• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

Newpylong

The big problem with Loon is its popularity due to proximity to 93. I've had quite a few good days there when it wasn't busy.

They can't move people up the hill fast enough.

Smellytele

The big problem with Loon is its popularity due to proximity to 93. I've had quite a few good days there when it wasn't busy.

They can't move people up the hill fast enough.

The big problem as someone had said is too many condos. Cannon has even an easier access off 93 but is no where as crowded(I understand it is another 15 minutes north of Loon).

p_levert

I just bought 3 indy passes. 1 for the wife, 1 for my 17 yo and one for me.
Noticed they were offering a 20 bucks option that if you didn't use a single day you would get your money back. I think their “The Get America Skiing Promise” gets rid of that and they should remove it. Also what ever they use for [FONT=proxima-nova, helvetica neue, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]eCommerce[/FONT] sucks as it is slow and locks up every time you click on something

The $20 for "Pass Protection Program: Get the full purchase price back if you aren't able to use a single day before 4/30/21" is odd, because the "Get America Skiing Promise" does offer the same thing, more or less. I would say the ""Pass Protection Program ($20)" sounds like an unrestricted refund, while "Get America Skiing" offers a $20 credit towards 21/22. But, I agree, it's confusing.

dlague

The big problem as someone had said is too many condos. Cannon has even an easier access off 93 but is no where as crowded(I understand it is another 15 minutes north of Loon).

I used to work the ski show for The Ride and Ski Card and Loon has a stigma about it with people from the Boston area. Loon has the condos as mentioned earlier and the town. Cannon has a bad wrap for some reason compared to Loon - wind no base lodging, no ski town? I did not mind since we had Cannon Season Passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

granite

Cannon is for skiers, everyday. Loon and Waterville Valley are both for Boston on weekends and holidays, I won't go to either of them during those times. Loon is great mid-week if you want to get a lot of vertical on groomers off of high speed lifts. Loon does have one of the best après-ski bars around though, the Bunyan Room.

dlague

I got a comp from the ski show and got to ski Loon once - it was a dated comp and it felt like the busiest day stayed at mid mount to get away from lines but the whole place got skied off quickly - never wanted to go back.

granite

Love Cannon access. One hour and 15 minutes for me to get to the Tram Station. Boot up and I'm at the summit in no time. I'm going to miss the Tram this winter if it doesn't run.

Puck it

Love Cannon access. One hour and 15 minutes for me to get to the Tram Station. Boot up and I'm at the summit in no time. I'm going to miss the Tram this winter if it doesn't run.

4 minutes now if we are allowed to park there.

jaytrem

I guess I'm going with at least the Indy Pass. Still hesitant to buy the Epic, but probably will. Pulled the trigger on Bozeman flights in late late Feb. Only 25k miles for non-stop round trip. If all goes well I'll use the Indy Pass for 2 days at Red Lodge and 2 days at Terry Peak. Then will hit the smaller WY places on the way back. Been wanting to do this trip for ages, but was waiting for Antelope Butte to reopen. With Sleeping Giant threatening to close I figure I better get it done soon. Should also be able to get 2 half days at Bridger at the beginning and end. Who knows if the trip will really happen, but at least I have something to look forward to.

thebigo

Would like to see Cannon set up an outdoor area to boot up at the bottom of Zoomer. Would be great for business at the Zoomer bar too!

I have been looking for a rigid folding bench to store in my truck. There is a reason every ski area bench is either wood or rigid plastic, booting up on a folding canvas chair will suck.

Edit: Never mind - dont why I didnt think of this sooner. A couple metal folding chairs will be perfect.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I have been looking for a rigid folding bench to store in my truck. There is a reason every ski area bench is either wood or rigid plastic, booting up on a folding canvas chair will suck.

A portable workbench will do the trick. I go this one on sale for $90 & it's plenty strong enough. Folds down or up in less than 5 seconds.

