• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

icecoast1

Last Friday when I was last out in public, I noticed more people out-and-about versus 13 days prior, which was the last time I'd been in public at that time. Today walking on my back road I noticed more cars than at any time in the last 6 weeks of quarantine. Totally speculative as are your comments above, but it makes me wonder if people are starting to break.

I've seen similar things as well. The weather is starting to get nice and people are sick of being inside

chuckstah

I didn't notice much, if any increased car traffic today, but there was a giant shitload of motorcycles out. I think I passed more bikes than cars in rural NH. That, and people walking on the streets everywhere. And bicycles. People are out of their dens for sure. The food store was, however, empty.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

dblskifanatic

I did mention this in another thread. We were out and about our selves - went and did a short hike, got food and drove around and traffic was back to feeling normal. We drove by a Target and the lot was pretty full, our grocery store limits the number of people and there was a line along the building. Where we went hiking, two weeks ago there were maybe ten cars and to day the lower lot was full and another dozen in the upper lot. The trails were not crowded and we stepped aside for one family. The open field parks ha people playing frisbee, tossing the ball with their dogs, family picnics etc. totally different ball game today vs two weeks ago. Heck we reserved a tee time for Sunday and had to book it four days ago and got the last tee of time. People are tired of it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

I didn't notice much, if any increased car traffic today, but there was a giant shitload of motorcycles out. I think I passed more bikes than cars in rural NH. That, and people walking on the streets everywhere. And bicycles. People are out of their dens for sure. The food store was, however, empty.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Agree a shitload of motorcycles today in NH

BenedictGomez

While that's technically true, it is highly likely that there is an immune response via memory T-cells. I feel like they're needlessly giving the general public the worst case scenario at virtually every turn of this pandemic & scaring people, or at least paralyzing them with negative speculative uncertainty.

I think it's logical to start with SARS-Cov for a guesstimate on COVID19 immunity duration, and that we know is about 3 years, which is actually pretty bad. There are many viruses which post-infection produce an antigen response > the life of a human being. That said, I consider this a non-issue, because I'm confident: A) There will be a duration of immunity B) There will be a vaccine much sooner than immune duration.

So this is timely.

This morning the WHO tweeted out, "There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection".

About 5 hours ago they deleted that tweet, and then replaced it with, "We expect that most people who are infected with COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection."

I cannot stress enough how completely disparate those two tweets are. That organization is a dumpster fire, and I'll leave it to the reader to construct a logical reason for the above 2 tweets, mere hours apart. Just keep in mind, these people are literally medical experts.

Zermatt

So this is timely.

This morning the WHO tweeted out, "There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection".

About 5 hours ago they deleted that tweet, and then replaced it with, "We expect that most people who are infected with COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection."

I cannot stress enough how completely disparate those two tweets are. That organization is a dumpster fire, and I'll leave it to the reader to construct a logical reason for the above 2 tweets, mere hours apart. Just keep in mind, these people are literally medical experts.

Of course I saw the first headline all over the news yesterday, will the second make rounds as well?

Add that to the greatest hits from the WHO...including "no evidence of human to human transmission" and "we do not recommend masks for individuals."

Of course you will have some level of protection....how else did you beat the virus in the first place?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
So this is timely.

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/ne...ion-to-remove-covid-19-misinformation/576577/

So by Youtubes own policy there going to remove the WHO ?

slatham

So this is timely.

The FACT is those two statements are true - there is no EVIDENCE (yet) that anitibodies protect from further infection. It is also true that epidemiologist EXPECT people who had the virus will have antibodies that protect them from a 2nd infection for period of time.

BUT it is beyond poor communication, actually irresponsible, for them to tweet one, then take it down, and tweet the other. How about one, comprehensive tweet "While is not evidence yet, we expect......" I mean its the World Health Organization, not some (nameless) political hack!

Your average snow reporter could have done better!

1dog

Try finding real numbers for this- its almost impossible.

The comorbidity and the sometimes false counts are abundant - some state -forgot where - just reduced by 200 a one day count of deaths because there were other factors the docs admitted were the cause.

Of course it is serious, but I'm still looking at Sweden and the USC and Standford studies that state there is or could be 55-85 X the actual infection rates in LA and Santa Clara County. A good thing.

Media nowhere that I've seen has talked about the over abundance of hospitals that were closed ( Javits closed yet?) or the Comfort or other one that were not needed? We are going to hear that it was better to over-prepare than under prepare - a convenient out for those who espouse lockdowns at any cost.

I wish Trump wold just shut up but keep making the decisions on WHO, on opening, on pretty much most of the subjects he is tackling with the administration.

But hey, thats never going to change and sometimes I think he uses his jibberish as a distraction while real stuff happens in background. That is how he won a lot of victories in last 3+years.

Paying this debt - along with all the other debt is probably the worst of problems long term. Printing money rarely works, if ever.

And using this reason to bail out states with out-of-control legacy costs is a massive ruse to cover up their fiscal irresponsibilties.

I'm just hoping to get to some backcountry skiing before its all gone.

p_levert

The FACT is those two statements are true - there is no EVIDENCE (yet) that anitibodies protect from further infection. It is also true that epidemiologist EXPECT people who had the virus will have antibodies that protect them from a 2nd infection for period of time.

BUT it is beyond poor communication, actually irresponsible, for them to tweet one, then take it down, and tweet the other. How about one, comprehensive tweet "While is not evidence yet, we expect......" I mean its the World Health Organization, not some (nameless) political hack!

