• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

Last year I had both the Ikon Base and Epic Local. This year thinking just Epic Midweek Northeast Pass w 20% renewal discount and a ski club rebate as icing on the cake plus an Indy Pass. Can always fill in some days w discounted online tix if necessary.

I really don't think I'm flying west next year so staying local should be satisfying enough as long as I'm not limited to lotteries and crazy systems as to how and when I can ski.

JimG.

Staff member
Looking like I'll be getting a NYS 3 in 1 only this coming season.

I'm sure local VT skiers will be thrilled this flatlander likely won't be a K skier this winter. Just won't spend big bucks on a K 365 pass with the somewhat misleading guarantee I won't get charged if they are closed. It is clearly more likely VT will close because of another shutdown but K will stay open which gets me nothing but a bag to hold. Having to spend 14 days quarantined before I can ski a day is a non starter here.

Pretty disappointing but I don't spend money on stupid.

boston_e

Looking like I'll be getting a NYS 3 in 1 only this coming season.

I'm sure local VT skiers will be thrilled this flatlander likely won't be a K skier this winter. Just won't spend big bucks on a K 365 pass with the somewhat misleading guarantee I won't get charged if they are closed. It is clearly more likely VT will close because of another shutdown but K will stay open which gets me nothing but a bag to hold. Having to spend 14 days quarantined before I can ski a day is a non starter here.

Pretty disappointing but I don't spend money on stupid.

We are thinking similar. Had fully planned on the 365 passes but won’t be doing it without some quarantine relief added to the pass holders promise. Pretty disappointed here too.

machski

I guess you could say we already have multiple passes by default since we went New England Platinum (includes Ikon Base). Figure what the heck, with the returning passholder discount now, cheaper than my NE Gold/Ikon Base last year. Not sure we are going west but will use the Ikon to ski around NE. May add an Indy for me too given the low cost and added areas in NE to hit up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
We are thinking similar. Had fully planned on the 365 passes but won’t be doing it without some quarantine relief added to the pass holders promise. Pretty disappointed here too.

I wonder how many others like us are out there?

boston_e

I wonder how many others like us are out there?

I would think there has to be a good number of us in the same boat.... although some will just ignore the quarantine requirement saying it isn't enforceable, some may purchase as soon as the quarantine is lifted not worrying about if it returns if there is a fall spike in cases.

I'd have to imagine it has affected pass sales by a decent amount though.

I think at this point, we are leaning on just doing Pico passes for the family this winter. We ski Pico a fair amount anyway and it is the lowest risk to cost option available.

snoseek

I'm waiting it out more. Was on the fence between ikon and epic. May go with a smaller local mountain of things aren't looking good. Maybe cannon again.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can tell you that I am hearing A LOT of ads now for IKON and EPIC. I think that, for multiple reasons, their pass sales are pretty dismal.

I feel badly for the smaller places. I don't think that the Pandemic is going to subside anytime soon.

drjeff

I can tell you that I am hearing A LOT of ads now for IKON and EPIC. I think that, for multiple reasons, their pass sales are pretty dismal.

I feel badly for the smaller places. I don't think that the Pandemic is going to subside anytime soon.

I could see the small(er) resorts looking at this 2 ways.....

The glass is half empty: everyone is going to buy the a mega pass since if there are limited ticket sales, that gives them more options to get to a resort to ski on the days they want, even if it's not their 1st choice

The glass is half full: More people may choose not to buy a mega pass out of fear of being blocked out of where they want to ski when they want to, and may look to buy a pass at a small(er) area where there may very well be less demand and greater likelihood to get out on the hill when they want this coming season

Consistent view: COVID-19 is a major pain the the ass to the ski industry!! :thumbdown:

JimG.

Staff member
Consistent view: COVID-19 is a major pain the the ass to the ski industry!! :thumbdown:

I fear it is going to make skiing less fun. And that for sure will lead me to ski less. Hoping that's not the case.

