Season Pass Options/Considerations - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    I would guess that 20-30 years ago, most western areas had very limited snowmaking
    Do western areas have impressive snowmaking today? I've not really noticed that.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

The larger and most efficent resorts make their money way ahead of the weather curve, as the below link indicates. The time/vaue of money is the most important factor.

If like the season ticket holder of say the Patriots or the Green Bay Packers have very early season purchases - guaranteeing a more even cash flow and a cash flow at all when 20-30 years ago it wss a weather and econimic crap-shoot.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...rts-a-buy.aspx

You'll see Vail increasing its annual early season buy in by rasing day prices and growing season ticket sales from 35% in 2017 to 47% on 2018/19.

Its just good business. How they treat their customer is another argument.

But driving the day prices up to drive the season pass purchases up is brilliant - can't do that withoyrt some volume of resorts to offer for some economies of scale.

I don't own an Epic - I'm an Ikon holder - but I sure wish I purhcased the stock a few years ago. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Do western areas have impressive snowmaking today? I've not really noticed that.
    Monarch has zero snowmaking! Obviously Silverton does not make snow. Loveland and A Basin have enough snowmaking to compete for early opening. Breck and Keystone have significant snowmaking to get a base down on many groomers but percentage wise most have maybe 15-20 percent snowmaking coverage at least here in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Depends on how you look at it. In terms of percentage of acres covered, not really. But in terms of pumping capacity, there are some large snowmaking systems out west

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Looks like 15 years ago (as far back as my Sugarbush e-mails go), season passes went on sale in early April with an early May early price deadline. I think a lot of the on sale dates shifting earlier has happened for 2 reasons:
    1) Coinciding more with "spring pass" sales where they started giving people the option of buying next year's pass and being able to use it from mid/late March through the end of the current season.
    2) Competition of various resorts and products trying to outdo others to capture more market-share.

As for the notion that giving resorts money now is pointless, I disagree. Resorts spend a significant amount of money during the summer to prepare for next season. Giving them money now helps ensure they have the money to do that yearly work. Even giving money to a "big" company like Alterra still helps ensure they can filter some of it down to the local level to help out the people working for those resorts in those local communities. (I'm sure someone will argue the resorts could have planned better or had more money in the bank, etc...but at least I have some personal sense that I'm somehow helping the locals at my resort whether it is true or not).

This may also be a bit of an odd reason, but for Ikon at least, buying now has a bit of a benefit from an insurance perspective (if you plan to take the optional insurance). The loss of job clause kicks in 30 days after the effective date. The effective date is when you pay the policy premium (i.e. when you purchase your pass). As long as I have the money now, I'd rather lock that clause in as early as possible just in case something did happen down the road.
    you save emails for 15 years?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    you save emails for 15 years?
    Actually I have 22 years worth of e-mails...but I apparently only subscribed to Sugarbush's mailing list since December 2004

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Actually I have 22 years worth of e-mails...but I apparently only subscribed to Sugarbush's mailing list since December 2004
    That's crazy!
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Some do; some don't. You'd be surprised how much Alta and Snowbird have. Not as much % wise as on the east coast.

Deer Valley and Park City have a lot relatively speaking. In fact, when LBO bought Park West and made it Canyons locals were perplexed as to why he spent so much on snowmaking. Many laughed about it.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Heavenly claims like the most powerful in the country but there's just no way they hang with killington sunday river or even loon or cannon imho.

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. In terms of percentage of acres covered, not really. But in terms of pumping capacity, there are some large snowmaking systems out west
    Breck and Keystone can lay it down and open terrain like nobody’s business! But have about 600 acres of snowmaking out of 3000+ acres. They open 600 acres fast! They have the largest snowmaking systems in Colorado as well as Beaver Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thread Information