• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

WinS

Looks like 15 years ago (as far back as my Sugarbush e-mails go), season passes went on sale in early April with an early May early price deadline. I think a lot of the on sale dates shifting earlier has happened for 2 reasons:
1) Coinciding more with "spring pass" sales where they started giving people the option of buying next year's pass and being able to use it from mid/late March through the end of the current season.
2) Competition of various resorts and products trying to outdo others to capture more market-share.

As for the notion that giving resorts money now is pointless, I disagree. Resorts spend a significant amount of money during the summer to prepare for next season. Giving them money now helps ensure they have the money to do that yearly work. Even giving money to a "big" company like Alterra still helps ensure they can filter some of it down to the local level to help out the people working for those resorts in those local communities. (I'm sure someone will argue the resorts could have planned better or had more money in the bank, etc...but at least I have some personal sense that I'm somehow helping the locals at my resort whether it is true or not).

This may also be a bit of an odd reason, but for Ikon at least, buying now has a bit of a benefit from an insurance perspective (if you plan to take the optional insurance). The loss of job clause kicks in 30 days after the effective date. The effective date is when you pay the policy premium (i.e. when you purchase your pass). As long as I have the money now, I'd rather lock that clause in as early as possible just in case something did happen down the road.

You are correct. The ski industry business model is a very challenging one. The vast majority of ski mountains make their money from late December until late March or early April and then drain cash for the next 9 months. Spring pass sales have allowed them to support the needed summer staffing for maintenance and capital improvements. Without this resorts would have to borrow if they can and or capital injections from another source. Many ski resorts have attempted to build more robust summer businesses and this has helped summer cash flow but is not adequate by itself to do what is needed for summer maintenance and capital improvements.

skiur

on behalf of the entire Killington Resort team, we appreciate your loyal patronage as a Killington Season Passholder. We are proud of the experiences we deliver at Killington and particularly proud of the memories we shared with you this season before we suspended operations on March 15. From day one on the new North Ridge Quad in November (first in the East again!), to the introduction of Woodward Mountain Park, another successful HomeLight Killington Cup and 133 days of terrific skiing and riding, the season we did have was an unforgettable one.

As a thank you for being a part of this season, and in response to the impact COVID-19 has had, today we are announcing the
Killington Passholder Promise:

VOUCHER: As a qualifying 2019-20 season passholder, you will receive a voucher toward a 2020/21 season pass or K-Ticket.
REFUND AVAILABLE – BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We will issue a full refund before November 20, 2020 for any passholder who has not used his/her 2020/21 pass and desires a refund for any reason.
BEST PRICING: Best pricing on 2020-21 season passes has been extended through July 15, 2020.
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT PLAN: The three-installment payment plan is available for ease and flexibility through July 15, 2020.
ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION PASS: Our Beast 365 all seasons, unlimited subscription pass allows you to pay monthly and if we are not open due to COVID-19, you will not be charged for that month.

Your voucher value is based on the type and age group of the 2019-20 pass purchased, and is valid through the end of the 2020-21 season.

Voucher dollar amounts
Adult Unlimited Pass $150 Voucher
29 & Below Unlimited Pass $100 Voucher
Youth Unlimited Pass $100 Voucher
Senior Unlimited Pass $100 Voucher
Midweek Pass $75 Voucher
Vermont Student Pass $50 Voucher

CLICK HERE to redeem your voucher and vouchers for other 2019-20 passholders linked to your account or call 800-621-6867 to purchase by phone. Additional redemption details and voucher information can be accessed HERE.

Although we fully expect to be open for summer operations and the 2020-21 ski season, we know that the COVID-19 situation is causing uncertainty, and the Passholder Promise is designed to let you plan and purchase with confidence. Regardless of which pass products you have purchased in the past, we hope you’ll consider the Beast 365 Pass. The up-front cost is low, and the monthly subscription fee will not be charged if operations are suspended due to COVID-19, making it the perfect pass for these uncertain times. The pass also provides tremendous value with year-round access to the resort plus skiing and riding at 39 additional destinations with the included Ikon Base Pass.