Man, couldn't agree more. FYI, here's the WHO corrective tweet:

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1254160937805926405

To WHO's credit, they are acknowledging that input from others caused them to change the tweet. On the other hand, CNN was making a big deal about the "no proof" tweet yesterday. Yet I don't see any mention on their website about the correction, which is very lame.

dblskifanatic

Try finding real numbers for this- its almost impossible.

The comorbidity and the sometimes false counts are abundant - some state -forgot where - just reduced by 200 a one day count of deaths because there were other factors the docs admitted were the cause.

Of course it is serious, but I'm still looking at Sweden and the USC and Standford studies that state there is or could be 55-85 X the actual infection rates in LA and Santa Clara County. A good thing.

Media nowhere that I've seen has talked about the over abundance of hospitals that were closed ( Javits closed yet?) or the Comfort or other one that were not needed? We are going to hear that it was better to over-prepare than under prepare - a convenient out for those who espouse lockdowns at any cost.

I wish Trump wold just shut up but keep making the decisions on WHO, on opening, on pretty much most of the subjects he is tackling with the administration.

But hey, thats never going to change and sometimes I think he uses his jibberish as a distraction while real stuff happens in background. That is how he won a lot of victories in last 3+years.

Paying this debt - along with all the other debt is probably the worst of problems long term. Printing money rarely works, if ever.

And using this reason to bail out states with out-of-control legacy costs is a massive ruse to cover up their fiscal irresponsibilties.

I'm just hoping to get to some backcountry skiing before its all gone.

Reading this makes me furious - not because of your points, but I just feel like every large educational institution, health organization and government health services around the world are all throwing darts. I am sure there is science being applied and statistical theory as well but the information is all over the map! Some numbers are to low, some are too high because they counted other deaths that are unrelated, Colorado had 29 deaths that were duplicates so the count went backwards and others.

I also read that Southern California beaches will open with strict provisions. No laying on the beach and you must wear a face mask. The whole face mask this is out of control. I get having them on in stores or at work places even. But I see people driving with them on. We hiked yesterday and no one was even within 50 feet from each other besides families yet people had face masks on. I see people jogging or walking with face masks I think people think the air is saturated with it.

In other news a convict was released from jail because of Covid and got reconvicted on rape charges. Releasing criminals is a great idea. Yes I know these are probably offenders that are in for short jail terms but .....

This whole mess is absurd and I get why people are protesting and getting impatient!

BenedictGomez

My post in this thread yesterday was literally more comprehensive & accurate than the World Health Organization's tweet.

BenedictGomez

CNN was making a big deal about the "no proof" tweet yesterday. Yet I don't see any mention on their website about the correction, which is very lame.

How positively shocking (sarcasm).

Among others, WHO thanked Nate Silver (fivethirtyeight.com):

Nate Silver's not really helping either. Smart guy, a wiz with data, but it's been obvious at several points during this pandemic that he has absolutely no healthcare knowledge. Just yesterday he tweeted about how COVID19 one-day deaths reached an all-time high in America, simply because he wasn't aware that DGX had a reporting problem & lumped myriad unreported deaths spread out the previous 12 days into yesterday's tally.

1dog

Reading this makes me furious - not because of your points, but I just feel like every large educational institution, health organization and government health services around the world are all throwing darts. I am sure there is science being applied and statistical theory as well but the information is all over the map! Some numbers are to low, some are too high because they counted other deaths that are unrelated, Colorado had 29 deaths that were duplicates so the count went backwards and others.

I also read that Southern California beaches will open with strict provisions. No laying on the beach and you must wear a face mask. The whole face mask this is out of control. I get having them on in stores or at work places even. But I see people driving with them on. We hiked yesterday and no one was even within 50 feet from each other besides families yet people had face masks on. I see people jogging or walking with face masks I think people think the air is saturated with it.

In other news a convict was released from jail because of Covid and got reconvicted on rape charges. Releasing criminals is a great idea. Yes I know these are probably offenders that are in for short jail terms but .....

This whole mess is absurd and I get why people are protesting and getting impatient!

Try this on for size - some on here have reiterated the theme - but this is from the front lines - a- political and to me, a complete novice on the subject, makes eminent sense.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/04/a-report-from-the-front-lines.php

drjeff

One thing that this entire COVID-19 situation has made quite apparent to me, is that something that so many view as a plus of modern society, and that is in essence that fact that we have a society were immediate gratification in essence is what we expect (from on-demand media to online shopping with next day or even in some cases same day delivery, etc, etc, etc) , in some cases isn't a plus, let a alone an option, and many of us either can't comprehend or accept that.

When so many in society have seemed to have lost the ability to be patient, which then often enables one to make the proper choice after you've had some time to digest the information in front of you, rather than feel like you have to react that second, and chances are that you're instantaneous reaction may prove to not be the correct one, and then additionally not have the ability to acknowledge that ones first reaction may have been incorrect, you've got a big problem in society. That certainly isn't helping out in multiple areas right now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Try this on for size - some on here have reiterated the theme - but this is from the front lines - a- political and to me, a complete novice on the subject, makes eminent sense.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/04/a-report-from-the-front-lines.php
Doesn't make eminent sense to the American College of Emergency Physicians. They strongly condemn the statements of these doctors. Nevermind that one of the doctors lied about the position of the county department of health.

My guess on these two Docs in a Box is that their Urgent Care business has taken a financial hit, their commentary is mostly self serving and they figure their MD titles will result in people trusting them. They shouldn't

https://www.acep.org/corona/COVID-1...zqaOQfUCbZHwp0ZfaJhbR_3buq_rhZIu1yIjdFy0FFGfM

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member