• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

Bosco DaSkia

indy_pass_logo.png

https://www.indyskipass.com

THE REVOLUTION GROWS!
Seven great new indies join 45 from last season giving you
52 uncrowded and authentic winter playgrounds for just $199.

Cannon Mountain, NH
China Peak, CA
Crystal Mountain, MI
Granite Peak, WI
Lutsen Mountains, MN
Sasquatch Mountain, BC
Tamarack Resort, ID

dblskifanatic

indy_pass_logo.png

https://www.indyskipass.com

THE REVOLUTION GROWS!
Seven great new indies join 45 from last season giving you
52 uncrowded and authentic winter playgrounds for just $199.

Cannon Mountain, NH
China Peak, CA
Crystal Mountain, MI
Granite Peak, WI
Lutsen Mountains, MN
Sasquatch Mountain, BC
Tamarack Resort, ID

Seems like a decent deal now in NE. I see six or so that I would ski. Bolton, Magic, Cannon are sure bets S6, Pats and Black and Abram are not mountains that I generally would visit but since they are on the pass I would do them. That becomes a decent price point for $199.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dblskifanatic

That does surprise me. I’m going Epic so I wasn’t paying attention to Ikon. Epic raises in September I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikon dangled a carrot that is like the pumpkin in the Cinderella story.

We are going to renew with our Epic Veteran Pass with 20% credit $447. No time pressure since we have until Labor Day.

Also going with A Basin Veteran Pass for $179 which includes 3 days at Monarch, three days at Taos and 1 day at Silverton plus 50% of Mountain Collective resorts.

skef

It's been extended, but not by months. On May 20 Ikon sent an email saying, "Ikon Pass Savings Extended. Prices Go Up on June 17."

Nonetheless, I just renewed. I also exercised the 80% credit I had on an unused 4-day Epic Day Pass. I also unpacked the brand new snowshoes I ordered in early March when I had visions of earning some turns...

Looking forward now, not back.

Dickc

You Are Receiving the New Zero-Day Credit

We are - and always will be - grateful for your support, feedback, and patronage. To honor the Ikon Pass community and express gratitude for pass holders, we are excited to offer several additional benefits to help ease the burden on those seeking adventure.

Now, any 19/20 Ikon Base Pass holder who used zero days between the time of purchase and June 30, 2020 will receive the new Zero-Day Credit for 20/21. Your current 19/20 unused Ikon Base Pass will automatically roll over to 20/21 and you will receive an Ikon Base Pass for 20/21 with no extra charge.

There is no action required from you at this time, we'll take care of it all. If you wish to upgrade your 20/21 Ikon Base Pass to an Ikon Base Pass Plus or an Ikon Pass, you will have the option to do so this fall.

More Confidence to Ride in 20/21

In addition to your Zero-Day Credit, your pass will include expanded Adventure Assurance.*

More Time to Defer Your Unused 20/21 Pass*
For any reason, if you don’t use your 20/21 Ikon Pass, you will have the option to defer the purchase price paid for your 19/20 Ikon Pass toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass using the new Zero-Day Credit — no questions asked. Now, you can make this decision anytime between September 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021 (previously September 10 - December 10, 2020).

Added Assurance Due to Possible COVID-19 Closures*
In addition, should any eligible Ikon Pass destination close due to COVID-19 between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021, Ikon Pass holders will receive a proportional credit towards any 21/22 Ikon Pass.

Ski a little, ride a lot, or roll the purchase price of your unused pass over to 21/22. Discover what's been expanded.

I could not use my IKON Base Pass pass because of back surgery that came up. I recovered my money as I also bought the pass insurance. Now it appears I am getting a free pass. Not sure its actually ethical to take it, but........

Zermatt

I could not use my IKON Base Pass pass because of back surgery that came up. I recovered my money as I also bought the pass insurance. Now it appears I am getting a free pass. Not sure its actually ethical to take it, but........

It's not just unethical, it is likely insurance fraud.

Dickc

I did not ask for it, and I'm not sure the insurance people know about it. For now, I'm just going to sit tight and see what happens. I did NOT send anything to IKON, and as of yet, had not renewed. Not really sure what is going on. I repeat, the email was unsolicited. Do I have a legal requirement to notify the insurance carrier, or would that fall to IKON?

Zermatt

I did not ask for it, and I'm not sure the insurance people know about it. For now, I'm just going to sit tight and see what happens. I did NOT send anything to IKON, and as of yet, had not renewed. Not really sure what is going on. I repeat, the email was unsolicited. Do I have a legal requirement to notify the insurance carrier, or would that fall to IKON?

If Ikon refunded you actual cash (credit card refund) you would likely have a legal requirement to return the money to the insurance company. Ikon is not going to talk to the insurance company though.

But....it is not a cash refund, it is credit for next season which has questionable value between $0 and the full pass price. Maybe you are never going to use it, in which case the value is $0.

