• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

Zand

I did the same...went with the base plus pass to,get Jackson. Thought about going to the regular but decided not to as Sugarbush going unlimited helps the base pass tremendously. Other than Killington theres no way i could get anywhere else more than 5 times anyway.

mikec142

I bought the unlimited. Didn't want to deal with blackout dates. Assuming a trip out west, it will more than pay for itself. If no trip out west, I'd need about 15 days to break even with what I pay by buying quad packs. But quad packs to Sugarbush only (while fantastic), lock me into skiing there only.

The addition of Sugarbush made it a tough decison, but the addition of Windham for day trips put me over the edge.

Last edited:

p_levert

I pulled the trigger last night and bought our Ikon Passes. I consider it a hedge on normalcy.

Worst case...the money is gone and the pass companies are bankrupt..maybe I get something back from AMEX. A little better is we don't ski and they are able to honor the unused value for next season.

Props on rejoining the Ikon family.

That's an extreme worst case. My worst case is that ski areas are closed for most of the season and I ski like 4 days. Then I get a partial credit toward 21/22. At the same time, I save a ton of money because I didn't buy airplane tickets, lodging, etc. I can live with the worst case.

Best case: uncrowded slopes, cheap airplane tickets, cheap airbnb's. Could be awesome.

mikec142

I can see a lot of different scenarios. The one I don't see is cheap airfare. Airlines have cut out so many flights that its hard to get direct flights anywhere and planes are packed even with less demand.

jaytrem

I can see a lot of different scenarios. The one I don't see is cheap airfare. Airlines have cut out so many flights that its hard to get direct flights anywhere and planes are packed even with less demand.

Yup, they were super dirt cheap when the virus started. Could have booked a Feb or early March trip but I was looking for last week of March and they were not available yet. Now prices have all gone up.

p_levert

I can speak from experience on this one, as I flew on a plane this past week. It's certainly correct that plane tickets won't be cheap if they continue flying at 2/3 capacity (empty middle seat). They were no bargain when I purchased. But, if the empty middle seat requirement is lifted, then prices could be very reasonable next winter.

FWIW, I give a mixed report card on the overall airport/airline experience. Yes, all the virus stuff is a big hassle. But it is actually rather pleasant to have an empty middle seat, empty garage at the airport, etc. Personally, I am not too worried about my health because I kept my n95 mask in place pretty much the entire time.

x10003q

Maybe ORDA will join the Indy pass and you have 6 days at the three locations. I think I am doing the local epic pass with the Indy pass, was thinking before all this virus stuff to do full epic, but unsure how airplane travel will be. Never thought ORDA would skimp on snow making, so many variables to analyze.

ORDA has a long history of skimping on snowmaking.

Wonder if this lead to New York State to privatize ORDA, New York State will have revenue issues for years to come, nyc I am worried is about to become the next Detroit economically.

NY State would have to change its Constitution (at a minimum a 2 year process) to try and have somebody else operate or own the 3 ski areas. The odds of that happening in our lifetime is zero.

Cobbold

NY State would have to change its Constitution (at a minimum a 2 year process) to try and have somebody else operate or own the 3 ski areas. The odds of that happening in our lifetime is zero.

Your right about that, I will be pushing up daisies before orda changes

JimG.

Staff member

I totally agree.

2planks2coasts

Pulled the trigger on IKON Base yesterday. Hate the idea of the big corporate megapasses, but the nurse discount is too good to pass up. Will buy an IndyPass when they go on sale in September.

Last edited:

bizarrefaith

Didn't see it mentioned in thread but Cannon has announced a similar season pass assurance program:

EARLY PURCHASE PASS ASSURANCE:
Valid through November 26, 2020*
*(Projected Opening: November 27, 2020)

100% Credit Option
Prior to our projected opening day, if you request a credit on your pass purchase, regardless of the reason, we will issue a credit for any reason, for the full amount you paid, to be used towards a 2021 - 2022 season pass.

Refund (fees apply) Option
Prior to our projected opening day, if you request a refund on your pass purchase, we will issue a refund for any reason, minus a $50 processing fee per transaction.

IN-SEASON PASS ASSURANCE
Dates Valid: November 27, 2020 - April 11, 2021*
*(projected closing)

ADDED ASSURANCE FOR COVID Health Crisis
Each quarter of the season takes 25% off of the pro-rated credit, but with added assurance that if the season is interrupted or ended due to a public health crisis, a pro-rated credit (with no fees) will be applied toward a future season pass purchase.

Effective November 27, 2020, our normal credit/refund policy applies:
Per our normal refund credit/refund policy, Cannon Mountain will consider credits or refunds for illness or injury or life-altering events that prevent you from skiing, with medical documentation - on a case by case basis. A pro-rated refund may be requested for illness or injury, but is subject to final approval and a $50 processing fee per transaction. As we enter each quarter of the season, a 25% reduction applies toward the pro-rated credit or refund.

JimG.

Staff member
Forgot about the Killington midweek pass. With my $150 voucher from last season that would cost me about $425.

So the end result is shaping up to be an Epic pass (either local or NE value depending on how cheap I want to be, leaning towards the local) and the K midweek.

I may still end up eating money somewhere but I've cut my pass expense down from over $2000 to only around $1000 for the coming season and I'm happy to let that ride.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As for us, wife is renewing her IKON.

My daughter and I are renewing Alta/Bird. We get IKON Base passes included this year. Not a bad deal, but I am now part of the "problem."

ScottySkis

The airline previously provided flights to Las Vegas through Orlando, but will now start nonstop service to Las Vegas, starting at $79 round trip after March 21.

boston_e

T minus 20 days until the Killington 365 pass goes off the market and other Killington products go up in price.

Keeping an eye on it, but without something in their pass holders promise about possible future quarantines we are thinking we are going to "pass" on the 365 pass. Bummer as we had really been psyched about it.

As of now we are still thinking simply doing Pico passes which is the lowest cost / risk option if things regress next winter. We can add on a few K tickets or a spring pass to supplment if needed and the price difference between the 365 for the family and Pico passes for the family leaves a lot of extra money we can use "A-La-Carte" if needed.