• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

Zermatt

With more and more Karens in this world everyday don't you think 20/21 season numbers will be down naturally from fear alone? Possibly enough to eliminate overcrowding. Karen and her family just dominate places like Stratton. Karen isn't loading the Suburban every Friday to venture out into Covid country. She still uses rubber gloves to pump the gas and leaves her packages outside for a week before opening them.

I hope you all know there are no quarantine police in Vermont. I drove back from VT on Monday evening and it was surreal. Felt like early Christmas morning. I did not once need to pass a car on VT state highways. I think I passed maybe 10 cars on a 50 mile stretch of I-91.

FFS...as I am typing this looking out my window Karen just ran by my house with her two daughters all wearing face masks at 547am! Do I live in the crowded streets of NYC? No, a suburban ghost town in CT where there is plenty of room to never need a face mask outside! Let alone running at 547am.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
With more and more Karens in this world everyday don't you think 20/21 season numbers will be down naturally from fear alone? Possibly enough to eliminate overcrowding. Karen and her family just dominate places like Stratton. Karen isn't loading the Suburban every Friday to venture out into Covid country. She still uses rubber gloves to pump the gas and leaves her packages outside for a week before opening them.

I hope you all know there are no quarantine police in Vermont. I drove back from VT on Monday evening and it was surreal. Felt like early Christmas morning. I did not once need to pass a car on VT state highways. I think I passed maybe 10 cars on a 50 mile stretch of I-91.

FFS...as I am typing this looking out my window Karen just ran by my house with her two daughters all wearing face masks at 547am! Do I live in the crowded streets of NYC? No, a suburban ghost town in CT where there is plenty of room to never need a face mask outside! Let alone running at 547am.

I think for every irrational person who will not be skiing next year, there'll be one rational person who does more skiing or tries skiing for the first time realizing it's one of the safest sports you can possibly play.

The mask wearing OUTSIDE in public is hilarious to me (no crowded sidewalks where I am). People wearing masks in their own cars is a terrifying exemplification of human stupidity and fear-mongering.

BenedictGomez

To complicate this further, the masses don't start skiing until around Christmas, and right around Christmas is probably when a COVID19 vaccine will be available. So if that happens the fearful people being discussed would no longer be fearful post vaccination.

dblskifanatic

I think for every irrational person who will not be skiing next year, there'll be one rational person who does more skiing or tries skiing for the first time realizing it's one of the safest sports you can possibly play.

The mask wearing OUTSIDE in public is hilarious to me (no crowded sidewalks where I am). People wearing masks in their own cars is a terrifying exemplification of human stupidity and fear-mongering.

Still not getting the face mask while driving or face masks when walking by ones self in open spaces!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

boston_e

Still not getting the face mask while driving or face masks when walking by ones self in open spaces!

Yeah, where we are is suburbs and it is easy to go for a jog / walk / bike ride etc and easily keep well over 6' from others.

When I go I'll have a light buff neck gaiter on and if I am going to pass by someone, I'll pull it up for the few seconds that it takes to pass by.

As to the cars, it does seem odd, but I always assumed they just forget to pull it down / or helps them remember to not forget it if they do stop to go into a store... but yeah driving solo in a car should be zero risk.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stopped for gas in Waterbury, VT on Wednesday. All 3 other people at the pumps had their masks up. So, at minimum they were 20 feet from another person. In a place with hardly any cases. Oh well. To each their own

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

I was at a small private beach on Cape Cod today. Maybe 150 yards long, no parking lot, locals only. I counted 10 people on the beach, all spread out at least 40 feet between groups. One woman wore a mask the entire time, even in the water. Crazy people exist.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Dickc

https://abcnews.go.com/US/driver-crash-passed-wearing-n95-mask-long-police/story?id=70346532

boston_e

Stopped for gas in Waterbury, VT on Wednesday. All 3 other people at the pumps had their masks up. So, at minimum they were 20 feet from another person. In a place with hardly any cases. Oh well. To each their own

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was at a small private beach on Cape Cod today. Maybe 150 yards long, no parking lot, locals only. I counted 10 people on the beach, all spread out at least 40 feet between groups. One woman wore a mask the entire time, even in the water. Crazy people exist.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

These specific cases certainly seem to be situations where masks would not be necessary for sure. With that said, the idea of cloth masks is not that they protect the wearer so much but protect others from the wearer if he or she is infected.... so I'd say we shouldn't be judging people who may be primarily taking the potential safety of others into account with their decision to wear a face cover.

As to next season, I'm guessing the biggest possible impact to ski season would not be that the resorts have to close so much as services like group lessons, child care, base lodges etc could be affected in some way.... as well as the potential for states to keep up with (or re-implement) a 14 day quarantine requirement.

