• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

YouTube?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
From another thread... Goal is to stay Apolitical.
“The general topic of censorship by a "private" company is fascinating (especially when it pertains to a company that is essentially a near-monopoly in a particular area and used widely by the general public). Should it be Youtube's responsibility to decide what information is shared on a topic like this? If people rely on youtube for news (scary in and of itself), then perhaps it does need to police this to a degree. For something like this particular case, I'd much prefer that Youtube simply flag the video with some sort of warning that the "advice in this video contradicts current global COVID-19 guidelines" or something like that.

I could see this topic having been a perfect one to be discussed in my "Ethics in IT" class back in college nearly 20 years ago. It would have been a fun discussion.”

CD’s Quote above.

YouTube has served as a fact checking tool , There’s a certain teenager who was savaged by the major news media for something they got horribly wrong , purposely? He was literally threatened by news casters. After a youtube post showing him innocent he’s now a millionaire.

YouTube is pushing major news co.’s over small content creators who pretty much built the platform. Simply posting a header
“ Controversial subject” would be plenty. Censorship is going to destroy the venue. It may take time to build competition but that’s what will happen.

But I guess in the end money talks.

prsboogie

Can you supply a link to your example. I would like to research it before commenting on it, on YouTube of course! Seriously I do not know this story. Ty

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Edd

Absolutely love YouTube. The usefulness and amount of content is staggering.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

JimG.

Staff member
I've never really watched Tucker much before, but when I went to the home page of Youtube tonight, right there in the "Recommended" videos section at the top was his take on the Youtube censorship topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPrbGU0Wyh4

So YouTube censored these two doctor's opinion in a video by removing it and then made a conservative commentator's response to that censorship a recommended presentation that others should watch.

That's either unbelievably stupid or incredibly arrogant. Or both.

cdskier

So YouTube censored these two doctor's opinion in a video by removing it and then made a conservative commentator's response to that censorship a recommended presentation that others should watch.

That's either unbelievably stupid or incredibly arrogant. Or both.

Hah! I didn't even think about it that way. Probably unintentional though on their part. The Youtube algorithm for "Recommended" videos simply saw that I watched part of the original video and recommended this one to me since it was "related".

JimG.

Staff member
Hah! I didn't even think about it that way. Probably unintentional though on their part. The Youtube algorithm for "Recommended" videos simply saw that I watched part of the original video and recommended this one to me since it was "related".

Which shows you how stupid machines are as well.

To be expected since machines are made by people.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't much care how content is controlled on YouTube, Twitter, FaceBook etc. Ultimately it's up to the owners of those businesses what is allowed and what isn't. Same as AZ.

As social media has grown, so has the amount of people who feel that they should be allowed to share their "content" wherever and however they please on free hosting sites. It just doesn't work that way. When their content is not supported, they cry censorship. Um no, you're free to set up your own hosting site to share whatever content you please.

The result of people being denied their ability to share certain content on popular platforms has been the rise of sites like 8chan being developed where anything goes. Well, it turns out such places aren't such a good idea as the cesspool created has influenced extremists and Walmarts in Texas and Mosques in New Zealand become mass murder sites.

End of the day, if you don't like how YouTube, Twitter, AZ or any other website is run, you're free to take your content or search out the content you want elsewhere. It's really that simple.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

Don't much care how content is controlled on YouTube, Twitter, FaceBook etc. Ultimately it's up to the owners of those businesses what is allowed and what isn't. Same as AZ.

As social media has grown, so has the amount of people who feel that they should be allowed to share their "content" wherever and however they please on free hosting sites. It just doesn't work that way. When their content is not supported, they cry censorship. Um no, you're free to set up your own hosting site to share whatever content you please.

The result of people being denied their ability to share certain content on popular platforms has been the rise of sites like 8chan being developed where anything goes. Well, it turns out such places aren't such a good idea as the cesspool created has influenced extremists and Walmarts in Texas and Mosques in New Zealand become mass murder sites.

End of the day, if you don't like how YouTube, Twitter, AZ or any other website is run, you're free to take your content or search out the content you want elsewhere. It's really that simple.

I could not agree more.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Sadly I agree with you. At least AZ has had a consistent with policy . Mods have slapped our hands when things got contentious.

Youtube on the other hand has been moving the goal posts and retroactively pulling creators videos. They shrug their shoulders while overlooking those that they have a similar viewpoint politically ,some groups openly advocating violence against the other side ?. Some have invested years building businesses and literally overnight are done. If you're going to do stuff like that own it ,come out and say so rather than being ambiguous .

Glenn

There's a lot of oddness behind the scenes on social media these days. Yes, private companies and they can control what they want. However, it seems the control is a bit inconsistent and at times politically motivated. I've heard YouTube is removing all health related content regarding COVID19 if it doesn't align with guidance from The W.H.O. That seems a bit strange given there's been a lot of fluctuation in guidance from many health organizations as of late.

JimG.

Staff member
Youtube is the first place I saw content devoted to males kicking each other in the balls.

That pretty much summed it up for me right off the bat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My number one use for YouTube is live concert viewing. The fidelity isn't great compared to Blueray, but the options are endless.

#2 would be cartoons for the kids.

In terms of viewing hours this quarantine, #2 wins handedly. haha

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Earlier in the year I received an message from them that they would start eliminating channels they felt weren't getting views . So far none of my subscriptions have been eliminated .

I've found a lot of musicians that I would have never hear of and bought some of their music . I have about 70 subscriptions I rarely watch TV anymore. Favorites "The history guy" , aviation related stuff,Mike Patey ,Tucker Gott , Stefan langer,Skiing of course . Since I'm now related to a Tai person I've been exploring some music.
There are endless tutorials on anything under the sun you want to fix . If you're mechanically inclined and have some tools you can save a ton.

DH if the kids get bored grab some duct tape some crayons and a couple cardboard boxes . Good for hours of entertainment.