules in place with all the pent up demand.
Let's also not forget that if they tried to limit things, even after the VT residency issue would be dealt with hypothetically, and you keep it to passholders, would it just be the Killington specific passes or would IKON passholders, if they still have days left on their IKON'S, be in the mix as well?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

It aint over until K's glacier cats are moved back over to the shop! :daffy:

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts this year with the lack of skiing/grooming and the cooler spring so far. I wouldn't be shocked to still see snow well into June

sull1102

Congrats to Waterville Valley baby!!! Last to close in the East 2020

JDMRoma

Congrats to Waterville Valley baby!!! Last to close in the East 2020

Cannon, BrettonWoods and Waterville all closed on the same day. March 18th

Last edited:

machski

Yeah he sure wasn't quick to shut down and I was calling it out. Since then his overall response to all this has been reasonably cautious. Does he actually own it or a family member.
The family company owns Waterville, not Chris himself. He was the GM after the family bought it but gave that up when he got the Governorship. He has no direct personal ties to Waterville now. During his time on the executive council, he did recuse himself of any votes when state run Cannon or the Sunapee lease came up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Pretty much everyone in Japan, China, and South Korea wore masks from the jump. It seems to me to be the #1 most likely Occam's Razor success factor globally thus far.
Which is a good time for another screw Fauci reminder.
"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask"- Dr. Anthony Fauci, March 8, 2020.

Chock another one up for common sense empirical observation > CDC wonks.

This was posted on the CDC website this afternoon noting the virus does not spread easily other than P2P.

The virus does not spread easily in other ways
COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads. It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads. From touching surfaces or objects. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.

No fear of getting takeout anymore due to contaminated containers & packaging. Guess I'll be getting a pizza tomorrow night. Also no reason to continue wiping down groceries or laundering clothes when you get home. I'm surprised Chlorox's stock didnt drop much.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html