• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

thebigo

I was supposed to be there last week, rt the week before. Can't remember at this point. Missed out on it about 10 years ago too. Anyway, unless it's a big snow year at the lower elevations, everybody has to download. Same deal with June.

What is the download capacity on that double? Trying to think of a fixed grip I have downloaded, all I can come up with is Locke at 10%.

heiusa

I lived in Southern California for 10 years. I’ve skied Baldy many times I’ve also skied Kratka Ridge, Mount Waterman and all the areas up in big bear. Baldy is head and shoulders above anything in Southern California, it’s better than anything in Vermont. They have some great tree skiing. The only problem with Baldy is that it needs a lot of natural snow to open.

It was strange leaving my house in shorts, because its 70/80 degrees outside and then getting to baldy and putting on my ski clothing real fast in the parking lot.

I lived in Southern California for 10 years. I’ve skied Baldy many times I’ve also skied Kratka Ridge, Mount Waterman and all the areas up in big bear. Baldy is head and shoulders above anything in Southern California, it’s better than anything in Vermont. They have some great tree skiing. The only problem with Baldy is that it needs a lot of natural snow to open.

It was strange leaving my house in shorts, because its 70/80 degrees outside and then getting to baldy and putting on my ski clothing real fast in the parking lot.

yup...i went to whittier...always amazing riding in turnbull canyon and seeing all that snow right up there...looked like you could reach out and touch it. on the 3-4 really clear days after the rainy season, we could see out to catalina.

Riverveteran

What about people from those areas with second homes at Killington?

So people don’t travel from one area to another and back. If killington opened then people from mass, ct, ny, nh and etc would be traveling to and from Vt which wouldn’t be good at first.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

The interesting thing about it is that California is still under a stay at home order, so how can people go skiing? How are the employees considered essential and allowed to work?

CA made some exceptions, and one of them covered golf courses. Mt Baldy used that as analogous to skiing as long as the same protocols were followed. I think it's up to the local/regional/State authorities to overrule.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm trying to understand this myself. It seems like you have a time-slot simply to pickup your tickets...and can ski until closing time once you have the tickets. But then they also say season passholders are allowed, but no mention that they need any sort of time-slot or reservation.

And now those season passholders have a big advantage.

I can see a "stay in your state to ski" mandate for this coming season which I would not be happy about. Better to know now than in October. Might have to save on that K/Ikon pass for this season who knows what after that.

machski

So, the Mt. Baldy thing won't work IMO at many resorts. It would only work at areas with a single point of entry and no slopeside lodging of any type. Wildcat comes to mind as one where this concept might work in NE. Whiteface, Waterville, Mt. Abrahm, both Blacks, Sugarbush North may as well. Beyond those, don't think many would work for this model.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

And now those season passholders have a big advantage.

I can see a "stay in your state to ski" mandate for this coming season which I would not be happy about. Better to know now than in October. Might have to save on that K/Ikon pass for this season who knows what after that.

Look at what happened with the states turning people away at the borders with the stay at home orders. It stopped pretty quickly when states started threatening to sue each other. I doubt we'll see a ski in your own state mandate.

slatham

You should be staying in whatever home you were staying in before the stay at home order was issued.

This is the correct sentiment right now. But by definition when ski areas get the green light, the situation will be very different. Ski areas will have to develop their plans and protocols assuming non-locals will be showing up.

And the "ski in your state" idea is a non starter. As we saw with states trying to (briefly) limit entry by people from other states, short of a Federal order of Marshall Law, it is unenforceable.

Last edited:

Smellytele

This is the correct sentiment right now. But by definition when ski areas get the green light, the situation will be very different. Ski areas will have to develop their plans and protocols assuming non-locals will be showing up.

And the "ski in your state" idea is a non starter. As we saw with states trying to (briefly) limit entry by people from other states, short of a Federal order of Marshall Law, it is unenforceable.

No but VT has electric signs at the border saying if you are coming to the state to stay you need to shelter in place for 2 weeks...

2Planker

No but VT has electric signs at the border saying if you are coming to the state to stay you need to shelter in place for 2 weeks...

So do MA, RI and CT. I'm a HC worker and have to cross RI/MA border in a very rural area. Usually there's a local town cop stopping all cars entering either state w/ out of state plates. I've been going thru for 6 weeks now, so they just wave me thru....