• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If only.....

drjeff

Had we never heard of COVID-19, based on the weather, and looking over, and over, and over at Killington's webcams today, today would of been one of those May ski days that would of been talked about for a long time to come.

Here's to the hope that mother nature will give us a repeat of a day/weekend like this in May for Spring skiing in the coming years!!

Stay safe everyone

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

dblskifanatic

I get it we drove through the mountains yesterday and the higher elevation mountains looked dreamy! Typically Loveland, A Basin and Breck would still be open but. .... looking the pics can one only dream.

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

This picture has me wondering - that half pipe looks pretty darn good! We have gotten at least 2+ feet of snow since the ski area shut down and Cooper looks like they are ready to go!

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mister moose

My Grammar taught me Dublin is the same as multiplying bye too.

mbedle

I love the fact that they had to mound snow down the middle of the half pipe to stop people from poaching it...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I can tell you that out here, in hindsight, March would have been good, April would have sucked. It was the driest April on record. May, at Snowbird, would have been decent.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
May 12th and North Ridge trails are 100% mid-winter coverage. Same with the Canyon snowmaking trails and the top of Pico. With regards to coverage this spring would've been all-time with Snowdon and the Canyon being able to run this coming weekend, the 16th and 17th, for the last time presumably as warm and wet weather finally arrives. I can recall the K1 running the first weekend of May but not beyond that. And not with full wall-to-wall coverage.

The Mt. Mansfield snowstake is at 58", average for May 12 is 30".

thebigo

Would need to do some research to verify but thinking the hottest day thus far this year was that Sunday in early January when it was around 70F.

machski

May 12th and North Ridge trails are 100% mid-winter coverage. Same with the Canyon snowmaking trails and the top of Pico. With regards to coverage this spring would've been all-time with Snowdon and the Canyon being able to run this coming weekend, the 16th and 17th, for the last time presumably as warm and wet weather finally arrives. I can recall the K1 running the first weekend of May but not beyond that. And not with full wall-to-wall coverage.

The Mt. Mansfield snowstake is at 58", average for May 12 is 30".
I wonder if the K1 old lodge demolition and new lodge build would have limited K's ability/willingness to have Snowdon/Canyon open with SS pod had the shutdown not happened. Most likely would have eliminated the K1 from running regardless.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I wonder if the K1 old lodge demolition and new lodge build would have limited K's ability/willingness to have Snowdon/Canyon open with SS pod had the shutdown not happened. Most likely would have eliminated the K1 from running regardless.

I heard the plan was to do a big snowmaking push down to Snowshed and running that lodge/lift/trail late into the season before transitioning to Umbrella Bar and the access road for Superstar late season.

machski

I heard the plan was to do a big snowmaking push down to Snowshed and running that lodge/lift/trail late into the season before transitioning to Umbrella Bar and the access road for Superstar late season.
I could see that, just not sure Canyon/Snowden would have been in play even with the late snow given the construction zone and that being the link. Guess we'll never know unless we get a late season repeat next year since the lodge plan will happen then.

Newpylong

Regardless of the amount of snow in the Canyon / off K-1 they wouldn't make it past the end of April/first weekend of May. There's been near wall to wall up there before and there just isn't the business to keep that much infrastructure running.

This week and last certainly would have seen most if not all lifts on/off wind holds, it's been ridiculous here.

I also heard about Snowshed, it would not have lasted long though. The flats bake quickly, take a look at the webcam - they did one big snowmaking push on Snowshed right before closing as it is.

kingslug

What are the odds of all this. Crazy pandemic..everything shuts down..then we have the coldest spring and latest snowfalls...OY