• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

Edd

I remember skiing at BW and they place was loaded with lodge rats holding down tables. That will not be feasible I would imagine.

What about ski teams that would take up whole floors and have shit everywhere. I would imagine that too will not be feasible!

Hey, something good from COVID!

jimk

In Colorado now where almost everyone boots up at their vehicles. Back east we carried a boot bag into the lodge but booted up at the car on comfortable days. Indoor will likely not happen this year.

I think the fundamental difference between here and New England are the temps. As you all know it can get darn right cold on some days where here down right cold is like 10 degrees or higher even. Makes booting up at the car feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing about the two places I ski the most these days, the mid-Atlantic and Utah. And a cool morning in UT when it might be 10 degs, feels warmer, like 25 degs back East. I ski about 30-50 days per winter in recent years and probably experience a bitter cold ski day only once or twice a season. So operating out of my car and not using a lodge is generally not a problem. But I feel for those who usually ski in cold, harsh conditions for 20 or 30% of their ski days.

Will ski areas in New England erect open air tents with patio heaters to make outdoor booting-up or quick food breaks a bit more comfortable?

jimmywilson69

Rolled 2 epic local and an college epic local for my son. If I only end up skiing at my home mountain, 4 miles away, here in central PA then so be it. Hopefully I can get out west and up north somewhere.

jaytrem

Sounds like a really cool trip. But I am a little surprised at the detour over to Terry Peak. Is that place really worth the drive?

Of course it is, what a silly question! Everybody knows South Dakota has the best skiing!

Hopefully I'll find out if it's worth the drive. Probably is for me, maybe not so much for others. Have had some of my best days at out of the way places that are a pain to get to.

SIKSKIER

The big problem as someone had said is too many condos. Cannon has even an easier access off 93 but is no where as crowded(I understand it is another 15 minutes north of Loon).

Its really not 15 minutes more than Loon.By the time you go through town its maybe 5 minutes more as you know you exit right to the parking lot at Cannon.

Jcb890

For EPIC, does anyone know if you can roll over your credit to 21/22 rather than 20/21? Of course, it's impossible to get ahold of anyone at Epic. I've tried multiple times over the past couple of months with zero responses. Awesome customer service, really. What a shitshow.

jaytrem

For EPIC, does anyone know if you can roll over your credit to 21/22 rather than 20/21? Of course, it's impossible to get ahold of anyone at Epic. I've tried multiple times over the past couple of months with zero responses. Awesome customer service, really. What a shitshow.

I seem to recall that you cannot. But not 100% sure.

machski

You are talking credit from last season (19-20) towards a pass purchase this season? Not directly, no. You could use and buy a pass this season and not use and roll this passes credit forward, but any unused credit from last year's pass is only good this year is my understanding.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

You are talking credit from last season (19-20) towards a pass purchase this season? Not directly, no. You could use and buy a pass this season and not use and roll this passes credit forward, but any unused credit from last year's pass is only good this year is my understanding.

I think you guys are right.
I think we'd need to buy a 20/21 pass and then not use it by 12/8/20 I believe it is and then cancel/roll over to next season. Basically, I need to loan my money to EPIC for 2 years if I want to go that route.

jaytrem

I think you guys are right.
I think we'd need to buy a 20/21 pass and then not use it by 12/8/20 I believe it is and then cancel/roll over to next season. Basically, I need to loan my money to EPIC for 2 years if I want to go that route.

At least that's somewhat of a loophole. Do you need to have a legit reason to cancel? So many new rules I can't remember which way is up.

Jcb890

At least that's somewhat of a loophole. Do you need to have a legit reason to cancel? So many new rules I can't remember which way is up.
Early on, EPIC was making it so you had to have an injury or the season had to be canceled/cut short due to COVID. IKON, meanwhile, had stated from the beginning that anyone could roll over from 20/21 to 21/22 for any reason. EPIC's latest response I believe was to adopt the same policy as IKON - if you haven't booked anything or used pass by 12/8, you are able to get a refund/credit. Or maybe just a credit and not a refund, I'd have to re-read.

I hate to let the credit go unused, but I do not want to basically let EPIC hold onto my money for 2 years.

Personally, I already have an injury I'm recovering from (broken back 1/17 at Mt. Snow and surgery 2/20), so my season is a pipe dream right now. I honestly don't think my body will be ready until late season at best. I think I'd like to get back on snow though and not give up the sport, even after my injuries.
My wife is high-risk (kidney problems) and so this season looks like a wash for her - how can we ride all day or travel 2+ hours to a mountain and not use their restrooms, etc.? I also have zero faith in the mountains to actually control social distancing while in lift lines. That's just not going to happen. Lift ops can't manage the line properly without social distancing and COVID.
I just don't see how resort skiing/riding right now is at all feasible for high-risk people. Unfortunately, just part of the COVID world we live in right now - we're not willing to risk her health unnecessarily with her being high risk.