Since the spread of coronavirus began, our top priority has been to address the safety and well-being of our employees, guests, and community, including loyal passholders like you. We are extremely appreciative of your patience and support as we have worked through this situation, and developed this plan. We hope that you find this token of our gratitude as a genuine regard for your support and patronage, and we hope that you continue to stay healthy and do what you can to support your friends and neighbors so that we may all resume doing what we love with those we love when these challenging times subside. We remain hopeful to be able to ski and ride on Superstar again this spring.

Thank you and please stay safe,

Mike Solimano

President and General Manager

Killington Resort and Pico Mountain

thetrailboss

Staff member
on behalf of the entire Killington Resort team, we appreciate your loyal patronage as a Killington Season Passholder. We are proud of the experiences we deliver at Killington and particularly proud of the memories we shared with you this season before we suspended operations on March 15. From day one on the new North Ridge Quad in November (first in the East again!), to the introduction of Woodward Mountain Park, another successful HomeLight Killington Cup and 133 days of terrific skiing and riding, the season we did have was an unforgettable one.

As a thank you for being a part of this season, and in response to the impact COVID-19 has had, today we are announcing the

VOUCHER: As a qualifying 2019-20 season passholder, you will receive a voucher toward a 2020/21 season pass or K-Ticket.
REFUND AVAILABLE – BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We will issue a full refund before November 20, 2020 for any passholder who has not used his/her 2020/21 pass and desires a refund for any reason.
BEST PRICING: Best pricing on 2020-21 season passes has been extended through July 15, 2020.
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT PLAN: The three-installment payment plan is available for ease and flexibility through July 15, 2020.
ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION PASS: Our Beast 365 all seasons, unlimited subscription pass allows you to pay monthly and if we are not open due to COVID-19, you will not be charged for that month.

Your voucher value is based on the type and age group of the 2019-20 pass purchased, and is valid through the end of the 2020-21 season.

Voucher dollar amounts
Midweek Pass $75 Voucher

CLICK HERE to redeem your voucher and vouchers for other 2019-20 passholders linked to your account or call 800-621-6867 to purchase by phone. Additional redemption details and voucher information can be accessed HERE.

Although we fully expect to be open for summer operations and the 2020-21 ski season, we know that the COVID-19 situation is causing uncertainty, and the Passholder Promise is designed to let you plan and purchase with confidence. Regardless of which pass products you have purchased in the past, we hope you’ll consider the Beast 365 Pass. The up-front cost is low, and the monthly subscription fee will not be charged if operations are suspended due to COVID-19, making it the perfect pass for these uncertain times. The pass also provides tremendous value with year-round access to the resort plus skiing and riding at 39 additional destinations with the included Ikon Base Pass.

Since the spread of coronavirus began, our top priority has been to address the safety and well-being of our employees, guests, and community, including loyal passholders like you. We are extremely appreciative of your patience and support as we have worked through this situation, and developed this plan. We hope that you find this token of our gratitude as a genuine regard for your support and patronage, and we hope that you continue to stay healthy and do what you can to support your friends and neighbors so that we may all resume doing what we love with those we love when these challenging times subside. We remain hopeful to be able to ski and ride on Superstar again this spring.

Mike Solimano

Good response IMHO

machski

Breck and Keystone can lay it down and open terrain like nobody’s business! But have about 600 acres of snowmaking out of 3000+ acres. They open 600 acres fast! They have the largest snowmaking systems in Colorado as well as Beaver Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Copper can as well, their system covers a lot more terrain than I thought. Very surprised. And Vail was in the midst of one of the largest if not largest Snowmaking expansions in the country prior to the virus hitting. Believe they want to add 600 acres of coverage to the several hundred they already had.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Voucher dollar amounts
Midweek Pass $75 Voucher

Mike Solimano

Remain hopeful to ski Superstar again this spring? Only way I see that happening is running it like Mt. Baldy's model of arrival/chair reservations. But with so much less acreage in play at K, don't see how they could work it. And it is already a money bleed anyway into May, would be even worse this year if they have to construct guests per day or hour. Nice fantasy, but that's it.

JimG.

Staff member
Good response IMHO

I'm pleased as well.

Lately I've been pondering not buying the K 365 pass and just going the NYS 3 in 1 for the season.

