• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

boston_e

In that scenario, would it even be viable from a financial perspective for K to open? A significant portion of their revenue (for skiing at least, perhaps not as much golf/mountain biking) comes from out of state visitors I would imagine. Some smaller local mountains in VT could potentially survive with VT skiers only, but I can't imagine that working out well for most of the larger resorts.

I'm really not sure. I agree probably not for winter operations, but maybe for summer?

slatham

Is the 150 days a combined 150 of operation across the 3 resorts or are they guaranteeing that one resort will have 150 days of operation?

As I read it, its a pass for three areas so it would need to be 150 days between them. Not each resort needs to operate 150 days.

JimG.

Staff member
My question for a possible scenario which hasn't been mentioned.... (And I messaged Killington on it).... what if Killington is able to open, but Vermont maintains a 14 day quarantine policy for anyone who comes in form out of state? For any of us coming form MA / NY etc, that would render the pass essentially not usable even if the mountain is able to open. What happens then? And would they allow us to freeze our passes under such circumstances?

(We had been fully planning on 365 passes this year for sure)

I have the same concern. It is possible I will buy a NYS 3 in 1 only for next season if K cannot mitigate the risk you have brought up.

I was stoked to buy the 365 as well but being a dreaded "flatlander" from NY makes me wonder if I should make that investment; it may not pay off for me.

icecoast1

I have the same concern. It is possible I will buy a NYS 3 in 1 only for next season if K cannot mitigate the risk you have brought up.

I was stoked to buy the 365 as well but being a dreaded "flatlander" from NY makes me wonder if I should make that investment; it may not pay off for me.

Isnt part of the phased reopening easing restrictions like that? Not to mention it was totally unenforceable. Vermont is allowing lodging reservations again starting June 15th, doesnt seem like something theyd do if they didnt want out of staters

machski

That is what I figured too
Yup, that is it. So SR opens early and goes 145 days, but SL opens a week later and goes the same 145 days then they would hit 152 and no credit for 21-22. I am assuming Loon wouldn't be the pusher on either end, but could be I suppose depending on State restrictions or actions next season.

Still, for me this is great. I don't mind using the pass if they get open early before the put option deadline, since if they are forced to close up again virus wise, I'll get some skiing in and some credit towards 21-22 as well.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Isnt part of the phased reopening easing restrictions like that? Not to mention it was totally unenforceable. Vermont is allowing lodging reservations again starting June 15th, doesnt seem like something theyd do if they didnt want out of staters

The problem is all of these restrictions/relaxations seem random and vary from state to state.

What would stop them from taking my hotel reservation but then telling me I can't ski? As ridiculous as that sounds if you told me 2 months ago I'd be forced to sit at home most of the time and wear a mask if I leave the house that would seem even more ridiculous!

It's all so unpredictable and untrustworthy that I'm having difficulty making any commitments confidently and I don't do business without a certain level of confidence. So I may just hold on to my cash and ski NY only.

boston_e

I guess for now that is the plan, although I haven't seen anything officially announced... and even if they do away with the 14 day quarantine, who knows if it comes back or not? This thing could definitely come and go in waves.

As to being enforceable or not, I'm not sure that "we are open, if you are from out of state disregard the 14 day protocol and come ski anyway" is a message that Killington can really put out there. Enforceable or not, if a 14 day quarantine is recommended for anyone coming in from out of state, there will be a large percentage of guests who would want to do the socially responsible thing and stick to guidelines.

ScottySkis

The problem is all of these restrictions/relaxations seem random and vary from state to state.

What would stop them from taking my hotel reservation but then telling me I can't ski? As ridiculous as that sounds if you told me 2 months ago I'd be forced to sit at home most of the time and wear a mask if I leave the house that would seem even more ridiculous!

It's all so unpredictable and untrustworthy that I'm having difficulty making any commitments confidently and I don't do business without a certain level of confidence. So I may just hold on to my cash and ski NY only.

I just hope NY 3 places have budget for snowmaking

thebigo

We had the same discussion about potential travel restrictions in our house over the weekend but for us it was epic local vs epic northeast. Original plan was to take the kids west for the first time but will save the money and plan local. Good thing about being an nh resident is that a family can easily get sufficient value in state. Actually a locals only season at wildcat would redefine epic but doubt it would be financially sustainable. Still deciding whether to tack on an ikon for myself and older daughter to cover early/late season plus her competitions, she was planning competitive moguls but not sure that will still happen.

Smellytele

We had the same discussion about potential travel restrictions in our house over the weekend but for us it was epic local vs epic northeast. Original plan was to take the kids west for the first time but will save the money and plan local. Good thing about being an nh resident is that a family can easily get sufficient value in state. Actually a locals only season at wildcat would redefine epic but doubt it would be financially sustainable. Still deciding whether to tack on an ikon for myself and older daughter to cover early/late season plus her competitions, she was planning competitive moguls but not sure that will still happen.

We were going to go with epic local and head west for my youngest son’s senior February vaca but with the uncertainty we are now going with the Northeast epic as well.
We now are looking at 2022 for the western trip. Not sure if all 3 boys will have the same break but we’ll figure that out later. We were only bringing the youngest for his senior trip but my oldest will be a college senior so it may work out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

p_levert

As soon as you cross a state line, the risk of some sort of pandemic restriction goes up by a lot. Also, Vermont has shown itself to very cautious about this pandemic. So it certainly seems safer to go with a Ski3. And you will retain the possibility of buying a Kmart spring pass next March.

Killingtime

Well, if they don't maybe I'll take up ice fishing.

Ha! Yeah, this may be the year for me to forget about a pass product and start exploring some backcountry areas that you can hike into. Problem is the wife won't be digging that idea but if I sell it the right way there may be a chance. I'm still in wait and see mode as are most people, I think.

JimG.

Staff member
As soon as you cross a state line, the risk of some sort of pandemic restriction goes up by a lot. Also, Vermont has shown itself to very cautious about this pandemic. So it certainly seems safer to go with a Ski3. And you will retain the possibility of buying a Kmart spring pass next March.

Safer except NY is as lockdown happy as VT. And with a multi-billion dollar deficit in the state budget because NY closed up shop who is to say there will be any money for snowmaking?

You know, this might be the season I don't get any season passes.

Time will tell I still have a few months to see what happens before I have to deal with deadlines.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Safer except NY is as lockdown happy as VT. And with a multi-billion dollar deficit in the state budget because NY closed up shop who is to say there will be any money for snowmaking?

You know, this might be the season I don't get any season passes.

Time will tell I still have a few months to see what happens before I have to deal with deadlines.

Resorts out here are still non-committal. At least the local resorts are (Brighton, Alta, Snowbird). No passes posted yet. I think there is legitimate concern that the season may not happen or would be shortened.

machski

Resorts out here are still non-committal. At least the local resorts are (Brighton, Alta, Snowbird). No passes posted yet. I think there is legitimate concern that the season may not happen or would be shortened.
That's very interesting on Brighton especially. The East 3 Boyne resorts and Big Sky are all ending their pass sales on June 15th this year (may not offer them again later either). Brighton just says the savings dealine is July 6th this year but no pricing yet. Very interesting, wonder if the Cottonwood resorts are concerned access up the canyons will be limited this winter due to the virus.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app