OIP.4mFkgDfALkiYLDG_8fOvtQHaEh

cdskier

I've been booting up at my car for years (never liked leaving anything in the lodge) so I'm well prepared for this change this season.

p_levert

I guess I'm going with at least the Indy Pass. Still hesitant to buy the Epic, but probably will. Pulled the trigger on Bozeman flights in late late Feb. Only 25k miles for non-stop round trip. If all goes well I'll use the Indy Pass for 2 days at Red Lodge and 2 days at Terry Peak. Then will hit the smaller WY places on the way back. Been wanting to do this trip for ages, but was waiting for Antelope Butte to reopen. With Sleeping Giant threatening to close I figure I better get it done soon. Should also be able to get 2 half days at Bridger at the beginning and end. Who knows if the trip will really happen, but at least I have something to look forward to.

Sounds like a really cool trip. But I am a little surprised at the detour over to Terry Peak. Is that place really worth the drive?

mikec142

I do one of those hopping, balancing acts to boot up in the lot. If I'm just driving back to the hotel I'll wear my ski clothes (or even if I'm driving from the catskills to home), but if I'm driving back to NJ from VT I'll do the quick change in the car in the lot. Although having a few of those folding canvas chairs might be a good thing at this point for lunch or Apres.

Assuming that I ski (I'd certainly like to), I'm more concerned about my wife and two teenage daughters than I am about me. I can pee in the woods and eat a PBJ in the car or on the side of a trail. Can also take quick warming breaks in the car. The trick will be to be able to park in a lot that's close enough to the base that I don't have to walk too far to get to the car. For me, not ideal, but totally doable. Not sure how much my kids will enjoy the outdoor bathroom thing...

The other thing is my wife barely skis these days. Mostly prefers to bring her laptop and/or a book and park herself in the lodge. Can't imagine that will happen at all even if it's allowed. She's either going to have to stay at the hotel or airbnb. I feel like lodging is going to cost me more this season than ever before. I was always ready to "rough" it because we weren't in the room much other than to sleep and shower. But now...

dlague

I've been booting up at my car for years (never liked leaving anything in the lodge) so I'm well prepared for this change this season.

In Colorado now where almost everyone boots up at their vehicles. Back east we carried a boot bag into the lodge but booted up at the car on comfortable days. Indoor will likely not happen this year.

I think the fundamental difference between here and New England are the temps. As you all know it can get darn right cold on some days where here down right cold is like 10 degrees or higher even. Makes booting up at the car feasible.

dlague

I do one of those hopping, balancing acts to boot up in the lot. If I'm just driving back to the hotel I'll wear my ski clothes (or even if I'm driving from the catskills to home), but if I'm driving back to NJ from VT I'll do the quick change in the car in the lot. Although having a few of those folding canvas chairs might be a good thing at this point for lunch or Apres.

Assuming that I ski (I'd certainly like to), I'm more concerned about my wife and two teenage daughters than I am about me. I can pee in the woods and eat a PBJ in the car or on the side of a trail. Can also take quick warming breaks in the car. The trick will be to be able to park in a lot that's close enough to the base that I don't have to walk too far to get to the car. For me, not ideal, but totally doable. Not sure how much my kids will enjoy the outdoor bathroom thing...

The other thing is my wife barely skis these days. Mostly prefers to bring her laptop and/or a book and park herself in the lodge. Can't imagine that will happen at all even if it's allowed. She's either going to have to stay at the hotel or airbnb. I feel like lodging is going to cost me more this season than ever before. I was always ready to "rough" it because we weren't in the room much other than to sleep and shower. But now...

You bring up a good point! We have friends that would share time taking care of children that were to little to ski and hang out in the lodge. Even parents with younger kids that do ski often do not have the endurance of a teen or adult. Those situations will be tough to manage if at all.

I remember skiing at BW and they place was loaded with lodge rats holding down tables. That will not be feasible I would imagine.

What about ski teams that would take up whole floors and have shit everywhere. I would imagine that too will not be feasible!

Ski areas will have lots to handle. Pisativity levels will increase for sure.