• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

p_levert

Thanks Dr J.

And, of course, you just refuted the statement "surgical masks only serve to protect other people, not yourself". I never really believed that.

Cornhead

Maybe I'll open a business selling personalized face masks. Who knows, maybe I can sell fashion versions to the rich and famous.

I'd like a box of masks with big red puckered up lips on them.
Made from our shop towels at work. I've since shortened the design and stapled a pleat in the bottom along with adding a wire to the top. I was hoping my safety glasses wouldn't fog up after adding the wire, but they still do. I now wear the glasses on my head and drop them down over my eyes if doing something that warrants eye protection.IMG_20200420_124516219.jpgIMG_20200420_145528809.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

nhskier1969

While skiing, I simply can’t wear a mask without fogging up to the point where it’s dangerous. I’d want to drop it when I head downhill and put it back up the rest of the time.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
+1

drjeff

Thanks Dr J.

And, of course, you just refuted the statement "surgical masks only serve to protect other people, not yourself". I never really believed that.
It actually does work both ways in specific instances. Generally speaking the mask prevents the user from getting what's in the air around them.

Also, if say the wearer sneezes, well then it prevents those around the wearer from getting exposed to what's in the air after they sneeze.

The majority of the time it is for the wearers protection...

And as an FYI, if one does sneeze inside of their mask, trust me when I say that you don't want to take it off infront of someone and also have a tissue or wet towel handy to wipe your face with!!! Trust me, been there, done that many times!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

nhskier1969

Maybe I'll open a business selling personalized face masks. Who knows, maybe I can sell fashion versions to the rich and famous.

I'd like a box of masks with big red puckered up lips on them.

I watch Shark Tank a lot lately. One of the episodes three years ago, had a guy making customized face mask. Non of the Sharks wanted to invest in his company. They thought it was too limited of a market to make money.

BenedictGomez

Additionally on the N95 front, having now worn 1 for the last couple of months if and when I have to go into my office for an emergency patient, the airflow through them is reduced for sure over a regular ASTM level 3 mask. To the point where I wouldn't want to be wearing while while doing an aerobic activity

I have an N100 mask for home hobby tools like a jibsaw, miter saw, circular saw etc., and I havent worn it out of the house during this state mandated face covering thing. I wear a poly turtle fur for spring skiing instead.

I watch Shark Tank a lot lately. One of the episodes three years ago, had a guy making customized face mask. Non of the Sharks wanted to invest in his company. They thought it was too limited of a market to make money.

I'd say the Sharks were correct.

nhskier1969

Good article about Sweden. During this pandemic that have gone on pretty much business as usual. Bars are open, schools are open ski resorts are open etc..
There death rate is higher than there neighbors but I would have to guess their neighbors and the US will see an increase of deaths as they open up the country. But was this really worth shutting down the economy. There will be thousands of business going under. You will go to a restaurant you will pay triple what you normally pay because they are only seating a 3rd of the customers. Sweden is using(and I mentioned it several pages ago) herd immunity. The only difference between Sweden and their Neighbors, Sweeden is months ahead of all the other countries for stopping and slowing down this virus. because they are spreading it out to the entire country now.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/834746370/swedens-controversial-decision-not-to-lock-down-the-country

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sweden's response is certainly worth discussing.

I think the statement that restaurants will charge triple is overly simplistic and way off base. Landlords will need to adjust their expectations of what their tenants can reasonably be expected to pay or be faced with high vacancies. The entire supply chain from farmers to beverage producers to distribution will also have to adjust their cost structures depending on adjusted sales volume.

