• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore replacing High Peak double with a quad this summer.

slatham

As I have heard and read from Vail, Alterra, Boyne etc, very risky to take down a working lift and hope no issues with construction this year. Which is one reason they have postponed just about every capital project (cash preservation must be playing a role too). If they go for it, I hope it works out.

cdskier

This is interesting...apparently the original plan (as RFP'd in Feb by NYS) was to replace the the high peaks chair in 2021, not 2020. In 2020 at Gore they were supposed to replace the Sunway Double.

Skytrac and LP was ultimately selected to do 3 fixed grip Quads for Gore and WF combined (although I'm not sure if they're all 3 this year or split between this year and next year).

With all the cancellations from other resorts, did LP have extra capacity and offer NYS a better deal to to everything this year maybe?

cdskier

As I have heard and read from Vail, Alterra, Boyne etc, very risky to take down a working lift and hope no issues with construction this year. Which is one reason they have postponed just about every capital project (cash preservation must be playing a role too). If they go for it, I hope it works out.

Well...Gore has somewhat of a safety net in that this isn't a "critical" lift. You could in theory still access all high peaks terrain without the lift being completed (but it would be a pain and you couldn't lap the trails as you'd need to take multiple lifts to get back to that terrain without a high peaks chair). Perhaps with Gore being owned by NYS itself they also feel confident that the ability to do construction won't be a problem.

machski

These are also Fixed Grip lifts compared to Boyne/Alterra/Vail where the vast majority were detaches and in Boyne's case, advanced D-Line detaches that required storage barns/buildings as well. Fixed Grips are a bit easier to assemble since on terminal is a simple return bull wheel and the other terminal just has the drive unit housing, drive bull wheel and hydraulic tension system. So a lot less risk in terms of timeline than a detach with two much more complex terminals to build up.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Perhaps with Gore being owned by NYS itself they also feel confident that the ability to do construction won't be a problem.

Perhaps with Gore being owned by NYS itself they also feel confident that the ability to extract $$$$ for capital expenditures from the populace won't be a problem.

Alterra, Vail, Mom & Pop's etc., dont have that luxury.

machski

So are/were the others.

But if you cant engorge yourself with "free money", you're quite likely to either delay or cancel your large capital projects.
I suppose to some extent, yes. But I will say it again, ORDA's lifts are FG and much easier to assemble on hill than Detach lifts which is what most of the actual "Corporate" owner purchases were. And in the case of Boyne, both the Kanc8 and Swifty6 are fully fabricated already in Austria and as such, Boyne has paid for and owns the actual assets already. Now, they haven't paid for the install true. But SK noted he hates the idea of owned assets sitting in storage rather than up and in use, but the install timeline this year due to the virus was too high risk to remove existing and still functional lifts. Lifts, which in both cases, are super critical and really do not have back-ups for the resorts.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

x10003q

The High Peaks double upgrade to FGQ might have been pushed up in anticipation of not using the gondola next season. The High Peaks chair is the only option to reach the upper mountain at Gore when the gondola is down. The HP double should have been replaced years ago, but, typically, ORDA is never ahead of the curve when it comes to lift replacement.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
The High Peaks double upgrade to FGQ might have been pushed up in anticipation of not using the gondola next season. The High Peaks chair is the only option to reach the upper mountain at Gore when the gondola is down. The HP double should have been replaced years ago, but, typically, ORDA is never ahead of the curve when it comes to lift replacement.

I fear the Gondola option just might not be there!

Bandit2941

That chair had character for sure.

The fallout from this pandemic could prove hard on ORDA. Tax revenues are going to be way down and it’s hard to justify pissing money away on lodges and lifts while cutting things like education.

BenedictGomez

The fallout from this pandemic could prove hard on ORDA. Tax revenues are going to be way down and it’s hard to justify pissing money away on lodges and lifts while cutting things like education.

Sounds like a challenge! The simple solution is to simply raise taxes on New York State residents again.

Kleetus

[SUP][/SUP]

Just please leave the terrain underneath it and around it mostly intact. Love skiing the Darkside and the liftline as well as glades surrounding it, although short, are some of the best on the mountain IMO.

Cornhead

[SUP][/SUP]

Just please leave the terrain underneath it and around it mostly intact. Love skiing the Darkside and the liftline as well as glades surrounding it, although short, are some of the best on the mountain IMO.
Yes, Betty loved that trail, don't f it up. I hate the chairs on the double, they have that weird bar with a piece in the middle.Weird contoured seats too, I think you have to sit to one side on it solo. It did add to the retro vibe of that area though. A great place to escape the crowds, usually.tapatalk_1589016541706.jpeg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app