Not sure what your obligations are, if any, and what I would do in your case.

cdskier

I'm a bit surprised Ikon didn't check with the insurance carrier first to see if anyone that fell in that "unused" category filed an insurance claim to get money back (unless there's some privacy laws/regulations that prevent the insurance carrier from sharing that info with Ikon).

On a related note, I received an e-mail from Ikon today as well. It stated they're expanding the terms of the Ikon Adventure Assurance program. So basically I got the 2nd half of the e-mail that Dick posted.

p_levert

Billo works for an insurance company?

Most people think of insurance companies as bandits, so any opportunity to wring back a few bucks is a good thing. Personally, I would keep my mouth shut and see if I could get a free pass. If caught, I would throw up my hands and say "I'm sorry, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong".

Sorry for the amorality...

Dickc

I purchased the pass insurance through the IKON website, and the carrier is Redsky. I was required by Redsky to notify IKON that I would be unable to use the pass, and I DID notify IKON of the reason, and that I would be making the insurance claim. After notifying IKON, all other details were between me and Redsky. Redsky did keep the insurance premium money, and as such, I got, through them, what I paid for. This is the payout line from the explanation of benefits:

Service Start Date End Date Amount Claimed Other Insurance Amount Ineligible ReasonCode Deductible Amount Approved
Ski Lift Tickets 12/01/2019 05/25/2020 $687.94 $0.00 $38.94 1 $0.00 $649.00

It explains I paid IKON 687.94 which covered both the 649 for the pass and the 38.94 for the insurance. The dates of Dec 1, 2019 to May 25 2020 (I Believe) explains the benefit period, and finally the 649 is the insurance payout. I do not seem to have a copy of the insurance contract from last year (I'm sure its a bit different THIS year). So I really cannot tell if I would be violating any provisions. What actually surprises me, is that IKON did not consult with the insurance to see who might have received an insurance refund.

BenedictGomez

If Ikon refunded you actual cash (credit card refund) you would likely have a legal requirement to return the money to the insurance company. Ikon is not going to talk to the insurance company though.

But....it is not a cash refund, it is credit for next season which has questionable value between $0 and the full pass price. Maybe you are never going to use it, in which case the value is $0.

Not sure what your obligations are, if any, and what I would do in your case.

I believe it is the same; the future services rendered do have a real cash value as unearned revenue. Alterra will record it as a liability on their balance sheet.

Most people think of insurance companies as bandits

Not most normal people.

Dickc

I believe it is the same; the future services rendered do have a real cash value as unearned revenue. Alterra will record it as a liability on their balance sheet.

Not most normal people.

While MY case has some ethical questions with regard to it, a person that bought an IKON pass to use in late March or April for a planned ski vacation, and never got to use it, will be thrilled with this email as they got zero use from their pass.

Dickc

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

While MY case has some ethical questions with regard to it, a person that bought an IKON pass to use in late March or April for a planned ski vacation, and never got to use it, will be thrilled with this email as they got zero use from their pass.

No doubt, those folks got screwed if there's no recompense.

machski

Ikon refunded him nothing, RedSky gave him his pass money back. Ikon kept the pass value originally paid by DickC. The only way insurance fraud would play here is if in some way DickC used his pass or another pass THIS season after saying he was injured. If Ikon decides he is eligible for the zero day pass push (he skied zero days) and he did his duty notifying them he would be unable to use his pass this season (he did), there is no insurance fraud on his part. This is now a business decision by Alterra and I believe DickC is in his rights to accept the 20-21 pass if that is what Alterra does for him. I would think it will come without an insurance coverage option, which would be right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

Ikon refunded him nothing, RedSky gave him his pass money back. Ikon kept the pass value originally paid by DickC. The only way insurance fraud would play here is if in some way DickC used his pass or another pass THIS season after saying he was injured. If Ikon decides he is eligible for the zero day pass push (he skied zero days) and he did his duty notifying them he would be unable to use his pass this season (he did), there is no insurance fraud on his part. This is now a business decision by Alterra and I believe DickC is in his rights to accept the 20-21 pass if that is what Alterra does for him. I would think it will come without an insurance coverage option, which would be right.

I agree with this. I would take it.

Dickc

Billo said:
I agree with this. I would take it.

I kind of came to the same conclusion after reading the insurance policy, and looking back over the claim I made. I certainly was not expecting a roll-over from the winter, and was trying to decide if I wanted to pony up for a pass, knowing I could roll it over before December 10. With the new offer, and the new roll over dates. I'm a pretty happy camper!

skicub

Is anyone else considering getting multiple passes, and deciding once things get going, whether to use or not? I’ve got a renewal discount for IKON, but am also considering a renewal discounted Boyne NE pass (from 2018) because I may do a seasonal rental at Sunday River. I figure if I decide not to do one, I can just roll it over. What say ye?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Is anyone else considering getting multiple passes, and deciding once things get going, whether to use or not? I’ve got a renewal discount for IKON, but am also considering a renewal discounted Boyne NE pass (from 2018) because I may do a seasonal rental at Sunday River. I figure if I decide not to do one, I can just roll it over. What say ye?

I'm going from a Killington pass to an Ikon but I already had ideas of doing that.