The price of a $6 pint of beer will for sure go up, but it won't be $18.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

tumbler

I think some of it is revisionist history. Flattening the curve worked. The economy would be shut down no matter what in my opinion. Either by the steps that were taken or by so many people getting sick that businesses would be closing because many people are sick, no one wants to leave their home and general chaos. I think if the US was reactive instead of proactive (relatively) things would be much different for the worse right now.

kingslug

Ever been to Sweden..not a very population dense country. If we did what they did in our major cities..things would be very different now.
And don't worry..traffic getting to NYC is back..so things are slowly returning to ...new normal?

nhskier1969

Please watch the video. The lady talks about Coronavirus. I thought at first she was a crackpot Then you listen to her more and more, I really believe what she is saying. I didn't know the US has been giving sizable funding to the lab in Wuhan China. Also the Wuhan Lab had been working with a lab North Carolina for the past couple of years .
Anyway the video is 25 minutes long. Also this video keeps on getting taken down, so if you can't watch it, I sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbInoGkEUrQ&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

skiur

Ever been to Sweden..not a very population dense country. If we did what they did in our major cities..things would be very different now.
And don't worry..traffic getting to NYC is back..so things are slowly returning to ...new normal?

Ummm, traffic in NYC is no where near normal. You can drive the bqe at 8 am without traffic.

Dickc

Sweden's response is certainly worth discussing.

I think the statement that restaurants will charge triple is overly simplistic and way off base. Landlords will need to adjust their expectations of what their tenants can reasonably be expected to pay or be faced with high vacancies. The entire supply chain from farmers to beverage producers to distribution will also have to adjust their cost structures depending on adjusted sales volume.

The price of a $6 pint of beer will for sure go up, but it won't be $18.

As you have food and beverage experience, what is the normal markup, pre Covid, on food and beverage, and what do you think it might have to go to so it supports a place that can only operate at 1/3 capacity. (Just a WAG will work fine) I imagine that there will be less support staff to pay, but some overhead exists whether the places has customers in it or not.

The difference in markup will probably be the cost increase in general for food and beverage. I have no idea how that business works, so I am interested in what you can tell me.

kingslug

Ummm, traffic in NYC is no where near normal. You can drive the bqe at 8 am without traffic.

I never commuted to the city by car. So I'm just gauging it by last month when no one was on the road. Now FDR South is pretty backed up and other areas. But I'll be leaving my house around 5AM so theres not much at that point yet. Hopefully parking rates don't go up. I use Parkwiz and Spothero Apps.. 15 bucks a day.
I do not want to get on trains anymore.

kingslug

I was in the restaurant business for a while..you make money on booze..much more than food. Something like 900% markup.
In college the teacher said it first..you don't sell booze..your gone. Unless your place is structured to not sell it.

cdskier

Please watch the video. The lady talks about Coronavirus. I thought at first she was a crackpot Then you listen to her more and more, I really believe what she is saying. I didn't know the US has been giving sizable funding to the lab in Wuhan China. Also the Wuhan Lab had been working with a lab North Carolina for the past couple of years .
Anyway the video is 25 minutes long. Also this video keeps on getting taken down, so if you can't watch it, I sorry.

:roll:

Oh good, another conspiracy theorist video filled with half truths and a lot of non-sense that sucks people in. Can I have my 25 minutes back?

The US gives sizable funding to MANY labs around the world. Nothing unusual about the Wuhan lab also receiving some funding. And the claim in the video that they received $3.7M is flat out wrong. That was the overall grant amount, but it went to numerous places (including some in the US, Australia, and Singapore).

“We don’t need a vaccine,” proclaimed Dr. Judy Mikovits, a controversial former chronic fatigue researcher who now frequently makes anti-vaccine claims, in an April 15 YouTube video with more than 80,000 views. “All you have to do is have a healthy immune system.” (Mikovits has also been involved in the “Fire Fauci” campaign, claiming he sabotaged her research into a purported mouse virus that she says is the true cause of cancer.)

But yea...she sounds like another reliable source.

https://bigthink.com/coronavirus/the-plandemic?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

deadheadskier

Staff member

no offense but.....FB_IMG_1588864182271.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
I was in the restaurant business for a while..you make money on booze..much more than food. Something like 900% markup.
In college the teacher said it first..you don't sell booze..your gone. Unless your place is structured to not sell it.

Booze a big profit center for restaurants along with dessert and coffee.