Season Pass Options/Considerations - Page 52

AlpineZone

Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    At least that's somewhat of a loophole. Do you need to have a legit reason to cancel? So many new rules I can't remember which way is up.
    Early on, EPIC was making it so you had to have an injury or the season had to be canceled/cut short due to COVID. IKON, meanwhile, had stated from the beginning that anyone could roll over from 20/21 to 21/22 for any reason. EPIC's latest response I believe was to adopt the same policy as IKON - if you haven't booked anything or used pass by 12/8, you are able to get a refund/credit. Or maybe just a credit and not a refund, I'd have to re-read.

I hate to let the credit go unused, but I do not want to basically let EPIC hold onto my money for 2 years.

Personally, I already have an injury I'm recovering from (broken back 1/17 at Mt. Snow and surgery 2/20), so my season is a pipe dream right now. I honestly don't think my body will be ready until late season at best. I think I'd like to get back on snow though and not give up the sport, even after my injuries.
    My wife is high-risk (kidney problems) and so this season looks like a wash for her - how can we ride all day or travel 2+ hours to a mountain and not use their restrooms, etc.? I also have zero faith in the mountains to actually control social distancing while in lift lines. That's just not going to happen. Lift ops can't manage the line properly without social distancing and COVID.
    I just don't see how resort skiing/riding right now is at all feasible for high-risk people. Unfortunately, just part of the COVID world we live in right now - we're not willing to risk her health unnecessarily with her being high risk.

So, after breaking my brain reading the Sugarbush and COVID-19 threads I just got my Plattekill season pass to go along with my NY SKI3.

I may wind up using my Killington midweek pass as well as a hedge against Cuomo shutting everything down in NY. But VT is making thinking about skiing in VT this coming season way too complicated. Not what skiing is all about.
    Last edited by JimG.; Sep 18, 2020 at 3:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    So, after breaking my brain reading the Sugarbush and COVID-19 threads I just got my Plattekill season pass to go along with my NY SKI3.
    I dont get that, how do you make a Platty season pass work financially? Not trolling you, as I'm sure you know you've read my thoughts on this before, but you have to be DEDICATED to Platty hardcore (and be naive to any alternative discounts) to make that work. That said, big congrats to you for skiing mighty Platty more this year. (> the place! I just think their SP price is nuts (or I'd be a pass holder).
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I dont get that, how do you make a Platty season pass work financially? Not trolling you, as I'm sure you know you've read my thoughts on this before, but you have to be DEDICATED to Platty hardcore (and be naive to any alternative discounts) to make that work. That said, big congrats to you for skiing mighty Platty more this year. (> the place! I just think their SP price is nuts (or I'd be a pass holder).
    Yeah the pass is expensive. But I need a weekend place to ski if I limit myself to NY for the season. The SKI3 areas are all going to be stupid crowded on weekends. So the Platty pass makes total sense to me in that scenario.

Before this season I would never have considered buying a Platty pass because it is so expensive, especially problematic since the place is only open 3 days a week. Even more an issue since I am retired. Then COVID happened and I realized if I don't take the Platty plunge this year I never will.

I'm not a skiing discount shopper; deals and discounts are irrelevant to me. Since I bought a K midweek pass instead of a full season pass the price difference worked out to a Platty pass this year. If I defer that K pass to 21-22 (not a given) I will pay less for passes than last season. That's about as far as I go with financial analysis of the situation.

I'm blessed to not have to worry about spending the money.

I bought a Butternut season pass for a discount price of $249. That at least covers me for the season with somewhere to go in my own state. I probably should have gotten something at Berkshire East because that place never gets crowded, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I also bought an Epic North East pass, also because I could get that on a discount. Not sure if I'll be able to use it, but with my current work scheduled it made sense to at least try.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    I bought a Butternut season pass for a discount price of $249. That at least covers me for the season with somewhere to go in my own state. I probably should have gotten something at Berkshire East because that place never gets crowded, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I also bought an Epic North East pass, also because I could get that on a discount. Not sure if I'll be able to use it, but with my current work scheduled it made sense to at least try.
    Two other places I will ski this season...Butternut and Catamount. Haven't been skiing at either place for decades.
    Last edited by JimG.; Sep 19, 2020 at 8:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Two other places I will ski this season...Butternut and Catamount. Haven't been skiing at either place for decades.
    Had a good time at Catamount last year using Indy days. The new owners did a lot of work to it. I'll definitely go back again this year. Its a shame their nice new lodge may sit empty this year.

I'm still on the fence on what to do this year. I feel like I need to supplement the Ikon in the event that Vermont never loosens its restrictions but I know as soon as I buy another pass then they'll do just that. Indy pass seems like a good deal but wish there were one or two more good NH places on it like Ragged or Bretton Woods as insurance.

Feel like 95% of my Ikon use will be out west because Loon will be a madhouse and that might be the only place in the east accessible to me. Getting my money's worth wont be hard considering western prices, but it will suck not getting many days in here. Was gonna avoid Wachusett this year but idk, might have to bite that bullet.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5, 3/15
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8, 3/2
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25; Waterville: 3/17
    Sugarbush: 3/8, 3/9 (w/MRG), 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Berkshire East pass is also good at Catamount and Bosquet (so you would have 3 places in Massachusetts to ski), and also allows you to purchase the Indy Pass “add on” for only $129

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    I'm still on the fence on what to do this year. I feel like I need to supplement the Ikon in the event that Vermont never loosens its restrictions but I know as soon as I buy another pass then they'll do just that. Indy pass seems like a good deal but wish there were one or two more good NH places on it like Ragged or Bretton Woods as insurance.

Feel like 95% of my Ikon use will be out west because Loon will be a madhouse and that might be the only place in the east accessible to me. Getting my money's worth wont be hard considering western prices, but it will suck not getting many days in here. Was gonna avoid Wachusett this year but idk, might have to bite that bullet.
    Doubt Loon is quite the "madhouse" you are envisioning given they will be severely limiting day tickets and Ikon passholders will need to make reservations (this they will limit those guests as well). Might actually be a great year to ski Loon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information