Still mulling what to do. I tend to think your scenario #2 will play out as true and smaller local areas will benefit. Which will make skiing those areas equally a PITA. Everyone is strategizing and you can be sure your "secret key to skiing success in 20-21" is being pored over by anyone else who skis too. A while back I posted elsewhere about buying an RV instead of a second home for skiing and what a great idea I thought I had. Lost interest in that idea when I read an article about the explosion of interest in RV's. The article was titled "Covid campers".

Just reading that made me want to puke.

Dickc

What ever happens, I am retired, so I can go just mid week if I want. If COVID does restrict daily number allowed, I've got a much better chance to ski weekdays while others work.

JimG.

Staff member
What ever happens, I am retired, so I can go just mid week if I want. If COVID does restrict daily number allowed, I've got a much better chance to ski weekdays while others work.

I'm retired too and mostly ski midweek.

I'm just as concerned that midweek skiing will get crowded too; some areas are already suggesting skiers look to ski midweek instead of weekends.

snoseek

I'm retired too and mostly ski midweek.

I'm just as concerned that midweek skiing will get crowded too; some areas are already suggesting skiers look to ski midweek instead of weekends.

Yep hospitality so midweeker for life. I live for midweek sleeper days. I'm worried these will become harder to score.

BenedictGomez

I read an article about the explosion of interest in RV's. The article was titled "Covid campers".

Just reading that made me want to puke.

WGO.jpg

machski

I would tend to think in New England right now, the Epic passes have a leg up on Ikon due to the fact that Epic has multiple unlimited areas in both VT AND NH. Ikon only has unlimited areas in VT which has been and continues to be one of the most restrictive states for non residents in the country. Guess we'll see how the passes fare.

drjeff

I would tend to think in New England right now, the Epic passes have a leg up on Ikon due to the fact that Epic has multiple unlimited areas in both VT AND NH. Ikon only has unlimited areas in VT which has been and continues to be one of the most restrictive states for non residents in the country. Guess we'll see how the passes fare.

I would also think that given the potential uncertainty and the distinct possibility of limited number of people on the hill on any given day, that the sheer larger number of resorts that are part of the EPIC pass in the East, when compared to the IKON pass could be a deciding factor for those on the fence about one pass or the other.

I'm not looking at this as say a Sugarbush is better than Okemo type perspective, but more along the lines of "I want to ski this coming weekend, and Stowe, Okemo, Mount Snow and Sunapee are already 'sold out' but I can still get a reservation at Crotched" kind of perspective."

For the consumer looking to maximize the number of days that they use their pass, the EPIC may end up having a distinct advantage if it is a limited customers per day situation for this coming season.

machski

I would also think that given the potential uncertainty and the distinct possibility of limited number of people on the hill on any given day, that the sheer larger number of resorts that are part of the EPIC pass in the East, when compared to the IKON pass could be a deciding factor for those on the fence about one pass or the other.

I'm not looking at this as say a Sugarbush is better than Okemo type perspective, but more along the lines of "I want to ski this coming weekend, and Stowe, Okemo, Mount Snow and Sunapee are already 'sold out' but I can still get a reservation at Crotched" kind of perspective."

For the consumer looking to maximize the number of days that they use their pass, the EPIC may end up having a distinct advantage if it is a limited customers per day situation for this coming season.
Agreed, multiple fronts give more insulation to be able to ski on the Epic vs Ikon this coming season.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Well think I made my decision. Indie pass and then get a 21/22 pass early to ski it in the spring or go with a spring only pass.
Hopefully Liftopia can reorg so I can supplement with tix from them.

Oh and will skin when I can, throw in some XC days

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

chuckstah

Well think I made my decision. Indie pass and then get a 21/22 pass early to ski it in the spring or go with a spring only pass.
Hopefully Liftopia can reorg so I can supplement with tix from them.

Oh and will skin when I can, throw in some XC days

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
That's what I'm doing. Throw in a handful of Cannon resident Wednesday's, or Magic throwback Thursday's or the like. See how it goes and pick something up in the spring if skiing is tolerable.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Got an email from vail today with a ten percent of code. Its been a couple years since I've had that pass. That tells me they're probably looking to drum up some pass sales. Coupled with the generous vet discount its hard to pass.