I'm guessing it could be a "boot up in the car, skip lunch and apres ski at home" type of season.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
To complicate this further, the masses don't start skiing until around Christmas, and right around Christmas is probably when a COVID19 vaccine will be available. So if that happens the fearful people being discussed would no longer be fearful post vaccination.

I think that is being very optimistic as to timing.

I seriously think that the way things are going that we are going to not have a ski season in the traditional sense out here. We have barely opened up out here in Utah and our numbers are skyrocketing. This is not a second wave but the first. There is no leadership on the issue and as it is things will continue to spin out of control.

That said, after taking into account the "loyalty" discounts we got, it looks like my daughter and I are renewing our Alta/Bird Passes. We get IKON base passes with them this season, so we get to now be part of the problem. Yeaaaahhh.

Snowbird ski camp is toast even without the Pandemic. My daughter ended up in a lesser ability group than when she started. Go figure. Unlike the last few years, they did not even bother to ask us our opinion as to the program at year's end. You've heard the reasons why it is in the toilet from me--good economy, shit pay starting two seasons ago that drove their talent away, and unmotivated staff. For her, she may do camp at Alta. Assuming that life is normal.

My wife is going to renew her IKON pass. She skied all of three days on it last year. Alterra loves her.

We may also get some five-packs for Ski Discovery in Montana since we have close friends up there and a place to crash. Very cool place.

p_levert

I just renewed my Ikon base pass. As I learned, you don't get to pick your resort for Covid-19 protection until September, which is weird. I had been assuming I would pick Sugarbush, but after looking at thetrailboss's post just above, maybe I'll pick something in Utah instead. It's all about finding the resorts most likely to experience a shutdown. The "all resorts" option is for suckers.

I also expect to buy an Indy pass, but I have time to make a final decision. I like Fish and their ski-day guarantee is fantastic. Not just Covid-19, but everything life throws in your way.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just renewed my Ikon base pass. As I learned, you don't get to pick your resort for Covid-19 protection until September, which is weird. I had been assuming I would pick Sugarbush, but after looking at thetrailboss's post just above, maybe I'll pick something in Utah instead. It's all about finding the resorts most likely to experience a shutdown. The "all resorts" option is for suckers.

I also expect to buy an Indy pass, but I have time to make a final decision. I like Fish and their ski-day guarantee is fantastic. Not just Covid-19, but everything life throws in your way.

I may not pick Utah though for that reason. Our numbers are up but the State has not done jack shit.

catskillman

Because they are sick or exposed and do not want the others in the car to get infected !

Or, maybe they are not the onle person that uses the car and they do not want their germs left in the car to expose others.......

Zermatt

Because they are sick or exposed and do not want the others in the car to get infected !

Or, maybe they are not the onle person that uses the car and they do not want their germs left in the car to expose others.......

Wrong, if you're in a car with a sick person with the windows closed you are screwed unless you have full medical PPE. With the windows open likely fine with no mask.

Also wrong about touching "germs." Not really how respiratory viruses spread. Then add in the heat of a closed car in the summer and the virus is dead in minutes.

gregnye

I'm guessing it could be a "boot up in the car, skip lunch and apres ski at home" type of season.

It's always a "boot up in the car, bring lunch" type of season for me. If COVID prompts ski areas to lower their ridiculous food prices, it will be one of the positive things to come out of this.

As for people wearing masks in their car. The reason usually is: some people don't want to touch their face yet until after they've washed their hands at home.
What I do is, I have my mask off in the car driving to the grocery store. But then when returning home, I hand sanitize before touching my car, but wait until I get home to wash my hands before I remove my mask. It's not a long drive so thats why.

gregnye

You don't understand the Karen Meme. Karen is someone who just thinks about themselves and takes pride in annoying minimum-wage customer service workers.

Wearing a mask doesn't help you (unless it's an N-95), It helps those around you, so that if you sneeze/cough, the germs don't travel as far. Therefore by definition this isn't a Karen situation, because Karen only thinks about herself.

Therefore a real Karen situation would be something like: demanding to speak to the manager about why the Employees are wearing masks because it intrudes on her peace of mind during her vacation--wont somebody possibly think of the children!

Source: Worked in Retail for 4 years.

nhskier1969

I love your idea. I probably go with something in Washington. Maybe Crystal, But Sugarbush isn't too far behind.

cdskier

I disagree with that approach. I'm going to pick the resort where I plan to ski the most (i.e. Sugarbush). I'm not taking a chance that Sugarbush ends up closing but some resort out west that I "thought" might be more likely to experience a shutdown ends up staying open. My goal isn't to "pull one over" on Ikon. My goal is to get credit for my "home" resort if they happen to close and I can't ski there.