• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

BenedictGomez

No, it's quite hard to miss any news these days.

However, you misquoted me. I said, "production in meaningful numbers".

20,000 200,000 2 million, 20 million. Not enough. It will be a great start to innoculate the highest risk groups, but not enough for any sort of return to normal for this season which was the topic we were talking about.

I think they'll do okay. They had to build-out a pretty impressive system for testing, which shockingly didnt previously exist, and I imagine they'll lean on that heavily for initial distribution channels. And IMO the Trump Administration did something outside-the-box that was a bit of a financial gamble, but I think was really smart, which is, they already purchased the non-approved vaccine, which as you may imagine is completely unprecedented, and so it's already being manufactured as we speak. If it fails in trial, it's a multi-billion dollar toilet flush, but if it works, the Trump Administration will have undoubtedly saved lives with this gamble.

So let's guesstimate numbers, because it's what I do & I actually enjoy it. There are ~330 or so million human beings in America,and about ~5M are little tykes, so removing them gets us to about 325M. Each year, only about 40% of Americans show up for a flu shot. Now, surely there will be many Americans wanting COVID19 immunization that dont normally get the flu shot, but as evidenced by the thread there are surely also people who the media has sufficiently scared into not getting the "rushed" & "potentially dangerous" COVID19 immunization. So let's call that a wash & still go with 40%.

That get's us to a need for 130M people to be immunized. The government is already procuring 100M doses, so they should be set I think to vaccinate about 40% of the population who wants it relatively soon. This, of course, depends on them solving the logistics nightmare of roughly getting the right number of doses to the right places. There will surely be problems, and assuming the vaccine is delivered before January 20, 2021, you will surely hear about every one of them.

ScottySkis

There are a lot of things that most think Trump (or any sitting president) couldn't do, and yet he has managed to do them. He has no one to blame but himself with any such hesitation. I have largely voted Republican since I was 18, but this crazy train is completely off the rails. A vaccine is not going to get it back on - though for obvious reason, I hope it's available and safe ASAP.

What this postng by u have in last few pages have to due with season pass considering
Nothing at all all politics what is supposed have taken advantage
So glad I done on AZ.
And on better run Harvey NY ski blog fourms where people respect owner and administrators wiser about what ok to ski forum .

Newpylong

I *think* you're singling me out but it's difficult to comprehend. I have made next to no posts until the topic of vaccine arose in the past two days. Covid topics on this forum (for months), and in the real world are political charged unfortunately. But dully noted.

Last edited:

boston_e

What this postng by u have in last few pages have to due with season pass consideringNothing at all all politics what is supposed have taken advantageSo glad I done on AZ.And on better run Harvey NY ski blog fourms where people respect owner and administrators wiser about what ok to ski forum .
Thread drift always happens... this came up as the subject of how the release of a vaccine might help ski resort operations as the season progresses.

cdskier

Vaccine availability absolutely could be a consideration for some people in whether they want to get a season pass. So I think this is actually right on topic.

boston_e

Vaccine availability absolutely could be a consideration for some people in whether they want to get a season pass. So I think this is actually right on topic.

And indeed, could also change the situation regarding quarantine requirements for out of staters which will also affect season pass decisions.

Peoples confidence in the vaccine will also play a part in this and for better or worse, part of that has become political.

JimG.

Staff member
It seems that way... I am not anti-vax in any way (get the flu shot every year etc etc) but I have to say I agree with others and won't be first in line to get something that was pushed through via political pressure to try to help re-election chances.

You get the only point I was trying to make. Not anti-vax in any way, totally up to date with my vaccinations including shingles and pneumonia vaccine.

But I'm not going to be a guinea pig for this current shitshow.

ScottySkis

I *think* you're singling me out but it's difficult to comprehend. I have made next to no posts until the topic of vaccine arose in the past two days. Covid topics on this forum (for months), and in the real world are political charged unfortunately. But dully noted.

I ignored ing BG
This is for everyone who goes to far on AZ

JimG.

Staff member
They had to build-out a pretty impressive system for testing

This makes me laugh.

I tried to get a COVID test for my son who is currently in his first year of college and on campus. The school asked us to get him tested if we could. So I brought him to a local urgent care location and he was tested using the nasal swab. That was on July 28.

We heard nothing for 2 weeks. So by definition that test is useless now. When I called to find out if we would ever get a result we were told that tests for college or school was LOW PRIORITY and that we would get the results WHEN WE GET THEM. Awesome! Considering the number of colleges that are shutting down already I'm gonna have to call BULLSHIT on your use of the term impressive. BTW still no result on my son's now useless test.

IMO if ski areas are smart they will plan to operate as if COVID is unchecked and raging through the population.

machski

This makes me laugh.

I tried to get a COVID test for my son who is currently in his first year of college and on campus. The school asked us to get him tested if we could. So I brought him to a local urgent care location and he was tested using the nasal swab. That was on July 28.

We heard nothing for 2 weeks. So by definition that test is useless now. When I called to find out if we would ever get a result we were told that tests for college or school was LOW PRIORITY and that we would get the results WHEN WE GET THEM. Awesome! Considering the number of colleges that are shutting down already I'm gonna have to call BULLSHIT on your use of the term impressive. BTW still no result on my son's now useless test.

IMO if ski areas are smart they will plan to operate as if COVID is unchecked and raging through the population.
Wrong testing, think BG was referring to vaccine testing in his post.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

Wrong testing, think BG was referring to vaccine testing in his post.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I read it as COVID testing .... and that those same test sites would be used for vaccine distribution.. but who knows.