JimG.

Staff member
So, after breaking my brain reading the Sugarbush and COVID-19 threads I just got my Plattekill season pass to go along with my NY SKI3.

I may wind up using my Killington midweek pass as well as a hedge against Cuomo shutting everything down in NY. But VT is making thinking about skiing in VT this coming season way too complicated. Not what skiing is all about.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

So, after breaking my brain reading the Sugarbush and COVID-19 threads I just got my Plattekill season pass to go along with my NY SKI3.

I dont get that, how do you make a Platty season pass work financially? Not trolling you, as I'm sure you know you've read my thoughts on this before, but you have to be DEDICATED to Platty hardcore (and be naive to any alternative discounts) to make that work. That said, big congrats to you for skiing mighty Platty more this year. (> the place! I just think their SP price is nuts (or I'd be a pass holder).

JimG.

Staff member
I dont get that, how do you make a Platty season pass work financially? Not trolling you, as I'm sure you know you've read my thoughts on this before, but you have to be DEDICATED to Platty hardcore (and be naive to any alternative discounts) to make that work. That said, big congrats to you for skiing mighty Platty more this year. (> the place! I just think their SP price is nuts (or I'd be a pass holder).

Yeah the pass is expensive. But I need a weekend place to ski if I limit myself to NY for the season. The SKI3 areas are all going to be stupid crowded on weekends. So the Platty pass makes total sense to me in that scenario.

Before this season I would never have considered buying a Platty pass because it is so expensive, especially problematic since the place is only open 3 days a week. Even more an issue since I am retired. Then COVID happened and I realized if I don't take the Platty plunge this year I never will.

I'm not a skiing discount shopper; deals and discounts are irrelevant to me. Since I bought a K midweek pass instead of a full season pass the price difference worked out to a Platty pass this year. If I defer that K pass to 21-22 (not a given) I will pay less for passes than last season. That's about as far as I go with financial analysis of the situation.

I'm blessed to not have to worry about spending the money.

Pez

I bought a Butternut season pass for a discount price of $249. That at least covers me for the season with somewhere to go in my own state. I probably should have gotten something at Berkshire East because that place never gets crowded, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I also bought an Epic North East pass, also because I could get that on a discount. Not sure if I'll be able to use it, but with my current work scheduled it made sense to at least try.

JimG.

Staff member
I bought a Butternut season pass for a discount price of $249. That at least covers me for the season with somewhere to go in my own state. I probably should have gotten something at Berkshire East because that place never gets crowded, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I also bought an Epic North East pass, also because I could get that on a discount. Not sure if I'll be able to use it, but with my current work scheduled it made sense to at least try.

Two other places I will ski this season...Butternut and Catamount. Haven't been skiing at either place for decades.

Last edited:

Killingtime

Two other places I will ski this season...Butternut and Catamount. Haven't been skiing at either place for decades.

Had a good time at Catamount last year using Indy days. The new owners did a lot of work to it. I'll definitely go back again this year. Its a shame their nice new lodge may sit empty this year.

Zand

I'm still on the fence on what to do this year. I feel like I need to supplement the Ikon in the event that Vermont never loosens its restrictions but I know as soon as I buy another pass then they'll do just that. Indy pass seems like a good deal but wish there were one or two more good NH places on it like Ragged or Bretton Woods as insurance.

Feel like 95% of my Ikon use will be out west because Loon will be a madhouse and that might be the only place in the east accessible to me. Getting my money's worth wont be hard considering western prices, but it will suck not getting many days in here. Was gonna avoid Wachusett this year but idk, might have to bite that bullet.

urungus

Berkshire East pass is also good at Catamount and Bosquet (so you would have 3 places in Massachusetts to ski), and also allows you to purchase the Indy Pass “add on” for only $129

machski

I'm still on the fence on what to do this year. I feel like I need to supplement the Ikon in the event that Vermont never loosens its restrictions but I know as soon as I buy another pass then they'll do just that. Indy pass seems like a good deal but wish there were one or two more good NH places on it like Ragged or Bretton Woods as insurance.

Feel like 95% of my Ikon use will be out west because Loon will be a madhouse and that might be the only place in the east accessible to me. Getting my money's worth wont be hard considering western prices, but it will suck not getting many days in here. Was gonna avoid Wachusett this year but idk, might have to bite that bullet.
Doubt Loon is quite the "madhouse" you are envisioning given they will be severely limiting day tickets and Ikon passholders will need to make reservations (this they will limit those guests as well). Might actually be a great year to ski Loon.