Then I got my $150 voucher today towards a new pass and I like the insurance the 365 provides if there is a closure due to virus...
if they are closed there is no monthly payment. So now this is a go.

JimG.

Staff member
Remain hopeful to ski Superstar again this spring? Only way I see that happening is running it like Mt. Baldy's model of arrival/chair reservations. But with so much less acreage in play at K, don't see how they could work it. And it is already a money bleed anyway into May, would be even worse this year if they have to construct guests per day or hour. Nice fantasy, but that's it.

It is highly unlikely.

I wonder how they would prioritize who got to ski if they did open up though. Locals only? Season passholders only? VT Residents only?

skiur

I'm pleased as well.

Lately I've been pondering not buying the K 365 pass and just going the NYS 3 in 1 for the season.

Then I got my $150 voucher today towards a new pass and I like the insurance the 365 provides if there is a closure due to virus...

The 365 had become a no brainier with the inclusion of the ikon base pass with it.

machski

It is highly unlikely.

I wonder how they would prioritize who got to ski if they did open up though. Locals only? Season passholders only? VT Residents only?
I would guess it would be like Baldy, have to pre-reserve your time/ticket, even passholders (although they would just reserve a time and not have to buy a ticket).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

dblskifanatic

Copper can as well, their system covers a lot more terrain than I thought. Very surprised. And Vail was in the midst of one of the largest if not largest Snowmaking expansions in the country prior to the virus hitting. Believe they want to add 600 acres of coverage to the several hundred they already had.

Copper has less that 400 acres which they rely on to ski teams to come for training before they open to the public.

Vial currently has 475 adding 600 would make theirs the one with most coverage for sure but they need it it sits lower and gets pretty firm during early season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

Epic:
Today we are sharing a comprehensive plan that provides you a special savings as a thank you for joining us last season and gives you the peace of mind and time you need during this current uncertainty:

• 1. If You Purchased a Lift Ticket During the 2019/20 Season:
We are extending our ‘Turn In Your Ticket’ program
Apply the value of your lift ticket from last season, up to $150, toward an already amazing deal on our passes. If you want unlimited skiing and riding, an Epic Pass or Epic Local Pass provides saving of up to 65%. If you are looking to lock in 4-7 flexible days for next season, our Epic Day Pass provides up to 50% off lift ticket prices. Explore more at Epicpass.com.

Turn In Your Ticket credits historically had to be used by spring, but now you have until Labor Day to decide. You will receive an email outlining your lift ticket credit details and your promotion code in late May. If you purchase a pass prior to receiving your promotion code, we will retroactively provide the Turn In Your Ticket credit back to you. In the meantime, click here to see our FAQs about the Turn in Your Ticket Program

boston_e

I'm pleased as well.

My question for a possible scenario which hasn't been mentioned.... (And I messaged Killington on it).... what if Killington is able to open, but Vermont maintains a 14 day quarantine policy for anyone who comes in form out of state? For any of us coming form MA / NY etc, that would render the pass essentially not usable even if the mountain is able to open. What happens then? And would they allow us to freeze our passes under such circumstances?

(We had been fully planning on 365 passes this year for sure)

skiur

My question for a possible scenario which hasn't been mentioned.... (And I messaged Killington on it).... what if Killington is able to open, but Vermont maintains a 14 day quarantine policy for anyone who comes in form out of state? For any of us coming form MA / NY etc, that would render the pass essentially not usable even if the mountain is able to open. What happens then? And would they allow us to freeze our passes under such circumstances?

It's the middle of May. K would have been down to weekends only and nobody else would be open after this past weekend. Skiing is done for the season. Time to move on.

boston_e

It's the middle of May. K would have been down to weekends only and nobody else would be open after this past weekend. Skiing is done for the season. Time to move on.

Are you familiar with the Killington 365 pass? Im' not talking about skiing this spring. Im talking about mt biking / golf / adventure center this summer and yes, even skiing next season.

thetrailboss

Staff member

That is a good question.

cdskier

In that scenario, would it even be viable from a financial perspective for K to open? A significant portion of their revenue (for skiing at least, perhaps not as much golf/mountain biking) comes from out of state visitors I would imagine. Some smaller local mountains in VT could potentially survive with VT skiers only, but I can't imagine that working out well for most of the larger resorts.