Regarding testing sites my experience is not unsimilar to Jim’s. I tried calling a few local testing sites in hopes to get tested for travel purposes. None of the sites I called could tell me if insurance would cover the test, how much it would cost if insurance didn’t cover it, or when I would get the results.

if testing were super easy resorts could probably open up more lodges etc for those who demonstrated a negative test.

skiur

I read it as COVID testing .... and that those same test sites would be used for vaccine distribution.. but who knows.

Regarding testing sites my experience is not unsimilar to Jim’s. I tried calling a few local testing sites in hopes to get tested for travel purposes. None of the sites I called could tell me if insurance would cover the test, how much it would cost if insurance didn’t cover it, or when I would get the results.

if testing were super easy resorts could probably open up more lodges etc for those who demonstrated a negative test.

Will they be testing at the door of the lodge? Passing a test means nothing. You can pass a test, leave the test room and get infected walking back to your car. The antigen test is more important I would say but apparently that test has accuracy issues. This ski season is going to suck. Hopefully by the 21-22 season a few vaccines are out and it won't be an issue anymore.

BenedictGomez

This makes me laugh.

I tried to get a COVID test for my son who is currently in his first year of college and on campus. The school asked us to get him tested if we could. So I brought him to a local urgent care location and he was tested using the nasal swab. That was on July 28. We heard nothing for 2 weeks.

Guy goes skiing. Takes a terrible tumble on a black diamond & breaks his leg. Guy blames Toyota for his broken leg because he drove a Land Cruiser to the ski resort.

Your blaming the Federal Government makes about the same sense as the guy blaming Toyota.

Also, just medically speaking, I agree with the response you were given. There are something like 25 Million college kids in America all going to school at roughly the same time. It would be a completely unreasonable expectation to think those tests should be prioritized during a healthcare pandemic, and I'd go further & say it's dumb of the college(s) to ask to test thousands of people with absolutely no symptoms all in the (I imagine) presumed hopes of possibly catching a person or two who is asymptomatic. Sounds far more like lawyer-repellent than an actual best practices healthcare policy. Especially if they were telling you to take the test in late July!

JimG.

Staff member
Guy goes skiing. Takes a terrible tumble on a black diamond & breaks his leg. Guy blames Toyota for his broken leg because he drove a Land Cruiser to the ski resort.

Your blaming the Federal Government makes about the same sense as the guy blaming Toyota.

Also, just medically speaking, I agree with the response you were given. There are something like 25 Million college kids in America all going to school at roughly the same time. It would be a completely unreasonable expectation to think those tests should be prioritized during a healthcare pandemic, and I'd go further & say it's dumb of the college(s) to ask to test thousands of people with absolutely no symptoms all in the (I imagine) presumed hopes of possibly catching a person or two who is asymptomatic. Sounds far more like lawyer-repellent than an actual best practices healthcare policy. Especially if they were telling you to take the test in late July!

I wonder if your opinion would be different if your daughter were old enough to be attending college this Fall.

I congratulate you on your proven ability to ignore the main point of any post you disagree with which was to call out your comment that the current testing programs nationally are, your word, "impressive".

Last edited:

Dickc

This makes me laugh.

Contrast that with MYSELF. I was scheduled to have surgery at MGH on August 11th. I needed a COVID test with a negative result no more than 72 hours prior to surgery. I had a test done in Lynn, Ma at the old Union Hospital, a sister hospital to MGH. I had the results at 8:30 THE NEXT MORNING. They were negative and I had my second fusion surgery on Tuesday August 11. Not sure if I'll be healed AND Rehabbed in time to ski this winter, but happily I can stand up straight without much pain for the fist time in a few years. Now the trick is to remember to stand up straight as I am SO used to stooping from the pain.

BenedictGomez

I wonder if your opinion would be different if your daughter were old enough to be attending college this Fall.

I assure you I'd have the same opinion, because the college's request is completely useless. Just because you dont have COVID19 on July 26th doesnt mean you wont have it on August 26th when kid's report to school. I really cant express enough how nonsensical that is. As I said, I'd put 10 to 1 odds on it being completely for their own legal protection. Why yes, "all our students have been properly tested, and are negative for COVID19", etc....

I congratulate you on your proven ability to ignore the main point of any post you disagree with which was to call out your comment that the current testing programs nationally are, your word, "impressive".

I seized precisely on your main point, and yes, you're laying blame at the completely incorrect party. If I'm at fault it's for not spending more time explaining the testing process to you, but at the end of the day, suffice it to say let's just leave it at the fact that the Federal government is not to blame for you not getting the test results quicker.

p_levert

I assure you I'd have the same opinion, because the college's request is completely useless. Just because you dont have COVID19 on July 26th doesnt mean you wont have it on August 26th when kid's report to school. I really cant express enough how nonsensical that is. As I said, I'd put 10 to 1 odds on it being completely for their own legal protection. Why yes, "all our students have been properly tested, and are negative for COVID19", etc....

I seized precisely on your main point, and yes, you're laying blame at the completely incorrect party. If I'm at fault it's for not spending more time explaining the testing process to you, but at the end of the day, suffice it to say let's just leave it at the fact that the Federal government is not to blame for you not getting the test results quicker.

BG- I would point out that JimG is complaining about the exact same thing that I have complained about. When you shorten somebody's post, you frequently twist the meaning around. Better to leave the "war in piece" original text than distort. But you didn't put in any bold this time, so good for you.